A Thousand Suns-A Half Year Later

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Benjamin, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

How? Meteora is pretty much the same style as everything they'd done previously, so the thing about Hybrid Theory being too different to have been written solely by them is moot. Prior to about 2005-2007 like 90% of their music was very straightforward songs featuring distorted power chords augmented with electronic beats and samples, aggressive singing/screaming, rapping and angsty lyrics, and HT is no exception.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  2. Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

Interesting.

3. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I'm pretty sure Hybrid Theory Part 2Meteora is a valid point concerning your argument that "HT is totally different from everything they've done in sense of writing (the lyrics, the beats, the rhymes)..."

By all means, with this logic I can say that ATS sounds completely different from everything they've done, they might have had that ghostwritten.

4. Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

Yeah this 100%. MTM was a change of direction musically but ATS is a WAY bigger change and sounds like nothing they have previously done.

5. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

It's not written in a way we know (making of meteora, mtm and meeting of ats) they write lyrics: "let's figure out what rhymes with this word so we can put it there"

6. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I guess that "Mmmm... Cookies" was ghost written because it's not like anything else they've done either.

7. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Yes, some of the words rhyme, you're right - but, still, who are you to assume that that's what's at the core of their lyrics?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  8. arbiter

arbiter Well-Known Member

You have no point. Just a closet full of assumptions based on nothing but your imagination.

9. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

How many rock bands actually have other people write lyrics for them? Seems like only pop artists like Britney Spears and boy bands have the lyrics written for them. And pretty much all pop solo artists have everything produced for them. Rock bands and some hip hop seems like the only legit musicians around these days.

10. The Fortunate One

The Fortunate One Well-Known Member

I read an MTV interview in which Chester said he regretted using the "concept album" tag to describe the album. According to him, they pretty much ditched that idea during the first few recording sessions. They didn't intend one particular concept controlling the experience.

11. LPSoul

LPSoul I find I can't rely on myself...

Lol don't worry your not alone, I do that too. I always listen to it in its entirety. I don't want to overlisten songs or only listen to one certain song over and over again. :)

12. DaMU

DaMU Well-Known Member

While their first two studio albums weren't ghost-written, you can see (in press clips of the time, in the music itself) the influence of Don Gilmore and those he spoke for, with the way the band's lyrics were streamlined to be as accessible as possible (they famously rewrote the pedestrian chorus of "Somewhere I Belong" a hundred times). The style seemed streamlined as well. Listening to their pre-Hybrid-Theory work reveals a band that was testing the boundaries of their eclectic influences, but Hybrid Theory plays like eleven variations on a basic musical rubric (as does its sequel, Meteora). Ditching Gilmore for Rubin (and affording Shinoda more control) resulted in an almost immediate divergence from what they were doing. Ghost-written? I doubt it. Directed too strongly? You bet.

As for the current album. I still dig it. Probably the best album they've made. It features some of their best lyrics ("Burning in the Skies") and some of their most interesting experimentation ("Blackout," "Wisdom Justice & Love"). The preachy fuck-the-man attitude of "Wretches and Kings" feels forced - LP's more convincing when they're painting an elegiac picture of the world ("The Catalyst," "Burning in the Skies") or fusing their end-of-the-world electro-sheen with more personal troubles, as when Shinoda raps on the boastful "When They Come For Me" or Bennington laments of a breakup on "Waiting For the End." I wish LP committed more to the concept record ambitions they hint at, and I really wish they'd ease up on the attempts at matching U2's brand of arena rock. Angels and Airwaves can't pull it off, 30 Seconds to Mars can't do it, and LP feels positively weird with Edge-lite guitars thrumming as they sing broadly about hope and stuffs. Overall, though, I love the sonic experimentation throughout, and when the album hits, brother, it connects.

13. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

They were barely more eclectic before Hybrid Theory. They were still pretty much writing the same song over and over by and large, and the times where they were actually less straightforward weren't for the best.

14. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Great post. I agree with most of it I think.

15. JasonJielN

JasonJielN Well-Known Member

I love this album. I love their change. I love this after Hybrid Theory.
    But i don't want they to keep this style on the next album, i want they keep changing, and no turning back to Nu Metal. This is Linkin Park that I love

16. shazz501

shazz501 Member

i personally love it and did from the start,people say i am biased and would like anything they release but not so,i don't like Collision Course or Reanimation.i love most if not all of the songs on it and find it a very chilled album to listen to. my favorite track is waiting for the end closely followed by irridescence :D