A Thousand Suns-A Half Year Later

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Benjamin, Mar 14, 2011.

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

It's the most played album in my iPod.

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

This is where they stand on my 25 most played list on my iPod.

3rd - When They Come For Me
    7th - Waiting for the End
    9th - Iridescent
    17th - Blackout
    18th - The Catalyst
    19th - Jordana del Muerto
    21st - Robot Boy
    24th - Burning in the Skies
    25th - Empty Spaces :lol:

The list is quite suprising considering i prefer Wretches and Kings to Robot Boy.

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

Am I the only one who listens to this album EVERY day? (I listen to BITS and WTCFM like 4-5 times a day) :)

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

A Thousand Suns was the first Linkin Park album I was officially hyped for, as while they were my favourite band years ago, I never rabidly followed them and their developments. I remember waking up one day saying "Oh cool, Minutes to Midnight was released!" That said, A Thousand Suns did not disappoint me in the slightest.

Although I rarely listen to the full album anymore, I'm regularly playing every song off the record (minus Robot Boy, just doesn't chime with me). This is by far my favourite album I've ever heard, and Linkin Park's best collective work - although I do prefer the raw alternative sound of Minutes to Midnight. As a whole, A Thousand Suns is simply unmatched by the rest of their discography.

Choosing a favourite, or even a top 3 is nearly impossible. The Catalyst I believe is the undisputed heart and masterpiece of the album, but Blackout's evolution is just awesome and When They Come For Me has one of the most badass choruses ever. Then there's Waiting for the End which showcases Chester at his best vocally (IMO) and Mike rapping in a chemistry far superior to anything from Hybrid Theory or Meteora (Once again IMO). Iridescent essentially takes everything boring about Shadow of the Day and makes it more energetic, Burning in the Skies is a VERY catchy tune, and The Messenger is simply beautiful.

My only complaint is the execution of these songs live seems very underwhelming. Blackout is great to listen to, but other than that I find myself more excited about Bleed It Out, Faint, No More Sorrow, etc etc when watching their 2010-11 performances.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Maybe it's just me, but the ATS songs live are ridiculously great live. Then again, I was like one person away from the rail and thus about 4 feet from the stage, so my experience may be skewed due to adrenaline. The Catalyst, which I never saw as translating well to the live show, was absolutely beast. As was everything else off that record.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Yeah I was watching the MSG show the other day and The Catalyst on that sounded insane! The rest of the songs have translated well too. Even WFTE, which seemed to lack the energy of the studio version, sounds good now.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

The Catalyst and the rest of ATS was spectacular at my concert as well. It's not just you, haha. Unfortunately, they didn't get transferred will in the DSP's, or mine at least. Though that's asking a lot by me.

Avo

Avo Don't Stop Running

I listened to the full album yesterday in fact (wonderful for procrastinating) and I still say that this is their best album. Every song is great except Wretches and Kings. Not a fan of the song. The only time I listen to it is when I listen to the whole album.

Rohit LP

Rohit LP The Silent Red

i've mixed m2m and ats songs in a single playlist...and its sounds awesome 2gethr

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

A year and a half later and people are still bitching about it.

One word.

WHY?!

Someone link me to TimeSpree's account for reference. :lol:

Todd Jensen

Todd Jensen Now with 110% more awesome!

The album was a complete success. It was such a complete work of art. I play songs from the album everyday. But the album in its entirety? Not AS much, but yes sometimes. I think people that weren't sure about it have now had the time to fully experiance the album and decide wether or not it's good. And I think it's gotten a lot more popular with hardcore fans and listeners alike. Great album altogether. Loved it. And I'm lsitening to it now as I write this ;)

Great work LP!

SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

I still really love the album. That said (*flame shield up*), I believe Wisdom, Justice & Love, Iridescent, and The Messenger are the weakest tracks on there. Those aside, I love it from beginning to (almost) end. I definitely like the Catalyst more than I used to, but my favorite song on there always has been and probably always will be WTCFM. I can't wait for the next album to see what they can do with that one.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Last week, I listened to all of their albums in reverse order:

A Thousand Suns
    Minutes to Midnight
    Meteora
    Reanimation
    Hybrid Theory

All I have to say is A Thousand Suns is a thousand times better.

SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

Totally. I'm of the opinion that each successive release has been better than its predecessor.

Rohit LP

Rohit LP The Silent Red

:uh:

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Looks like I'm not the only one who's not too keen on Wretches and Kings. Awesome synths, awesome vocals, but iffy lyrics from Mike and with the speeches taken out it's too short of a song.

Todd Jensen

Todd Jensen Now with 110% more awesome!

Wretches has got to be my FAVORITE song on ATS (besides The Catalyst). Mike's lyrics (in my opinion) are so kickass. It's like he's saying: Don't fuck with us. Stop talkin shit or else we're gunna kick your ass. BITCH. But that's what I get from it at least.

LOVE THAT SONG.

Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I think for me, over the half of year, I grew a lot closer to the album. Waiting For The End has really connected with me more than ever in the last couple months (for personal reasons) which is more than it did when it first came out back in September. Every song now has meaning for me, and after seeing the songs performed live, I have a new respect for each and every single song on the record.

It was never a fail for me, but it was never a huge success but over the last 7 months it's grown to be easily one of my all time favorite albums, easily being placed within my top 5. I've connected with LP in a way I never had before the concert, and since that concert I've had nothing but LP and their songs on my mind. This may sound stupid to those who actually read my post, but for me it makes perfect sense.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Listened to it maybe, twice since it came out. WTCFM is alright I reckon. Overall, pretty horrible, but definitely their best album.

arbiter

arbiter Well-Known Member

Actually, that doesn't sound stupid at all. Seeing a band live is where the magic happens and the connection is made. I have loved their music since the Meteora days. But i never was quiet passionate or into the band or any band or artist for that matter. But when i saw them live for the first time in 2008, a magical connection that has yet to be broken happened at that moment and everything fell into place. They easily became my favourite band.(how do you think i ended up here on a fan-site?) Live is a musicians chance to buy or loose me. Since then on, i have been to many concerts and watched different performances from all kinds of artists. Katy Perry lost me instantly when i saw her life. I no longer liked her and her music. I also became fans of some and stopped beings fans of others. But Linkin Park have still been the top of it all. It helps that i really love 88% of their music and are great live.