Westboro Baptist Church

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Jeff, May 27, 2011.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

So, how big of a prick do you have to be to sit there and say "Thank God for the tornadoes in Joplin"? Well, just as big as the Westboro Baptist Church apparently, who are currently picketing the city, thanking God for the 89 deaths in the city, due to supporting gay rights.

Seriously, what the fuck?

Thoughts?

BlackedOut

BlackedOut Zero

Westboro Baptist Church is the definition of being a asshole.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

What they do is bad... not a lot of discussion to be had here haha.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

True, but this story now has me more pissed about them then ever.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Well people who are religious kind of have to believe it's the work of God. But thanking him for killing people seems really low.

The Fortunate One

The Fortunate One Well-Known Member

They are messengers of Satan, they aim to discredit Christianity by making total douchebags of themselves. Y'know like people who refuse medical treatment because they believe sickness is the will of God. Someone never told them about an entity called "the Devil" and that "faith without works is dead".

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I really hope this hate for homosexuality is mostly a generation thing. Hopefully by the time I'm in my 30's shit like this won't be said or even thought of.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

It eventually disappears. While racism against blacks still exists it is not nearly as prevalent a sit used to be in the 60's and before, so I think it'll be the same with hatred against the LGBT community.

Theazninvasion68

Theazninvasion68 It's like blood to a vampire, our tragic desire. LPA Super VIP

Umm no.

To put aside religion here, It's more the fact that these people are misguided. It's really sad to see people who're so off.

I truly cannot say they have any redeeming value for protesting these lives. I also know that have protested American KIA soldiers funerals.

Like really? I'm almost 100% sure that the entire nation has no love for them.

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

^^ That.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Yeah, that's pretty much what I figure too.

I love everyone goes to school and learns of all the horrible things that happened to black people and yet they somehow can't apply the same thing to homosexuals today. There really aren't much differences other than black people obviously getting discriminated at a much higher level. But hey, at least they could marry each other :rolleyes:

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

Is the definition of "messenger of Satan" "people who disagree with me?"

'Cause I can replace Westboro with any minority Christian or non-Christian group and this still sounds just as dumb.

You are not an authority on who is Satan's messengers and who is not. You yourself could be manipulated by Satan in your beliefs and not know it. I would not be so fast to make such an accusation. You are not God and do not get to speak on her behalf.

As soon as one posits the existence of a powerful, evil trickster, that leads people away from the True Religion, they need to question their own beliefs and the possibility that they themselves have been misled .

After all, the Bible is a rather tempting thing that automatically "makes life easier." It allegedly has all the answers to life, has rules clearly laid out, relieves the fear of death, gives hope to people in dire situations, and the savior has already done the saving so all the believer has to do is accept it. Then they can just turn their brain off to everyone else. That just sounds too easy. Too good to be true. As if the devil wrote the Bible to tempt people who don't want to deal with the complications of real life. Then all he has to do is watch the believers work their magic on their own children and indoctrinate them. Consider that possibility, before you go around accusing people while on a high horse.

It is so painfully ironic to see someone pounding someone with their own interpretation of the religion with a different interpretation of their religion. You discredit Christianity as much as they do.

Last edited: May 28, 2011
    SabiLP

SabiLP Well-Known Member

Oh... what the hell these people are? How can they call themselves as Christians? This is totally against all human and religious aims...

Avo

Avo Don't Stop Running

This is beautiful.

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

While I respect your opinion, and see where you could be coming from, I find this last bit quite off. We could debate interpretation of the Bible for days, as you more or less say in your post. What WBC is doing, is not Christian like at all. I am a Christian, and though I don't really consider myself baptist, I go to a baptist church, and this is not being preached at all. Love appears 314 times in the King James Bible, and for a reason, that is the Christian message, and this church is showing anything but that.

Vriska

What I meant was that it is not up to people to declare with absolute certainty supernatural qualities about people when they are not God.

My point rests more on the fact that many different interpretations of the bible exist, and therefore people should show more restraint in their certainty. Counting the number of times a word appears isn't a very good way of interpreting something anyway. And even more so that Christianity probably isn't true to start with.

Unless one has a time machine and can go back in time to see the bible being passed down in its original oral traditions, I would refrain from making judgments like that, especially about people we only know through stereotypes or media stories, and I am speaking in a general sense. Actually, take that back, no one should be making accusations like that, ever. At all, even if they did have a time machine and learned dead languages.

Such accusations have killed people.

Last edited: May 29, 2011
    The Fortunate One

Calm down :lol: I meant that as satirical.

Vriska

U scarded mae!

EDIT: Poe's Law!!!

The Fortunate One

Calm down :lol: I meant that as satirical.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

It's a good point though. They are Christians... they're just Christians who are doing something that's not very nice.