Rick Rubin Producing Next Linkin Park Album, Discusses Progress

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

As many have pointed out, Rick Rubin is not a hands on producer and has never had direct control over the band's sound. It's impossible for Rick to make this album sound like [insert album here] because Rick is the one that helped the band realize they could make whatever music they'd like without limitation. He's the one who is there to tell him when "this song sounds like that song you made" and was instrumental in helping the band to bring out the masterpiece that was ATS. I have nothing but high hopes with him involved.

Stormwalker

Stormwalker Member

Linkin Park is a band that is going through it's biggest case of denial ever.

They know their last album didn't set the world on fire. It also confirmed what a lot of people know - Minutes to Midnight damaged their brand.

A lot of casual fans have turned away from LP after the last two albums.

I don't know if it's pride, or if they actually believe it. But at some point they are going to have to man up and admit that they screwed up. The problem is, they have pretty much backed themselves into a corner by saying that their old music is rubbish and that they have matured into this new sound.

The new sound isn't selling physical copies ATS only went gold - 500K according to the RIAA and that took 4 months!

Foo Fighters by comparison made it to Gold in a single month. People can say I'm comparing Apple's and Orange's. I'm going to say it's not - LP was what some were calling the "World's Biggest Rockband" Linkin Park have had massive exposure - they were plastered all over Transformers (movies which made $300 Million plus) and toured to support their release. Yet 4 months to crack Gold?! Please - they're hemorrhaging fans by alienating them with their experimental 'new sound'.

Then there is the contract with Warner, Warner paid a $15 million advance for these guys and they take 20% of the royalties. I'm not sure of the sales, but I think they might have only just broke even after ATS - with three more albums to go if the sales decline at this rate you can expect LP to be without a label come record number 5. (M2M went 2xPlatinum, down to gold - that's a heck of a decline and based on the next album could be a sign of a trend).

Mike purportedly has his survey out in the wild to seek opinions from the fans - so do the band a favour. Don't kiss their arses and tell them you love their new album/sound when you much prefer their older songs. Be honest, be brutal - maybe it'll give them the kick up the backside they need.

I'm not saying that they should return to their original sound - I'm sure it's dated by now... but they still have greatness in them. There was that little breakdown in New Divide, Wretches and Kings even where it goes mental in Blackout. The problem is these are short teases in the middle of what otherwise become boring songs (W&K excluded, the whole thing rocks). But HT and Meteroa were wild rushes of big guitar, DJ effects and layered sounds that really felt epic.

Rubin has stripped them back, they don't sound like a big band anymore - they sound tiny.

I really think they should do another Reanimation and get the likes of Pendulum, Jay Gordon and a few others to have at A Thousand Suns and Minutes to Midnight and breath some energy into the dullness that is otherwise on those albums.

Then they should consider how they can go back to what made them unique - a "Hybrid" of musical styles, alternative grunge, electronics, rap... it was original. Now they are just like any other band - Rick Rubin's style is clearly one where he likes to make things simple and for that reason LP is the wrong band for him to be working with. If they don't want to work with Don Gilmore - fine. I'm sure there are plenty of other talented producers out there - or as others have suggested they can just produce it themselves. But I think what Don did was polish their sound and make it marketable for the alternative mainstream.

Nobody Can Shave Me Now

Nobody Can Shave Me Now Formerly known as Ron Jeremy LPA VIP

:blink:

Niklas

Niklas BadaBinge LPA VIP

you, sir, are wrong. please go troll somewhere else. thanks. and @ Mr. Carlson: yeah, thats all there is to say ;)

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

So just because his opinion is different than yours he's a troll? Although I don't agree with everything he wrote, I do agree on some points.

Dusty

Dusty LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

Linkin Park is proud of the last two albums they did. They are happy with the final product and at a point where they don't have to defend themselves over the kind of music they want to make.

Also Rubin never striped LP down. LP was ready for a change before Rubin came aboard Minutes to Midnight. He just helped they take the first step.

And after ATS I can't wait to see what the next step is. :)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
    Denny

Denny @Jackethx

I think that if LP wanted to polarize people again, they should keep their music raw and produce it themselves.

Denny

Denny @Jackethx

I agree in some ways. You are not trolling, so please people, don't call him a troll. This is a discussion thread after all.

Avo

Avo Don't Stop Running

Wow. After four years and two albums, so many "HT-ers" haven't given up on LP yet... I've got to say, I'm impressed.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Yeah, because Rick Rubin just produces 'just another band's. Like The Beastie Boys.

Or Run-D.M.C.
    Or Slayer.
    Or Danzig.
    Or Red Hot Chili Peppers.
    Or Johnny Cash.
    Or Adele.
    Or The Mars Volta.
    Or Tom Petty.

And to Stormwalker: Meteora is the biggest piece of shit I've ever had the dishonor of listening to. I'd quite honestly allow a bunch of newborn babies to be defecated on by Jeff of the LPA while he has explosive diarrhea then allow them to listen to that steaming pile of fuckpiss. ATS is honestly the best album they've put out, tied with Reanimation. Who gives a shit if they're selling albums, and to be quite honest, if this and MTM have polarized you 'hardcore' fans, So be it. I've been a fan since before HT came out and enjoy the music they're putting out now. Deal with it or get the fuck out.

Richoguy13

Richoguy13 Then it slipped away...

- As if you wouldn't take into account the decline in sales for EVERY artist. Illegal downloading is easily in the lead now, it's so simple. Check the stats. Artists can hit #1 in the US now with poor sales. And maybe they lost fans changing their sound, but so what, their old themes addressed the feelings they had at that age, any fan that won't develope along with their favourite band, THEY are the ones in denial.

Derek

The problem is that there are several things wrong with your essay Stormwalker.

1. You assume that because you dislike their new sound that the rest of the fan base does as well, and that this is the cause for their decline in album sales. You fail to realize nor point out in your essay, that album sales in the music industry AS A WHOLE have been declining over the last 10 years and are only continuing to decline. This is fact, and many experts even believe that record labels will be obsolete in about 15-20 years (if not far sooner) because people don't buy albums anymore. People are far more likely to download an entire album via a torrent, and that's just cold hard fact. I still buy physical CDs occasionally (because I like the artwork and the feel of the booklets) but I'm in the minority. The RIAA has showed reckless amounts of greed, and they've ruined the music industry as a whole. Downloading isn't to blame, they are.

2. Linkin Park's popularity hasn't waned. Waiting For The End reached #1 on the Alternative Songs chart, #2 on the Rock Songs chart. The Catalyst reached #1 on Rock Songs, and 27 on the Hot 100 which is a high ranking. It was also featured in several TV and movie promos. Iridescent premiered at 21 and is rising. Also their ATS tour dates have been selling out, and if you want to even use LPA as an example....we got 34 million hits the month of ATS's release, our largest in our site's history. Even Minutes To Midnight (pre leak) didn't have that level of activity. I've had people who have never liked LP before, becoming a fan of the band after ATS because it was such a step forward, so I'd say you are dead wrong and have no clue what you are talking about.

3. The band has said in numerous interviews that they no longer care about selling millions of records. They know the sales of Hybrid Theory were a complete and total anomaly, and that it's impossible for lightning to hit the same spot twice. They're now focused on making the music they want to make, instead of what the record label/people like you think they NEED to make to sell records.

4. A Thousand Suns was the most critically acclaimed album of their career, with some calling it a masterpiece and others praising the band for the creative risk they took with this album. Kerrang (infamous for disliking the band) gave it 4/5 stars, and other publications called it one of the most daring albums of 2010. It was universally praised, something that Hybrid Theory, Meteora were not.

So considering the points above, I am fully convinced you are one of the most ill-informed, and unintentionally humorous trolls we've had on these boards in a LONG time. I strongly suggest you research your information a little better in the future, and please don't try to retort unless you know what you're talking about for now on, because the level of "wrong" in your post is quite frankly embarrassing. The band is doing what THEY want to do, they are NOT in denial, and quite frankly they don't need delusional "fans" like yourself to tell them what to do.

El Muerto

Well, except RHCP, Cash and arguably Beastie Boys all those artists are average at best and just another band/singer in a crowd.

But that was not my point anyway, my point was that with Gilmore they were highly successful and recognizable, and now with Rubin (although they still have some good songs) they sound like any other band on TV. And if it weren't for Gilmore, they would probably never even have a chance of working with someone like Rubin. That's why I don't like them openly shitting on their first two albums.

Do they really think they'd get this rich and famous if they had released Waiting For The End instead of In The End or Iridescent instead of Numb? Fuck no, this forums probably wouldn't exist, let alone have this many members.

Denny

Denny @Jackethx

Derek, why are you against his opinion? This is, after all, a discussion thread. Your opinion is your opinion, and his is his. What makes you think that he is a troll when he is stating what he believes, like what you have done.... Furthermore, Kerrang! demoted ATS to 'KKK' later on in a special edition of Kerrang! directly about Linkin Park and the rise of Nu-Metal. They gave HT 'KKKKK', Meteora 'KKKK', MTM 'KKK' and after a re-decision, ATS 'KKK'. So, how after this fantastic review, many articles and a special edition of the magazine purely on them, are they hated by them?

Minus

Well, considering The Mars Volta is so badass John Frusciante willingly and gladly tracked and collaborated with them on their albums...

I just facepalmed so hard it dropped my IQ low enough that I started enjoying Meteora. Kudos sir. Although I'm not quite sure what 'kudos' means anymore.

El Muerto

Wow, I have to admit that you're so witty and that it doesn't get old after reading more that 2 of your posts.

And you're also using a logic that probably makes sense only to you.

Mars Volta can collaborate with Trent Reznor and they still would be able to be awesome. And Frusciante could go and collaborate with Good Chartlotte and they won't be able to be awesome either.

Minus

John Frusciante doesn't collaborate with just anybody. There's a reason he left the Chili Peppers after BSSM. There's a reason he handpicked his replacement after Stadium Arcadium, a guy he had previously worked with on his solo records.. There's a reason his second musical effort afterwards was with Omar. He doesn't work with 'average' musicians.

lparker55

lparker55 Well-Known Member

Can we all just agree that there are many fans out there who like the old LP and new LP, and there are many who like both...Sure they lost fans with their new sound... I actually think the "Hybrid" that Linkin Park is who defines them as a whole, they've made records like HT and Meteora, where they sounded similar but yet a little different...Then they made albums like MTM and ATS which sounded different in many aspects. They are by far one of not the most diverse band I have ever heard. The fact that this band has so many "hybrid" of sounds is exactly who they are...Linkin Park, a band constantly evolving, changing sounds, experimenting...

There are some days where I feel like putting in HT and Meteora because I like that sound, the energy, the angst, the records in general...Other days I love putting in MTM and ATS because they give me a different sound completly, yet the same band... I love how depending on whatever mood I am, they have a song or album that will put me in that mindset...

Their one of the greatest bands in the history of music, point made!

El Muerto

Don't you get it that being a super-talented musician doesn't necessarily mean that you can make good music? Just like being an average musician doesn't mean you can't make good music (the best example: Linkin Park)

Derek

The band isn't recognizable? I hear the first 3 seconds of Waiting For The End or The Catalyst, or even the drums from far away and I know it's a Linkin Park song. I've never once confused a song by Linkin Park with another band, and I know it's Linkin Park even before Chester starts singing. The "signature style" hasn't gone anywhere, it's just evolved.

And honestly who gives a crap whether or not they're multi-platinum selling artists. Do you think Radiohead, NIN or [insert other commonly considered as 'influential' band here] got their status by selling 10 million records every album? No. They got to where they are by making the music THEY wanted to make, and by challenging themselves...which is what Linkin Park is doing now. Linkin Park has already sold more records than most bands do in their lifetimes. I doubt they care about mainstream appeal anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.