Music Software Thread

Discussion in 'Your Projects' started by ThaHandyman, May 16, 2011.

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

Ive been using FL Studio for about a year now,and its great, but i often times find myself using Audacity for stuff like preverb and other non-realtime effects. Ive thought about getting logic, but even if i take the arggg-matey approach i have to purchase a decent iMac. What kinds of programs/vsts/audio interfaces do u guys use?

As an example of what you can do in FL I've got a recording in my signature with vocals, guitar, and a beat made using drum packs, Massive, and I beleive stock BooBass.

Last edited: May 18, 2011
    travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Pretty much any digital audio software is the same. It just depends on how well you know your way around the software and how efficiently it uses CPU. Other than that, obviously all VST plugins work in any of the DAWs. I still have FL Studio 8 because I know my way around it like the back of my hand. If I used a different DAW now that people claim is way better than FL, which there really isn't much difference, I'd be totally lost.

Why are you using Audacity for anything other than recording audio? All your effects can be done in FL.

And I have a sickening amount of VSTs and one-hit samples. I think around 250 GB. There are so many good plugins out there, you just have to look around. Out of all the crap I have, my favorite generator plugin is Omnisphere. As for my favorite effect plugins, I don't really know. There's so many different ones. Most mixes don't need a ton of effects because there's such a wide array of quality generator plugins now.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I know there's better stuff out there, but I pretty much use Garage Band for all my music software purposes. I find it pretty easy to use which is nice.

Bradyoactiv

Bradyoactiv The world is your Cloyster LPA VIP

I use REAPER for most of the recording, mixing, and mastering.
    I usually will use FL Studio with anything that involves MIDI aside from drum programming.

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

What do you mean by generator plugins? And I use audacity like to reverse words to create that 'preverb' effect or predelay that they use a lot in rap and pop. Thats about the only thing. I can't figure out how to edit my music the way i can in audacity inside Edison in FL.

I'm really considering getting Logic, according to most of the web its kind of a 4/5 on both creating in-software music as well as mixing software, while most of the web thinks Pro Tools is the best mix software and FL is the easiest for beats and in-software creation.

*edit* and does anyone know what program The Cataracs use? They may make some ignorant music, but they have the most insane production.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
    travz21

Generator plugins are plugins that generate sounds. Like synths and stuff. Effects plugins are plugins you use on generator plugins or samples to, you know, affect them and make them sound differently.

I do everything besides record audio with FL. Basically everything else you need to do can be done with plugins inside your DAW.

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

Oh i gotcha like using Massive (which is giving me serious trouble for some reason :/) to create filthy bass?

And I just figured out what i need to do in FL, its just bypass. I know what i wanna do, just not the technical terms like that. And what do u use to record audio? Because it is just not very natural in FL like the drum sequencing is.

travz21

The only audio I record are vocals, but I just do that in a program similar to Audacity called Acoustica Premium. It's basically the same thing, I just like the look of it better. All you need is a recording program that lets you determine what quality (sample rate and resolution) you want to record in. Anything other than that just comes down to preference. But Audacity is really easy to use, too.

Pez

Pez Awesome Poster

I have a close relationship with Roland Australia (I do on and off work with them). I use and swear by the latest Cakewalk Sonar X1. Its really good. The layout and everything is great!

Other then that, when Im working in a studio 9/10 they are running Pro Tools 9 (I do edited and mastering for bands). Ive tried other programs but these two do stand out for me.

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

That's the thing I here good things about em all. I guess like Trav said they're basically the same. Imma huge PC head but Logic looks so clean and its Mac only.

Btw some of my favorite VST's:

Bitcrusher: lets u lower bit-rate and makes some sweet NES snares and claps
    Gsnap: free auto-tune
    iZotope Vinyl: can make anything sound like it was a sample taken off an old record
    Massive: if it works (which it won't in my FL8) it makes some super mean filthy bass
    Dilly Bass: if you need some extremely hardhitting bass, this is the program. You're gonna need a good sub to hear it cleanly though.

Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

FL Studio, though still a noob after composing 10+ soundtracks. (suck at mixing/mastering)
    PS: remix at my description was the first and only remix I've made so far, using FL Studio of course.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
    ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

Well the song might have been as ignorant as some Waka Flaka but me and my boy recorded a song last night all in FL, and it sounded great. The recording is not half as intuitive as FL or acoustica, but when you take advantage of the oodles of free ( or google name+mediafire) plugins, its worth the trouble.

free vst discussions: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/361616-top-free-vsts-vstis.html
    I'm not a member but google helped me, just some good free vst's to try.

Last edited: May 18, 2011

I use FL Studio for basically everything. I grew up with it. However, I tend to not use the stock VST generators except morphine and poizone.
    I love the workflow of FL Studio and the layout - I just dislike the VSTs that come with it.

Im trying to learn pro tools right now lol. nto easy.

travz21

Yeah, I don't use any of the stock VSTs that come with FL Studio. I used to, and they are quite good, but nothing really great about them. They have some good ones that I'm not sure come with it (Morphine, Poizone, Toxic, Sakura, Sawer, Sytrus, etc.), but they are basically just standard nice keyboards. If you want to make a little more unique music you have to venture away from the stock VSTs of DAWs.

Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

It'll take a lotta time to find the perfect vst plugins you want...

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

And a long time to figure out what everything does. I just now figured out what automating means, which isn't the easiest thing to do in FL studio, but the Warbeats tutorials on Youtube are amazing.

Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

Ya Warbeats is kinda cool.
    I'm still a mess when it comes to mixing, the song I created just doesn't sound right.

travz21

Automating is really easy once you try it a couple times and get used to it. I'd been doing stuff on FL Studio for like 3 months before I even knew what automation was lol. You can automate pretty much anything you can think of, which adds a ton of depth to your music if you do it right. I also didn't know you could route the channels to the mixer and mix the volume, panning, etc. that way, as well as use effects plugins on them. I should probably put up some tutorials, because it seriously took me like 6 months before I figured out how to effectively utilize FL Studio 100%. There's so much shit to mess around with. And that's even before you introduce VSTs to the mix. I've had nights where I've just messed around with thousands of different sounds on VSTs for 8 hours. Then the next night I'll mess around with effects plugins for another 8 hours. I have so much crap.

Last edited: May 21, 2011

For me, 7 months XD
    How do you get so many VSTs btw?

Autotuning. >:) I use newtone, which is similar to melodyne, and its included with fl studio 10.
    It's terribly naughty but good.

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

Yeah Trav a tutorial would b rad, waveform is easy for me to automate, but if u automate one playlist clip with say, a fadeout, the rest of the same clips are quiet, so u gotta clone and clone the clip to auomate it! but idk maybe thats the only way.

and is newtune free anywhere? i been usim gsnap