Poll: Do You Want Another "A Thousand Suns" Or Another Change In Direction?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Derek, Apr 10, 2011.

?

ATS 2.0 or a Completely New Sound?

1. I think LP was perfect with ATS, I'd prefer this to be their new sound.

7 vote(s)
    13.2%
  2. I don't want any Linkin Park record to sound the same from this point forward.

46 vote(s)
    86.8%
    Yousefelso

Yousefelso Hands Held High

Maybe they could have some more songs that tell a story, like Mike did the Fort Minor?

Abel

Abel Chester Bennington saved my life.

For me, I want ATS 2.0. And by ATS 2.0, I mean ATS 2.0 = Nothing like ATS.

LP-tastic

LP-tastic Well-Known Member

They will find a way to invent a new sound on every album. For me, this is LP...it just canĀ“t get boring. And about ATS, I think they will continue to make what they really want to make, but I doubt that it will sound like ATS again...(or Hybrid Theory);)

arbiter

arbiter Well-Known Member

If the band thinks they could do some more stuff with the sound of ATS, i say bring it. I wanted more after listening to the album the first time and felt sort of cheated. I'm not over the album nor what they did with the elements in it. So i wouldn't be moaning and kicking it out of bed if they were to release an album similar but different like its bound to be. I would be equally as joyful as i was with ATS.

I would be equally happy too if they went in another direction and brought something else to the table. I am always interested in what LP can make with the elements they work with. I didn't know i wanted ATS until i popped it into my stereo and listened to it from start to finish so sometimes, I'm not a good judge on what i like until i hear it. I say bring it. I have no expectations because it is simply madness to do so. And most of the time, expectations are based on the past which doesn't account for the future.

Linkin_way

Linkin_way LPA VIP LPA VIP

I go for: I don't want any Linkin Park record to sound the same from this point forward.
    Though i wish one song like "Hit the floor" or any nu-metal/hip hop song in the new album lol ;P
    only ONE song hehehe :lol:

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I want some more variety after A Thousand Suns. I would absolutely love it if they would dive deeper into a more hip hop sound, with some more orchestral instrumentation.

Serenity

Serenity Suffocating in the mess

I just don't see how it's negative with lyrics like "Hold on, the weight of the world will give you the strength to go" and "Remember all the sadness and frustration, and let it go." Those are some of the most positive lyrics Linkin Park has ever written.
    To me, the message of ATS isn't that we'll all burn in a nuclear disaster, but rather that humanity is better than that and that we need to prevent it from getting that far. It's more of a warning, at least that's how I see it.
    I'm not trying to pick an argument with you, I'm just genuinely interested to know why you interpret A Thousand Suns to be negative.

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

I definitely don't interprety ATS to be negative. Hahaha, sometimes it is just so hard to explain something in text. I meant most songs had a more negative feel to it. But the overall ending was definitely a very positive ending. Jeez, I'm just digging myself into a hole as I continue to try to explain myself :lol:. Funny thing is, in my last post I was going to say something about having more songs like Robot Boy or Iridescent but just never wrote it out.

cstebila

cstebila an emerging paradigm

To be honest, I want them to go nu-metal again.

SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

Damn, such a contrast in the votes! :D

Anyway, I voted #2. I'm fairly excited to see what they're capable of if they're constantly forced to change it up.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

This should make the band pretty happy if they ever see this poll. Everyone's pretty much giving them a free ticket to be as creative as fuck.

Serenity

Serenity Suffocating in the mess

I would understand why you think some of the songs have a negative sort of feel, but I think they're just stating the consequences of nuclear war and not really trying to be negative. "Will we burn inside the fires of a thousand suns?" implies that they don't think we'll kill ourselves in a nuclear conflict, but that we have the capacity to. I see where you're coming from, though, they are a bit blunt about whether we'll die or not.

I'd LOVE to hear more songs with lyrics like Robot Boy and Iridescent. Anytime I hear someone say LP is emo/depressing, I just point them to those songs, lol.

Someone should point Mike Shinoda to this poll on his blog or something, lol. I'd like to see his reaction.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

I'd like them to attempt heavy music. Or at least a song or two. Not "I want them heavy like on Hybrid Theory and Meteora" heavy, because those were not heavy albums outside the realm of radio rock. I want to see them take a serious crack at a serious heavy song, not the "Linkin Park version of a heavy song" we have now.

Year ago, I always thought Linkin Park would someday sound something like this.
    [YOUTUBE]v2I0b-kf0vw[/YOUTUBE]

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Unfortunately, the 20 or so posters in this thread aren't the same as 95% of the fan base. It's a damn same, really.

Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Well-Known Member

IF they continue down the road of "the honest art" mentality then they'll probably write about whats on the top of their minds. Digging deep matters when making music, but I would love them to consistently give us something they want to create. Indeed a perspective on music is that can be, and most of the time is, a selfish creation process. This is the ideal and linchpin element that I hope remains with Linkin Park. Select persons can enter their headspace - and others can keep their ears out. As much as I want them to maintain their boldness in their imaginative collaborations they need to stick to certain standards as they probably already do along with other required influences. In other-words the entire slate will not be cleaned.

Here's hope they deliver something they've never done before and impress themselves.

Id love them to take their voices and instruments to new places to give us perhaps some exciting character vocal inflexion (i.e. "im awfully underrated...") and complex arrangements of sounds from select instruments generating an atmosphere or distinct tone of a song.

LP managed to tie all of the songs off of ATS together with rhetoric devices and elements, and interludes. I'd like them to take this approach with the next album, and not just "putting together a batch of songs" for the sake of delivering an album. A band could have incredible songs, but are the songs right for each other in a context that is desirable? Can LP create another album that sounds best when listened from front to back?

EDIT: How about a song that reminds you of NIN, Pendulum, and of course...Linkin Park?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
    Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

A part of me wants LP to make an album that for once gets praise from critics and the general public. 20 years from now, I want to tell people that my favorite band was Linkin Park and not get reactions like "Oh, those are the dudes that made Hybrid Theory with those angsty lyrics. Yeah, I enjoyed them when I was like 15."

Of course, it'll be impossible for Hybrid Theory to be forgotten. But regardless, I hope that there's a better album that people can remember them for as well. A Thousand Suns is their best work, but nobody other than those that like the album will have any idea what it is when the band's career is over. Mostly because of how much hate it got.

Unfortunately, I don't know how the band is going to accomplish this without making HT part 3, haha.

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Not really a change in direction but.. as it has been said tirelessly: More hip hop please.

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

I agree to more hip-hop

and dubstep

iNuBBiN

iNuBBiN Well-Known Member

I want a mix between HT and ATS. I love how diverse ATS is but I want them to make a record that people remember like HT. Pretty much I want the sound to be new and fresh so us LP fans but have the people that started hating them because they went soft to be like o this is good shit. Mike needs more rapping.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

You can't really quantify that either way. Maybe you're right, but for all you know it does represent how the majority of their fans think and they just aren't as vocal as the NU-METAL OR DEATH fans... even that doesn't seem true in my experience, because wherever I've seen people talking about them on sites that aren't Linkin Park ones it's more or less 50/50. But yeah, I know you probably didn't literally mean 95% but you can't put a statistic on it and it's hard for me to say there's a clear majority either way.