President Barack Obama/World News & Issues Discussion

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Todd, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Theazninvasion68

Theazninvasion68 It's like blood to a vampire, our tragic desire. LPA Super VIP

...Which is exactly why I think its funny.

2. SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

Well here's the thing: the planet as a whole is warming; over the next century the global temperature is expected to rise 2-3 C, an increase that is normally supposed to occur over approximately 40,000 years (with the tilt in the Earth's rotation). Nobody's really sure what to expect after that; if the thermohalene conveyor belt stops, we could actually end up seeing a global freezing: everything beyond the equator remains (rather permanently) at -20 C. If the thermohalene system is instead sped up, we see global warming: more frequent and more severe weather events, more droughts, frequent flooding, and possibly Japan and other small islands totally submerged. Either way it's not a pretty picture, but the latter could lead to a runaway greenhouse effect, which, if it does indeed come to that, could mean (literally) the end of the world as we know it, a.k.a Earth turns into Venus.

3. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

The key word here is "climate." Just because we're getting exceptionally cold weather really doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

Edit: Italics are for emphasis, by the way, not dickish condescension. :p

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  4. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

On the politics board at AP.net recently, I saw a post where someone gave a good analogy for people's viewpoints against it.

You keep your phone in your bedroom, but you can't find it because the room looks like a bomb site. So you tidy your room, hoping that you can find the phone.

When you're done, you still haven't found it. But what the hell, right? Your living space is a lot cleaner and safer and you've found other stuff that you thought you'd lost.

You can go into more detail with it but what he was saying was, basically, climate change denial = the fear that you won't find your phone. Just some food for thought.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  5. Theazninvasion68

Theazninvasion68 It's like blood to a vampire, our tragic desire. LPA Super VIP

Can't politics bring humor as well?
    :x

Yes, I know about climate change. (And theres the lulz about "well, Climates do change, you know, like the weather changes :lol:" )

On a serious note, it is okay to assume the data is perfect, right? Of course, data cannot be suspect. Certainly. And likely, here comes the defense.

6. Dean

Yep, data can be suspect and believe me I'm not one for accepting things blindly. Generally though, I don't see how it is here... definitely not to a point where you can put a dampener on the whole thing.

7. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  8. ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

I do favor one party over the other, but I'm not a huge fan of politicians themselves. There are too many people with the wrong interests it seems. America is ridiculously divided.

9. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Yeah, personally I think a huge problem that America has is making whatever party you're opposing some evil organization. Every November all we mostly get is negative ads which really pisses me off.

...but there are exceptions *cough* Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachman, Glenn Beck *cough*. I could watch negative ads of them all day :lol:. Other than that list, I'll just kindly disagree with a politician's view.

10. SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

If you mean the abolishment of the right to form unions, that actually goes back even further, to the late 1800s. So yeah, MAJOR regression if it does go through as it has in Ohio.

Anyway, just found something scary: Georgia lawmaker proposes a law that gives the death penalty to women who have miscarriages, on the legal justification that that woman "killed" the child.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/41889946#41889946

11. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

...the fuck? You've got to be kidding me (the video).

12. Dean

For a moment I skimmed over the word "miscarriages" and thought it was abortions. Not that that'd be much less stupid.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011