Do you believe in God/are you religious?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Dean, Mar 10, 2011.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I know I'm potentially opening a pretty big can of worms here, but right now I feel like picking people's brains on the matter so there.

I'm fairly sure I don't believe in God. I'm a humanist. What about you?

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

No and no.

SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

Yes and no. I believe in God but have my own way with God. I'm confirmed in the Catholic church and I guess I consider myself catholic but I don't follow their doctrine or dogma. It's all pointless. The place you end up should be according to the life you lived.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I believe in God. I'm Orthodox Christian but I almost never go to Church.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

I believe in Allah (I'm a Muslim) and I try to follow all the basic ground rules of our religion. Although there are a lot of things that I don't follow at all, mostly out of laziness. Someday that'll come bite me in the ass lol.

SabiLP

SabiLP Well-Known Member

I am Christian and proud to be but I have to admit that I'm not following all of the rules. I like the conception of christianity, especially moral principles and I'm trying to be a good person, helpful and not too selfish.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I don't believe in God and don't particularly care for organized religion. I think a lot of that stems from growing up in the Bible Belt and being exposed to the hypocrisies of southern evangelical culture. I'm not as outwardly antagonistic towards religion now, though. If religion fills a void in someone's life, who am I to judge?

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

No to both.

Avo

Avo Don't Stop Running

I despise religion for all of the problems it's caused, and I especially hate people who try to covert/condemn me. I think it's made me a bit more bitter as a person, because I get extremely worked up watching ignorance and hypocrisy. That's why I usually go out of my way to avoid debates on religion with my friends because we all usually end up pissing each other off lol.

Theazninvasion68

Theazninvasion68 It's like blood to a vampire, our tragic desire. LPA Super VIP

Yes, and becoming yes.

A few years back, it would have been no and no.

Recently, I've been more of a believer than ever before. And ever since I made that decision, an honest opinion and evaluation of my life would be that it has gotten much better overall.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Really? My life got better when I realized I don't have to please some invisible man in the sky by following a book that man wrote 2,000 years ago.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

No and no. Though it's weird to think about where we did come from. What happened before the supposed Big Bang? And before that and before that? It's mind boggling if you ask me.

In my opinion, a big piece of evidence that there is no God-like figure is that there are so many damn religions. Obviously, they can't all be right. Odds are that none of them are since there isn't a Religion with more proof than the other that they're accurate.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I try to be religious, and try to believe that something greater is to credit for our existence, but with the world becoming the way it is now it's hard to believe in any type of God. I mean who needs the devil, when we have people on the earth right now more evil than the Devil could ever dream of being?

Put me down as an Agnostic. It's not that I so much don't believe, it's more that I'm waiting for legit (scientific) and indisputable proof of the existence of a God. If a God came down right now, and proved to the world his existence...I'd believe and likely even claim allegiance to him. Till then? I'm living my life without worry of how it'll be perceived by a "guardian" above. My family and others I know have gone through too much pain and suffering for me to legitimately believe someone is watching over us.

iNuBBiN

iNuBBiN Well-Known Member

Yes and kinda. I believe in god. I believe everyone has there own relationship with God. I do how ever do not believe that anyone has a right to disagree or tell someone that there personal beliefs are wrong. Being a christian, I was taught that are religion is the only right one and if you believed in something else you were going to hell. I dont have the right to say a religion is wrong. I dont go to church. Many people think just by going to Church and learning about God they are a perfect christian, but I think God doesnt want us to just go hear someone talk about him. I think no 2 people can believe in the exact same thing. I think God wants all of us to live our lives and learn from our mistakes, and find him ourselves rather then someone telling us who he is

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

I don't know if I believe in god. I don't think there's a god in the biblical sense: a sentient, all powerful being who rewards good and punishes evil. I'm not even sure I believe in an afterlife.

What I do believe is in a bigger order of things. A higher power that keeps the Universe working as a giant clock, a perfect machine in which the laws of nature, physics and life are designed in a way that you can't change something without destroying the balance of things. An intelligent design in all existing things, you could say.

A friend once told me I was a deist. I think he's right.

Benjamin

I try to respect everyone's religious beliefs. However, what infuriates me is when people have their religion affect the rest of society that doesn't necessarily believe in that religion. A big example of this is the whole "God doesn't like gay people" bullshit. The funny thing is that the Bible says a lot of other things that even core Christians don't do. I'm also not a fan of politicians bringing religion into politics.

Also, I laugh when athletes thank god for winning a game. Even if there is a God, I'm pretty sure he doesn't give a damn if you scored a goal :lol:

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

The Roman law was written 2000 years ago and it's still one of the the bases of the modern society. Your argument is invalid.

But seriously though, I perceive God as some force in the universe that is omnipresent and controls everything, not as a man with white beard who sits in a chair and watches down on me.
    It kinda makes sense to me, everything is the world is controlled by some kid of force, so it kinda seems dumb that our presence here is just random.

And yeah, oranized religion has caused a lot of wars and destruction in the past, but I can bet all my money that if religion didn't exist at all people would still find something to fight over.

That was just my 0.0144686392 Euros

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I think that's one of the things I disagree with religion on the most, fatalism and stuff. The universe is big and random and imperfect, and to me it makes more sense to think things just happen. Saying there's a higher purpose just complicates the issue.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

No and Yes. I'm an atheist and I dislike religion and I do think that some religions are actually at the core of the problem instead of just some of the people that practice those religions. When you have a religion that supports rape, murder, sexual hate crime, slavery, greed, gender discrimination, right in its holy books its hard to say "Oh yeah, it's just some of the people not the religion itself." Sorry if that offends anyone but that is what my observations have led me to believe. Though I don't hate the concept of religion as it is proven to help people relieve stress but I support non-theist religion more than anything. Again sorry if you're offended, I don't mean to do that.

And Yes I am religious in an Einsteinian sense. I view the world religiously and think of ways that could better it. I guess you could say that I'm a bit of a humanist also. My views are actually too complex without it bleeding into a very long rant so I'll just leave it at a no I don't believe in a God (I think your title should be changed to a God instead of just God because there are those who are polytheistic and believe in more than one) and yes I am a bit religious.

Benjamin

Why? So that you're not a "bad person." That does seem to be the attitude with a lot of people. I get really weird stares when I tell people I don't believe in God. It's hypocritical if you ask me. Atheism is just as fair to believe in than Religion.