All City Chess Club: A Hip-Hop Supergroup

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Minus, Oct 14, 2010.

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

Chalk it up to difference in opinion. I still think Jin is weak in a way. In an unfocused kind of way. I hear good lyrics but not good songs.

But yeah you're right I haven't been following him nearly as closely as before. Mayb I'll start that when I get home.

And Casey, who is a non-underrated rapper to you? If you say they all are I will assume your opinion is null and void. lol

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

It's funny because he's talking about overrated rappers and I distinctly remember at one point in time Casey saying that Ayo Technology was one of the best songs of the year, along with several Lil Wayne songs, Soulja Boy, and Kanye West. If they AREN'T overrated and the rappers of ACCC ARE, I don't understand music apparently.

EDIT: Did a quick search, and yeah. http://www.lpassociation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26558&p=730162&viewfull=1#post730162

Justin V.

Awwwwwww HECK NO. If anyone, Wayne is overrated. He has hot songs and lines for sure, but the sheer volume of stuff he puts out makes him pretty unbalanced. He puts out more crap than quality stuff and he gets off topic so wildly it's almost comical.

Minus

Not to mention Drake ghost-writes for him.

Justin V.

And he's gotten old. He's kind of a one-dimensional rapper. Heard a couple of Drake songs, heard them all. I like the album but all of his features seem kind of blah.

Vary your flow rappers! Your tone! Tempo! Meter! Something!

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

I agree with Justin about Cudi. I don't see him as a legit rapper at all. He's more of a singer than a rapper. And he does what he does pretty well, so I give him a pass.

Paul

Paul The Ultimate Victory LPA Super Member

Kid Cudi: Like I said in another thread, he's good at what he does. Would I call him a rapper? Not really. Does he make good songs? Yeah.

Jin: Amazing battle rapper (although Serius Jones ether'd him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RecixSk6OGg&feature=related) but not that great of a song-writer. His stint with the Ruff Ryders was short and forgettable and the album he put out under that label was not very good. I actually have heard his new stuff recently, and it sounds like an improvement. Isn't he a devoted christian now?

Lil Wayne: I don't care what anybody says, Wayne is one of the best rappers lyrically. The problem with him however is that he over-saturates himself by releasing a lot of music and being featured on a lot of songs...and I'll be honest, most of it has been garbage and some of it was average. I think with Weezy is that when he wants to make a dope album, he can. But when he's trying to promote his other artists (Young Money) on their songs, he's just horrible. That's why I think when he gets out of prison he's going to return back to the Carter II days when he was untouchable as an MC. You can flame me all you want, but you can't deny Lil Wayne rules the mixtape circuit.

Drake: I like Drake. He's an average rapper but he sure does know how to write a hit. Do I think he writes for Lil Wayne? No. If you have followed Drake his whole career, his flow changed when he signed with Young Money so I actually wouldn't be surprised if Wayne writes for Drake.

ACCC: I wouldn't really call any of those guys overrated (minus B.o.B. And I can understand why people would call Lupe and J. Cole overrated). I actually consider Blu one of the most underrated rappers we have today.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
    danielakatoxic

danielakatoxic Active Member

Wouldn't happen. Wale is beefing with Cudi.

For the Diggy comments. His raps are subpar, but I'm going to assume his dad/label are forcing him to rap a certain way until he is of age. THat being said, for his age he's good. Compare him to Bow Wow, and Lil' Romeo... he blows them out of the water. Heck compare him to his brother. Jojo just needs to quit before his brother makes a diss track. LOL.

I've actually never came across people disliking Cudi. Minus and I have listened to him before he became mainstream, and I've recently realized some people STILL don't know who he is. I can admit he has a different style and isn't a straight rapper, but to not classify him as a rapper? Take a look at Chamillionaire. He's known for singing a lot in his songs and this guy is a straight up rapper. B.o.b also sings a lot? Even Drake? Does that mean none of these artists are rappers now because they happen to sing just as much as they rap?

Back on topic. ACCC is broken. It's a bunch of dudes that are considered "different" in the rap game. Youngsters to the game, and they all come from a different area with their own unique flow. I'm all for it and awaiting another dope track from them.

p.s Don't hate on The Cool Kids. They keeps it crunk.

Minus

This.

Although I will bow out in shame at not knowing Wale was beefing with Cudi. Haven't been keeping up in that regard.

danielakatoxic

danielakatoxic Active Member

Jin is a devoted Christian now, so you're correct. To be perfectly honest when it comes to anything besides freestyle, Jin sucks. The moment he signed with Ruff Ryders. Thats when he fell off. It was just a downward spiral of awful. Don't get me wrong, I'm asian myself and I liked his freestyles. Just dont try to make real music. He's just not good at it. Check out his youtube page if you're curious. I do want to warn you though. It's bad.

btw. He also likes to kill cyphers. What a dick

Abel

Abel Chester Bennington saved my life.

I love this. Diggy's actually one of my favorite upcoming rappers right now. Kid's got sick talent.

And of course my head exploded out of sheer joy at reading Lupe Fiasco.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Please do not use the word "imba". Thank you.

Song's alright. Haven't really been keeping up with any of these guys aside from Lupe, but sounds like it has some potential at least.

Paul

The funny thing is that Cudi referred to him as "a simple ass rapper". Oh the irony.

Minus

I'll quote Daniel on this one:

This is the first place I've seen so much hate on Cudi. Refreshing in amusing. Although in my opinion, he's a rapper. Deal with it.

I'll say what I want to say. Because the word imba is ridiculously imba.

Justin V.

He's definitely a rapper, just not a good one. Lyrically and creatively he's average as a rapper. (Mixtape) Chamillionaire would destroy him. Even B.o.B is subpar to me. He writes great songs but as a rapper it's subpar.

It's not an issue in their albums but when you talk about something like ACCC, where the imphasis is obviously on being very lyrical, nuh uh, remove them. I feel like ACCC should be Lupe, Asher, J. Cole and Wale.

Cudi is not HORRIBLE, but up against those four his lyrics look like trash and there's no disputing that. There's no point in which I could see a Cudi verse on a ACCC outdoing those four and saying "Wow he went nuts on that verse" because that's not really what kind of rapper Cudi is.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Cham, Drake.. they all sing, fine.. but they rap more. They have more straight up rap songs/verses than singing tracks. Cudi is the exact opposite, plus unlike the people you mentioned his rhymes are way too simple to be considered as legit rap verses imo.

Justin V.

I will end with this:

I don't hate Kid Cudi. He's got some awesome tracks. I will boil it down to this: the rap/sing/not quite singing thing he does 99% of the time. It just kind of grates on me. Sometimes with a rapper you just want to hear them RAP. But he still seems to do that rap/half-sing monotone voice thing. Most rappers (most, I won't generalize) rap how they talk. When you rap and talk it should sound pretty much the same. So hearing him just talk and do the rap/sing thing is annoying to me. Hearing that on a track with Lupe would make me hit skip lol

Paul

Saying Cudi can't rap is nonsense. He can rap. He can rap pretty decently actually.

[youtube]9GmsZee3uCU[/youtube]

(Cudi is on the second verse. Chip Tha Ripper ftw.)

What I was trying to say about him is that I would not classify him as a rapper based on that fact that 80% of his discography involves him singing on some way. It fits him better when is just singing and the result of that is him putting out dope music (MotM was AOTY worthy).

Minus

Okay, that makes a lot more sense. I thought you were saying he wasn't a rapper outright because he couldn't rap.

Justin V.

1) I like that. But he doesn't do that very often at all, which is my problem with him. Purely a preference thing

2) He's really jacking Kanye's flow on that though lol

3) That song you showed me shows he can rap but I get the feeling it's just not what he likes to do a lot of the time, while I'd rather be on that Lupe Fiasco "Failure" or "Trials and Tribulations" shit. It was impressive for Cudi, but not impressive in the scope of rap.

If you go to any other major hip-hop site there's actually a lot of Cudi hate lol. I wouldn't say hate really, but most stans or hip-hop heads (however you define that) think he's wack. But again, it's because he's not trying to impress on that lyrical shit, he's more about writing a good song period (Lupe to me is really weak on choruses).

But for trying to beef with Wale he gets a permanent L from me. Wale would destroy him. I see no reason for rappers to go at each other but he had to go at Wale.