Red light bulb + computer + iPhone =

Discussion in 'Your Projects' started by Schen The Genius, Mar 30, 2011.

Schen The Genius

Schen The Genius Former LPU Mod LPA VIP

these, none of these are photoshopped, they were all shot with my camera at 100 ISO, 30' F20. I'm going to be doing some more tomorrow night but with a iPad, hopefully get some more clarity but these aren't to bad first go around.

--RS

Attached Files:

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

So how aren't these photoshopped?

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

By manipulating lights, plus a special light bulb and camera.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Didn't he photoshop the WFTE images in there?

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

I don't think it counts if you do it on an iPhone :awesome:

Schen The Genius

Schen The Genius Former LPU Mod LPA VIP

LOL let me break it down for you.

1. I have my camera on a tripod for starters so I can use it's 10 sec self timer to do any adjustments through the lens of the camera to make sure everything is straight.

2. I have the camera setup at ISO 100, 30', F20. ISO 100 means it's setup for the least amount of grain as possible (for instance 90% of the time it's at 400 during daylight, the higher the ISO the more details the camera sees in the darkest of places but there's more grain), 30' is the time (in seconds) I have the lens stay open to absorb any light coming through it, F20 means the stop is in a very dim light (this allows me to adjust the light accordingly, if I feel it's to bright I'll raise the number, if it's to dark I'll bring the number down).

3. The 'layered' image is whatever I want it to be and yes I find them on my iPhone. Think of the iPhone being as a light table with a image on it so you can trace it.

4. When I shoot the photo, I have it focusing on the laptop with the LP logo. This is where it gets crucial. When I go to take the photo I look through my lens to see just whatever is on my iPhone is centered as best as possible. The key to all of this is pretty much no movement, when the timer on my camera gets down to zero I hold my iPhone in front of the camera lens and count to whatever number I desire for it to be seen in the photo, for this I counted to five as I felt the iPhone was bright enough and then remove it from the field of view. So out of thirty seconds, the first five that the camera saw was of the image on my iPhone, the other 25 seconds is of my laptop. The red light bulb acts as a filter and that is how you get the end result.

make sense now? No photoshop needed, I also do the same thing with cars at night to get that 'clear hood' look. Now, granted everything is easier and cleaner with photoshop but there was a time when we didn't have that and a smart person with a camera is all you had to use.;)

--RS

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Pretty sure you can do it with any smart phone that has a good enough screen.