Marijuana

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by iNuBBiN, Mar 6, 2011.

iNuBBiN

iNuBBiN Well-Known Member

Drinking soda is a gateway to becoming a caffeine addict. Taking aspirin is a gateway to becoming a pill addict. Drinking water made me wanna try beer. I think that documentry said like only 1 percent of regular pot smokers move onto harder drugs. It's impossible to die from weed unless you have millions to buy that much. Go watch that entire documentary and the doctors and higher educated researchers will prove wrong and thing you have to argue about

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

http://healthland.time.com/2010/10/29/marijuna-as-a-gateway-drug-the-myth-that-will-not-die/

There's a lot of misinformation out there concerning marijuana. Don't believe everything you heard in health class.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I'm more basing my information on talking to a man personally who told his drug history and he completely endorsed the gateway theory. He started with pot, got bored, etc. I'll compensate and say it depends on the person.

If you guys want to find excuses to smoke pot, then I guess carry on. I hope one day pot is legalized so that people such as yourselves give the money to the government and in turn the people instead of pot dealers. I will always be proud of myself for never being in the same room as an illegal drug.

But I'll ask this again: Am I the only on these boards that doesn't do drugs? :lol:

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I don't really drink or do drugs (I'm not against pot or alcohol if the situation is right, though). I got most of my experimenting out of my system when I was a teenager.

The gateway theory isn't completely without merit, but its significance is exaggerated.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Correlation =/= causation. Just because that happens it's not strictly all because they smoked pot, and it isn't as though it has that sort of sway over everyone who uses it or even a majority. And more often than not, I'd wager that to get to the point where you feel as though weed's effect has been nullified you'd have to abuse the stuff pretty seriously.

Don't be like that. You're intelligent enough to discuss this civilly.

99% of serial killers are probably batshit, but that doesn't mean that 99% of people who are batshit are serial killers.

Here's a couple more articles:
    http://www.physorg.com/news202619339.html
    http://scienceblog.com/12116/study-says-marijuana-no-gateway-drug/

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
    TimeSpree

TimeSpree Banned

I've smoked it for 6 years and have never been tempted onto harder stuff, I know the risks and consequences which can be caused by other substances, through a few unfortunate instances involving my other mates, do what you like, if people feel it helps them be relaxed, focus more and/or concentrate then I respect them, if it's because their friends do it then likelihood is they are mentally weak, meaning they are probably innevitably going to develop the mental illnesses which have been linked with the drug anyway.
    Another thing, if you do, then I compel you to smoke Super Silver Haze and listen to Burning In The Skies through to Waiting For The End, oh my god.

Dean

I do it because I just like doing it now and then haha. That plus I have diagnosed anxiety problems so sometimes smoking something or other helps calm me down. Self-medication I guess.

Benjamin

I am fully aware of the relationship between correlation/causation. I'm not dumb enough to think everyone that smokes pot will definitely try meth. But the odds go up for sure which is all that I was trying to say and I admit I should have worded it differently. I wasn't trying to say everyone in this thread is going to drug treatment, just that your odds go up (however much that might be) of that unfortunately happening. But of course, there's other lurking variables such as unemployment, relationship issues, etc.

I have come to grip that my health education has been a little misleading. They made the theory as a fact. I won't blame myself for believing them though. But again, I still believe there must be some statistic showing at least a little higher chance of trying stronger drugs if you smoke pot.

And again, I agree with everyone here that pot should be legalized.

There's other solutions to combat anxiety other than pot.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I don't and never have done drugs, but I believe all of them should be legalized. Every single one.

Benjamin

Yes.

Dean

:shrug: I'm aware of that. It's not like I said it's the only method I ever use.

I'm gonna leave it at that if you're just going to keep asserting that you're right without backing yourself up. That and, sorry if you don't mean it but, I kind of get a snobby vibe from the way you're talking about people who use it.

Benjamin

You came across that way, haha. Sorry.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

The only reason why weed isn't legalised is because they can't tax it.

But I wouldn't personally smoke it because unless I've grown it myself, I don't know what has been put in it.

Benjamin

How would it be any different then cigarettes?

iNuBBiN

iNuBBiN Well-Known Member

Or maybe people do harder drugs because since it's illegal the only way to get it is to buy from drug dealers who offer you the other drugs because they are much more expensive and they try to pressure you into buying them. If you take drug dealers out the equation and make it buyable like ciggs or beer then drug dealers wouldn't be there to offer other drugs

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

Because they tax the shit out of cigarettes? And the tobacco industry is larger than the oil industry so they can't really ban it. They can convince people not to quit.

And oh I just quit from cigarettes and yes I knew what I was doing to my body, it's been my choice to smoke since I was 19 (moving onto 22 this year) quitting only to breastfeed and pregnancy.

I wouldn't classify tobacco as a drug - it doesn't alter the brain's functions, it more or less gives you other things like risking heart disease further and a stroke, unlike weed where it does alter the brain's functions, as does alcohol. Major tobacco companies already have strict enough production regulations let alone going to the effort to spike an already poisonous habit with ice or meth.

Benjamin

That's the same case for pot.

But yeah, that's essentially why it should be legalized.

But if it became legal, Marijuana companies would start up and they could tax it just like cigarettes.

Tobacco isn't a drug? Nicotine has plenty of negative effects on the body including, in some cases, cancer.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

First, I have never had alcohol, cannabis, or a cigarette, so don't talk down to me like I am some druggie here (not that using drugs is really something to insult in and of itself anyway).

Second, you can't just state a hypothesis like you did and say you don't need actual evidence because it just sounds so plausible (and one guy told you it was true!). I would like to see evidence on legal marijuana acting as a gateway drug.

Benjamin

First, I was never trying to say everyone in this thread is a druggie, which I already explained.

Second, I know that if you smoke pot, it's not automatic by any means that you'll try harder drugs. Like Dean said, Correlation =/= causation. But how many people do you hear of that just jump right into meth? The people that are meth heads most likely first had weed, or some other drug at that level. You have to climb the ladder to get to the top. Perhaps there are a few souls out there with really, really fucked up lives where they get access to Meth when their 16. But that's not common at all.

In essence, if you don't want to ever risk having dangerous drugs don't take any drugs, such as weed and alcohol, in the first place which you and I seem to understand. If you do get in that situation where you smoke some pot, be smart and control yourself.

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

Never have used it, never will, have friends that do.

I am against it, and don't think it should be legalized. Anything that's being smoked has the chance to cause your body harm, and you can deny it til your blue in the face but it is a gateway drug.

I didn't see anyone bringing up the 'emptying the prisons' debate on here yet, but lets not kid ourselves. If legalized, some company would get big selling it putting all the small time dealers out of business, leaving them to sell stronger drugs to keep makin $.

It's a dead end, and doesnt help anybody anywhere.