What movies did you recently watch?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Hybrid Soldier, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - 10/10

I've seen it maybe 10 times by now. It's comedy and writing at its best. I can't decide which part is my favorite even.

2. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

The Shawshank Redemption

5/5

Such a complete story. Loved it.

3. SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

This weekend I bit into two very interesting pieces, both of which were box office flops in their time that gained a big cult following thenceforth (not Rocky Horror big, but definitely out there):

Scarecrow (1973)

[​IMG]

Of the two films I saw I liked this one the least, but I found its message and cinematic style powerful nonetheless. It's about two hitchhikers (the synopsis calls them "vagabonds," but they're an ex-convict and an ex-sailor) who meet on a dirt road somewhere in California. The ex-convict, Max (Gene Hackman), is a short-tempered schemer with his heart set on hitchhiking his way to Pittsburgh and opening up his own car wash; the ex-sailor, Francis Lionel "Lion" Delbuchi (Al Pacino in an early major role for him), is a goofball who's headed for Detroit to deliver a birthday present to his five year-old child who he's never met. The two make a pact to travel together (Max has a stop to make in Denver himself, and pledges to go with Lion to Detroit), and stop in Pittsburgh to establish the car washing business together.

What follows is a truly amazing journey, which, without giving too much away, reveals our two heroes to be scarecrows of a fashion, each in their own way. The ending is very abrupt and very sad, but I found the whole thing very moving. Upon a bit of research, both Hackman and Pacino have commented on their love of the movie, and I know one of them said that they looked at their role as one of the best performances in their acting career.

I give it a 7/10.

Two-Lane Blacktop (1971)

[​IMG]

The poster says it all: James Taylor, Warren Oates, Dennis Wilson, and Laurie Bird. The description on the YouTube video said it best, so I'll just copy their synopsis: "The Driver (James Taylor) is a car-obsessed racer with stringy hair and a concentration that precludes conversation. He travels the backroads of rural America with his buddy, The Mechanic (Dennis Wilson), an equally obsessed lost soul at home only in the car or under the hood. They have no names, only designations, and no life outside of their gypsy existence, riding the unending highway in their souped-up '55 Chevy from race to race." It goes without saying this is a film for car nuts, and much of the cult following derives from auto obsession. Me, I get something different:

This second one I can understand people calling it the slower movie, but I really liked the pacing of it, because it allowed the viewer to take in the atmosphere of the world they'd created so much more (ironic considering how many high-speed driving scenes there are). I like this movie for the same reason I liked the previous one, for the same reason I like Easy Rider and for the same reason I expect I'll enjoy Vanishing Point once I get around to seeing that: because it really gives a sense of what life was like and what the cultural mood was like in post-Woodstock America. For all the great progress made by the cultural revolution of the 60s, there was also a pervasive sense that the people who cared (civil rights activists, hippies, anti-war protestors, etc.) were powerless to effect any meaningful change in a country that seemed increasingly uncaring: the problems were too big and the people who wanted to do something about it too small (Ed.: Upon rereading this, I realize I've way oversimplified this cultural-historical factoid, but I'm sure y'all don't wanna have a lengthy history lesson while reading a movie review). In short, the aimlessness and hugeness of the film's world convey something of the national trauma felt during the late 60s and early 70s.

This film also ended rather abruptly, and it was even surprising for the standard set by Scarecrow. Also, it's so ambiguous that I'm not even sure whether to call it a happy or sad ending, so don't go in hoping for a Hollywood ending.

I give it 8/10.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  4. iNuBBiN

iNuBBiN Well-Known Member

Takers- 8/10.... I really enjoyed this movie. I recommend it if you like these kind of movies

5. Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

An American Haunting

6. El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

All 6 Star Wars films. 20/10

May the force be with you.

7. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

The A-Team - 7/10.

Probably the most enjoyable movie I've seen in awhile. It was just fun the whole time.

Alien - 8/10 and Aliens - 8/10

Such old-school movies that have withstood the test of time brilliantly. Saw them for the first time the other night and was blown away with how well-made they were. Stories are awesome. They're even more awesome for inspiring the Metroid universe.

8. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

The Human Centipede.
    It's just wrong.
    No rating.

9. Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

Why would you even watch that? :lol:

The Green Hornet 3D - 5.5/10

10. MKH

I'm naturally rather curious :awesome:

11. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

The Social Network - 8.3/10 It was a good movie, but the dialogue was almost too perfect to even be believable.

12. MKH

My thoughts exactly. At least on Eisenberg's part - Garfield was rather convincing, especially in the second half.

13. Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

Black Swan - Quite interesting. I need to see it again to properly to take it in, wasn't really in the mood for that type when I saw it.

The Incredible Hulk - I like this more every time I watch it. Norton & Tyler work great together.

Star Trek - Loads of fun. Well made. Quinto as Spock was great casting.

The A-Team - Didn't see this in the cinema, thought the trailers looks pretty bad, but I ended up really enjoying it.

Robin Hood (Russel Crowe) - I think it's a shame a lot of people let their preconceptions of what Robin Hood "is" get in the way of a really solid, fresh take on the myth.

Funny Games - Awful.

Just starting Leathal Weapon 1 now. Classic.

14. MKH

My 2nd favorite fucking movie of all time :awesome:

15. _cam_

_cam_ Well-Known Member

Maybe it works for you. I don't know. I gave 5 for its cinematography but the storyline was just crap.

This was my exact reaction when I saw the trailer. :lol:

16. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

[​IMG]

:awesome:

17. MKH

LMAO.

There's a sexual parody film out, too: The Human Sexipede.

18. Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

Let Me In

19. MKH

How was it? I've heard reviews of it and have had it downloaded for the longest time, but I haven't checked it out. Tell me it was awesome? [​IMG]

20. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

[​IMG]

Shanghai Kiss

9/10

Do not judge the film by it's front cover (seriously..) and instead get a taste from the trailer itself instead. It's a really enjoyable, and relatable film. Absolutely loved it. I can also see why so many fell for Ms.Panetierre since her debut in the mainstream. Definitely put me under her spell with this one.

Definitely check it out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.