Linkin Park Fan Questionnaire

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by DyingThing, Feb 3, 2013.

Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

What was the first song you ever heard of LP? What was your situation in time?
    New Divide (music video). At this point I was 12 and actually not even much interested in music. But I asked my father what band this is. He said "Linkin Park. Usually they do even harder music but if not I like them." I have never heard something like metal before so I was like :dafuq: even harder?

What was the first LP music video you watched? How did you watch it? (e.g TV, public, friend's house, youtube)
    see above

Talk about the first two Linkin Park albums you listened to regularly or owned, what was it you liked or disliked about them?
    the first one was ATS. since i wasn't much in that LP stuff i didn't like songs like WTCFM or Robot Boy. More that mainstreamy stuff like BITS. But I definitely loved The Catalyst.
    the second one was... meteora? i'm not sure. i lent it from the school library. oh that reminds of something (not so) funny. They had 4 LP albums in 2011. These were HT, Meteora, MTM and... LPU9. WTF?!? What's wrong with ATS? However I guess the LPU9 cd got me even deeper into LP. Thanks school! back to meteora: i guess i got faster into that album. i loved numb and breaking the habit (which i first heard when VIVA aired the live performance in Madrid)

What do your co-workers/friends think of Linkin Park?
    Well, in Switzerland people listen much house music and sometimes hip-hop (any language). Rock isn't really popular but still LP is like generally accepted, know what I mean? Many people have 2-3 LP songs next to Adele and David Guetta. But I don't know any real fans.

What were your initial reactions of each album which came out after you got into the band? What is your opinion of these albums now?
    Well if ATS counts (actually The Catalyst got me into the band, not New Divide - After New Divide i forgot about LP) I didn't really get into that concept album, but as stated above I really LOVED BITS. When Living Things came out I was already registered on the LPA so the situation was totally different. I was never disappointed by Living Things but it never REALLY blew me away.
    Today my opinion on LT is pretty much the same - ATS has become to one of my favourite albums. I enjoy listening to it in full length.
    What year/s have you enjoyed LP the most, and why?
    Sinc I've only been "active" for 2 years... I can't really answer this question. I guess LP is on a peak for me. But of course I can't know that yet.

Do you have one favourite live performance of LP? (Try and post a link in your answer)
    No. But I have to say that I appreciated the setlist from the Honda Civic Tour.

You have a friend who has never heard of LP, and has asked you to make a mixtape of five songs for them, what will your choices be?
    Hard to say. Probably 5 totally different ones.
    1. The Catalyst
    2. Papercut
    3. High Voltage
    4. Roads Untraveled
    5. Breaking the Habit
    If you could choose one member of LP (aside from Mike and Chester) to make a solo album, who would you pick?
    I don't think that would be necessary... but if I have to choose... Phoenix

List three songs which you think are indicative of the direction you would like LP to go in (Don't have to be LP songs)[/QUOTE]
    Hell, no , they shouldn't do something that already exists. LP, please go into new directions. Unexplored styles.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
    Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

Really cool thread idea!

A Place For My Head in late 2005. I had just started 6th / 7th grade and bought my first CD player. Naturally, my older sisters had both just gotten iPods and had a more developed taste in music. Since they had a broader spectrum of music than anything I had ever known, they made me a little mix-tape of a CD. It had everything from Sublime to Will Smith, but I was most interested in the one Linkin Park song that kept playing, APFMH. Also, the Fort Minor song Remember The Name was included in my track-list, and I began to notice Mike's voice more and more.

What was the first LP music video you watched? How did you watch it? (e.g TV, public, friend's house, youtube)

Breaking The Habit. I know I was at my cousins house, as he was a big fan of LP, but I don't remember when. What I can tell you is the music video made me a very confused fan. First of all, I was under the impression that it was just the intro to a new anime or something. Also, I never put two and two together in realizing APFMH and BTH were made by the same band because they were too different.

Talk about the first two Linkin Park albums you listened to regularly or owned, what was it you liked or disliked about them?

The first two albums I listened to by Linkin Park in their entirety were Hybrid Theory and Meteora. I was them out on YouTube, and to be completely honest, it wasn't until I became a more committed fan of the band that I was able to differentiate which songs belonged to which album. It's not that every song sounded the same, but instead that every song sounded like it could be on the same album as the other. On the plus side, though, the music I was hearing was so unlike anything I had heard before, very unique to them.

My close friends all understand I am a Linkin Park fan, and they'll jam with me every once in a while. In fact, my first time seeing the band live in 2011 at Madison Square Garden, I went with my four closest friends and had an amazing time. I did convince my friend Mike to join the LPU but failed to get him here at the LPA.

What were your initial reactions of each album which came out after you got into the band? What is your opinion of these albums now?

Minutes To Midnight: I loved the more organic feel to the songs. This album came out at a time when I was listening to more mellow music anyway, so I think MTM really solidified me as a fan of LP. Today, I don't listen to it on a regular basis. If a song gets shuffled into a mix, there's a 50/50 chance I'd play it, depending on my current mood.

A Thousand Suns: By 2010, I was a full fledged "soldier." I had watched all the LPTVs, bought the CDs, and was checking my three LP outlets regularly: LP.com, Mike's blog, and the LPA. My first taste of the album was The Catalyst on August 2nd, and I still remember rushing to my computer as soon as I got the email on my phone. I listened to it and immediately realized that this album was going to be nothing like I've ever experienced. Then, the snippets were released and there was (I think) a promo with a small piece of Wretches & Kings in it. I put that on a CD as soon as possible and couldn't stop playing the sample I had gotten. At the time right through today, I acknowledged that it is my favorite collective work by the band.

LIVING THINGS: The hype for this album had built so quickly with all the different games and promos circulating on the Internet that I began getting wrapped into it, impulsing me to join the LPU. It was thought that the band would work quicker than the past because of a quote that Chester gave, but after all the interviews I have read from the band, I took that with a grain of salt. Then, once the "potato" recording of BURN IT DOWN was made known, I started to realize that the 18 month goal could definitely be reached this time around. Once the real song was released, I knew instantly it was going to be a commercial hit: just what LP needed. However, after the album was released, the hype surrounding it for me wore off quicker than I would have liked. While songs like CASTLE OF GLASS and UNTIL IT BREAKS were incredible and timeless, in my opinion, but IN MY REMAINS and I'LL BE GONE didn't hit home as hard as they originally did. I still listen to songs from the album and I wouldn't say I'm disappointed in LIVING THINGS, but it does leave a little to be desired.

I think I answered this in another thread at one point, but I'd have to say the Road To Revolution days after Minutes To Midnight but before A Thousand Suns so 2008 through 2009. This is when I really began my following of the band and it seemed like they enjoyed themselves so much in all the videos I watched. In addition, it was at this time that I started to feel like I knew each member's personality and human side rather than just the lyrics they sung and instruments they played.

Do you have one favourite live performance of LP? (Try and post a link in your answer)

[video=youtube;5txD-KMOPtc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5txD-KMOPtc[/video]

It was the second LP show that I went to and I couldn't have been more impressed with the whole experience. Between all the activities at the Summit, like meeting other LPA and LPU members, seeing the instruments, meeting the crew, going to the Hard Rock Cafe (for free), meeting the band, and ultimately, seeing a fantastic show, I might be bias towards this one in particular. Also, I one an individual picture with the band and the opportunity to see the first three songs in front of the pit. Still to this day, out of the dozens of pictures I took, I want to relive that feeling of hearing A Place For My Head start that concert off right.

ChesterCamden.jpg

ChesterCamden2.jpg

MikeCamden.jpg

MikeCamden2.jpg

You have a friend who has never heard of LP, and has asked you to make a mixtape of five songs for them, what will your choices be?

1. With You
    2. Breaking The Habit
    3. Waiting For The End
    4. The Catalyst
    5. CASTLE OF GLASS

If you could choose one member of LP (aside from Mike and Chester) to make a solo album, who would you pick?

This question forced me to do some thinking, but I know I can narrow it down to Brad and Joe. While I think Joe would be more likely to put out a solo album as we have heard solo material from him before, I would choose Brad. His contribution has been appreciated more and more over the past few years and it would be interesting to see what kind of songs he could come up with.

List three songs which you think are indicative of the direction you would like LP to go in (Don't have to be LP songs)

Sticking to Linkin Park songs, I would say:

1. Waiting For The End
    2. The Catalyst
    3. UNTIL IT BREAKS

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

It was 2003 and I was at my mom's house for the weekend. I was on the computer and listening to the music on there when I saw the track My December in the music library.

I'm not entirely sure what my first music video from LP was. It was probably Breaking the Habit.

Talk about the first two Linkin Park albums you listened to regularly or owned, what was it you .liked or disliked about them?
    Hybrid Theory was the first album I listened to regularly and owned. I got that in 2004 for Christmas. The thing I loved about the album at the time was how loud it was compared to all the other music I was listening to at the time, and that, and yes I'm going to sound corny as fuck when I say this, it "spoke" to me.
    Minutes to Midnight was the second album I owned from LP, and I loved how different it was compared to their older material. But I really disliked No More Sorrow.
    My friend Renee rolls her eyes every time I even mention them in public. Kirsten likes them, but prefers their older stuff (then again, her favorite band is Evanescence). A girl I work with named Jessica thinks they are awesome, and was thrilled when I told her that LIVING THINGS was coming out, and I burned a copy for her once the album leaked.

Hybrid Theory:
    Then - Being 14, I thought this was the greatest album of all time, and at the time, had decided that In the End was the best song in the world.
    Now - It's been awhile since I even bothered listening to the album, but I do appreciate what it did for me back then, and usually only listen to it if I want to feel nostalgic.

Meteora:
    Then - Back when I first listened to this album, I thought it was a definite improvement of the band as a whole. At the time I had fallen in love with songs like Faint because Mike sounded fucking dope, and I loved the flute on Nobody's Listening.
    Now - I don't entirely hate the album now. I do thoroughly enjoy Lying From You, Faint, and Breaking the Habit, but songs like Somewhere I Belong, Numb, and Hit the Floor are really just awful.

Minutes to Midnight:
    Then - I bought this album straight after school at Target, and I still have my original copy. I loved how different it sounded, and was really surprised when I heard Chester drop the word "fuck" in a song, and when I heard Mike actually sing on a track. Though, having listened to QWERTY beforehand, I was, at the time, kind of disappointed to not see that on the album.
    Now - This still remains to be one of my favorite albums from the band because of how different it is from their previous records. Though, I really don't like No More Sorrow.

A Thousand Suns:
    Then - This was an exciting time for me being a Linkin Park fan. I had just joined this site and was excited to see what direction Linkin Park was going. When the album's tracklist came out, I got excited to see that there were more tracks on this record than there were on any previous studio release, not including Reanimation. When the album was finally released, I loved how epic it started off as, and how it continued on throughout the album, with tracks like When They Come For Me, Blackout, Wretches and Kings, and The Catalyst. I probably spent about $150 - $200 on this record alone, between the standard edition, iTunes special edition, Digipak special edition, ATS+ (2 copies, the DVD wouldn't work correctly and I couldn't get the concert MP3s off it), and the box set.
    Now - I still love this album almost as much as I did when it was released. Some of the charm kind of wore off, but I still give it a listen to every once in awhile.

Living Things
    Then - I was super hyped for this album, and had gotten excited when Burn It Down was announced, and had listened to the :potato: recorded leak of the track. When someone who worked for iTunes streaked the album too soon, I got even more excited and listened to the album more and more and more and more until they took down the stream. My mom had pre-ordered the album for me for my birthday.
    Now - I rarely listen to this album anymore. The mixing and mastering of this album is a joke, and Manny and Brian should be shot for doing such an awful job at doing so. The first half of the album, with the exception of In My Remains is just blah, while the second half, with the exception of Powerless, is a lot more of what I'm looking for when it comes to new LP music. Until It Breaks is my favorite track off the album, with how crazy I feel it is.

Hmm, this is a hard question for me to answer. 2008 was a good year for me, because that's when I first joined the LPU, and I had first heard demos/b-sides that I had no idea existed (with the exception of My December)

I did happen to enjoy the live performance of High Voltage on the LPU 2.0 EP.
    [video=youtube;YRmyPVqIyBQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRmyPVqIyBQ[/video]

1. Papercut
    2. Breaking the Habit
    3. Leave Out All the Rest
    4. Blackout
    5. Until it Breaks

I think Joe Hahn could put out some sick shit on his own. I would really love to own the MP3s to the tracks he did for The Seed.

List three songs which you think are indicative of the direction you would like LP to go in (Don't have to be LP songs)
    Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence
    Aesop Rock - Crows 1
    Coheed and Cambria - The Running Free

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

The first song I heard was Papercur. My older brother said I'd like this band. He had Hybrid Theory, I loved it. ITE was my favourite. I was in bed when I first listened.

One Step Closer on Kerrang.

Hybrid Theory and Minutes to Midnight. I loved Hybrid Theory. I always listened to it. It felt different. I lost interest in LP and never heard Meteora. Transformers came out and I was and still am a huge TF fan. What I've Done got me back into LP. My older brother(the same one who showed me HT) got me MTM for my birthday. I expected heavy stuff. Was disappointed but I loved Bleed it Out. But eventually Shadow of the Day became my favourite for a long time. LP's new style grew on me and I rather their softer side.

A few of my friends like LP. One of my friends has Skin to Bone as their ring tone.

Hybrid Thoery: Then: This is cool as fuck. Now: meh.
    Meteora: Then: This is okay. Now: No, except for BTH
    MTM: Then: Okay, not enough rock stuff(I was a stupid 11 year old) Now: 2nd best album
    ATS: Then: What the fuck? Now: Best album ever
    LIVING THINGS: Then: This is amazing. Now: It's good but not great

2009 because it was the year I started to really discover all of their music.

[video=youtube;y1b7V43vs9k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1b7V43vs9k[/video]

Iridescent
    Waiting for the End
    Castle of Glass
    The Little Things Give You Away
    Roads Untraveled

Brad, because he can sing, maybe he can improve his guitar skills about too.

[video=youtube;c901NUazf3g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c901NUazf3g[/video]

[video=youtube;kh_YCSW5lPc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh_YCSW5lPc[/video]

[video=youtube;NK2j5Q_N3U0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK2j5Q_N3U0[/video]