Rick Rubin Producing Next Linkin Park Album, Discusses Progress

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

If we're basing this on 'good music' as opposed to talent, then your prior response to my list of artists is completely subjective. Good music is judged by a person's opinion. It's based on your taste, not the music they actually make.

If we're basing it on fans, your 'average' remark holds no water. If we're basing it on skill, still no dice. Or sales. Or critical acclaim.

These are all things that artists produced by Rick Rubin has. So your argument based on your subjective tastes can, in principle, be applied to any producer as long as the person saying so has tastes that go against what is in that producer's history.

LPSuomi

LPSuomi Member

Oops... yeah that's what i meant :) And yes, Chester is a great singer too! Both are fantastic singers!

Yesss!

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

They might be making the music they want now, but they sure as hell didn't get here by doing that.

Well of course it's subjective, isn't everything about music subjective? Otherwise people wouldn't be calling that Japanese noise music or calling Brad Delson a talented guitar player.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
    lparker55

lparker55 Well-Known Member

Exactly! Without the success of HT and Meteora, there would be no way they would be able to be making the music they wanted to make

Minus

The thing that gets me is you guys seem to assume that the band is calling HT and Meteora crap. They aren't. This is coming from me, the guy who hates Meteora with a passion. Never did they say that those albums were crap. They were the music the band wanted to make AT THE TIME. Nothing more, nothing less. They just prefer their new material over their older material. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

So no, they weren't making 'manufactured music' at the beginning of their career. That was music they WANTED to make 10 years ago. Mike and the band have been clear in saying they are still proud of their past work. It's just not where they are musically anymore.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Radiohead might have been far more radio friendly when they first started out (and that's a legitimate point), but NIN's first album was released independently and didn't break the top 70. The next album featured music that wasn't really mainstream friendly ("Closer" talking about f-cking someone like an animal) but it still became popular because of how different it was. Case in point? You don't need to make radio friendly music to be popular/influential.

lparker55

lparker55 Well-Known Member

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

Urghhhhhh he we go again. I knew it was too good to be true for this thread to stay clean & argument free, but by the 2nd page its like being back in 2007!

I for one I'm pleased that Rick Rubin is producing LP5. like Derek's mentioned, hes the best kind of producer for LP, who lets the band get on with it without too much interference - compared to Don Gilmore (which in my opinion helped ruined Meteora) who overproduces everything to the max. Yet I'm glad they did get him originally for HT. Love him or hate him Don helped make the bad who they are to day, so Kudos for Don Gilmore for Hybrid theory! But Rick producing the next LP album is a welcome return. It should be another great album.

Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

Haven't seen such discussions in a long time. Actually I'm kind of glad that people with different opinions talk.

El Muerto

Well I don't know, I'm not following them that closely anymore, but I got the feeling they wanna leave those albums far behind and never look back. I hope you're right.

I think they were pressured to change a lot of things. Just listen to HT demos, they changed better lyrics for the worse. Or rewrote songs 6 million times. I think WB had a lot of influence on them back then and they said yes to everything. But I'm not blaming them, they were young and broke and wanted to make it in the music business. I'd do the same.

Derek

I for one do not think it's coincidental that their lyrics have gotten better since Rubin came on. Don Gilmore destroyed Meteora. The unreleased Meteora demos on LPUX (even without vocals) prove this.

Minus

Derek

Can I say as much as I wholly disagree with some of the comments in this thread, that I'm loving how active the discussion is? Come on people, invite your friends. It's debate time! :lol:

El Muerto

Wait, when did thick-skulled metalheads ever enjoy any Linkin Park record?

Minus

They were very closeted. See Blabbermouth, where the same people who were trashing the first two albums started bitching about MTM and ATS asking for the old sound back.

Derek

Many metalheads enjoyed Hybrid Theory. The blabbermouth haters only hate LP cause they "aren't metal anymore", even though they were never actually "metal". :lol:

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Minus hit the nail right on the head.

And I'm sorry, but the role of producers, especially in rock/alt bands, are way over exaggerated. I refuse to believe that Don Gilmore was the reason Linkin Park became big.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
    Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

^^^ Nu Metal heads to be precise! lets not cause a riot! :lol:

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Very much looking forward to this.

And just from reading some posts before, Minus nailed it earlier. Linkin Park is proud of all their records. They are just happy with the direction they're going and don't want to look back. Pretty simple.

Minus

I've been too insightful, intelligent, and logical lately, so I'm taking your mistake and ROLLing with it.

A ROLL of producers? Like, a dinner roll with producers stuffed inside right before baking? Or a sushi roll? Or are you physically rolling producers down a hill? Up a hill? That would be tiring. Especially considering the weight of some of the bigger producers out there.

Unless you know, you meant ROLE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.