Rick Rubin Producing Next Linkin Park Album, Discusses Progress

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Relax. There was no bashing in Minus' comment at all and how you could construe that as bashing is beyond me, because it wasn't. What Minus was trying to say is that LP have made it their mission to ensure that from this point forward...nobody can guess what their future records are going to sound like. This means that they're going to do the exact opposite of what everyone thinks they should do (go back to making harder music, return to their metal roots etc) because that's what people expect of them. If they do the unexpected, they're doing their jobs as musicians because true artists set out to make a statement, not fit in with the crowd.

2. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Yes. I definitely feel that way, especially with quotation marks.

EDIT: Oh God, Derek is defending one of my posts. Everyone get into their shelters, the Rapture is nigh!

3. Derek

I've been supporting you this entire thread. Are you blind? :lol:. You've made SEVERAL good posts.

4. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I see what you both did there...

I like what she said better. :awesome:

5. lparker55

lparker55 Well-Known Member

He was being a smartass, like I've seen on here many times. He comes across as if what he says is all that matters but whatever...

Look I'm one of the hugest LP fans anyone will ever meet...All I wanted was to get everyone's take on whether they would want the new album to be more heavier thats all...

Thought I could share an opinion on here without getting sarcastic, smart remarks back on my posts

6. Minus

I don't read your posts on principle. :derek:

7. Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

I agree that more breakdowns, solos and electronica would be awesome! I'm not sure if I would like a really heavy album though. As long as there is a good mixture of heavy and softer songs then I'm good, I like the balance that ATS has.

8. Hybrid

I think that whatever direction Linkin Park takes this next record to is still going to sound like magic to my ears. They make good heavy songs. They make good softer songs. All in all, they are Linkin Park songs. With my favorite band, I've learned to just not expect anything specific out of any new record they do. By doing so, all you're doing is setting yourself up for disappointment. For someone who "will always support the band," you're already willing them to fail in your mind if they don't have a heavier record next time around.

9. lparker55

lparker55 Well-Known Member

Exactly! I don't want the whole album to be heavy, just more than 2 songs... But I would love some breakdowns, solos and more electronica, get Hahn going crazy with that badass board of his, let him unleash haha

I will always support LP, like you said Linkin Park songs are exactly that, Linkin Park. Thats the beauty and mystic of this band is we don't know what to expect now, espically sense MTM, so with that being said... I will always love anything they put out, ATS grew on me over time, it was not a inital wow I love this! But after time, I'm like you know what I like this, ATS just delivers a listening experience that puts the listener in an almost dreamscape mentallity.

However, if they had a few more songs that were heavy, I totally wouldn't mind!!!

10. mrhahn98

mrhahn98 Member

I think Stormwalker has a point there ( bussiness wise), u guys are just too harsh on him.

I'm a big fan of ATS but looks like alot of people dislike the new sound of Linkin Park, they wanted something HT-ish. Linkin Park as a band of course they can write and sing whatever they want, but they have a job as well. HT/MT i think is not their best album up to now but they are easier for alot of people and somewhat iconic of LP's music for them too. So i hope in this album they can balance it out, i mean making something as mature as ATS but also easier for the mass market to accept.

11. Minus

So, catering to the masses is more important than artistic integrity. Awesome.

12. Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

@travz: I don't think getting a random friend is as effective as getting someone who knows how to do a proper critique, or helped dozens of other bands reach stardom.

Non-sales doesn't equal breaking up for the band. Becoming unpopular is not a death sentence. The thing is, you cannot predict what's gonna be trendy, otherwise record labels wouldn't have to do this game of "sign random bands and then throw them at a wall and see what sticks." Otherwise every band signed would sell a million. What was trendy ten years ago isn't going to be trendy tomorrow. Maybe in 30 years it'll be retro, but you gotta think of something inbetween that.

But since it can't be predicted, you run into the same problems as LP would be catering to the fanbase, only worse. Not only is LP in a land where they are "damned if they do, damned if they don't" in regards to pleasing their fans, but the greater population is just plum difficult to predict at all. So why bother?

There is only one tool that has not failed them, and their only reasonable option: writing music that they enjoy and think is good. Double points for at least trying to stand on the bleeding edge rather than copying what's trendy like they used to do. If the greater population likes it, great! If not, then they tried their best. I do not think writing HT again increases their chances of staying afloat longer, particularly since that style is part of a dead horse genre. The fact is, fame and fortune is nice and all, but that's something that's here today, gone tomorrow, and dictated by fickle, selfish people. Ask me ten years ago if you'd think I'd see LP in 2010, I'd cover my ears and try not to think about it.

I'm most grateful that they've stayed here this long, and now with more artistic integrity than ever.

Well, obsolete for established acts, anyway. There's still the problem of getting discovered.

IMO, Although HT and Meteora were my favorite albums and I loved the heavy, Given Up and No More Sorrow did not tickle me at all. I think there's more I'm looking for than "heavy." While I like heavy a lot and I would welcome it in any new music (rapping, too), I think at the end of the day I just want something that sounds good and something I haven't heard already to death.

Welcome to the Internet.

(And I know that contradicts on what I said on iheartradio, by that point I was giving up and making up crap so I'd have something to bash).

13. Derek

Linkin Park were bound to lose fans no matter what direction they took. If they stayed sounding like Hybrid Theory/Meteora there would've been an exodus of fans who left cause they grew out of the sound and got tired of the same old thing. If they changed their sound, there would be people who wanted the "same sound" and quit on them cause they no longer were the "old Linkin Park".

Point being: Linkin Park's change in sound is not completely responsible for their loss of fans, because they would've lost fans regardless of what they did. People grow out of bands, it happens all the time.

14. Minus

Quite a few musicians have made their way via youtube and gone on to be pretty damn successful. See Boyce Avenue, Kina Grannis, David Choi, etc.

15. SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

I think this album is the perfect opportunity for them to get started on their reggae-rock concept album with dubstep instrumental sections. Just sayin'.

16. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I'm sure they have many artistic friends. It's not like they'd call up a bro from college and ask for their advice. If they want to keep doing new things, I'd suggest actually doing new things, including making albums in different ways than the past. They don't need Rick to make an album. They might need him to feel comfortable, but comfort isn't a priority or else they'd still be making Meteora.

Edit: I want them to feel lost at first, like they rightfully should if they are trying something new. Then I want their artistic ability to take over to create their album.

17. Hybrid

The gear-up for the release of Minutes to Midnight made me not really expect anything from a Linkin Park album. This feeling was further forged when I heard Minutes To Midnight for the first time. It was a shock the first time I heard the album. I then came to grips with it and it made me learn to open my narrow 'heavier is better' mindset and to not really give a fuck what other people thought about my favorite band. This feeling was further enhanced with the release of A Thousand Suns. Once I got over the "What the hell am I listening to" stage, I learned to accept it. I now love the album. I probably wouldn't if Minutes To Midnight wasn't released. The thing is, I gave everything they've done a chance. I love everything they've done. Musically, artistically, artistically-musically, it's all amazing in my mind. it all makes sense. I have enough trust in Linkin Park to make whatever they feel like making. Unbound. The odds are good that I'm still going to give it a chance and I'm still going to love it none-the-less. I don't wish any kind of heavieness or softness or 'rapness' or 'rockness' or 'electronicaness' or anything on the new album or any album after. To quote Chester, "We can make the music we want now. We can go crazy. We know who we are now. We are Linkin Park- and there is nothing else like us."

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  18. Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

While true, I don't know if that's really comparable to the label output of new artists. The thing is with youtube is that 95% of everything is crap, and that's stuff not on mainstream radio and not in Wal-Mart. There's probably systems out there that crowdsource to find good artists and push them, but that's not mainstream yet. But I hope that sort of thing would be eventually.

I'm sure LP went over the list of producers, friends included, and picked out the person who is most aligned with their interests and most likely to get them where they need to go. Somebody else might have not had the same credentials that they're looking for.

19. Minus

But that's the beauty of it. The crappy artists don't get any attention and the standout talent gets noticed almost immediately. Boyce Avenue starts touring in Europe, as does Kina Grannis. Kina wins a Superbowl Ad featuring her song. David Choi becomes huge in Korea. It may not be as IMMEDIATE as record label payola, but it's more honest and is the future.

20. El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Never even heard of them. I guess they still need a label.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.