Rick Rubin Producing Next Linkin Park Album, Discusses Progress

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

[​IMG]

2. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Yes, because that worked so well for Limp Bizkit.

Nu-Metal is dead. Sorry, buddy.

3. DaMU

DaMU Well-Known Member

That's exactly what they plan to do. In fact, Delson's actually going back and repeating elementary through high school, two weeks for each grade. He got the idea from a documentary called "Billy Madison."

4. Derek

You know, there's a lot of people who claim MTM was really different from Hybrid Theory and Meteora but I don't think it is. There's a lot of homages to the old LP sound in there, and if anything I think MTM was the "Hybrid Theory" sound fully realized. It was them maturing it as far as they could, and taking the sound as far as it could go before they dumped it entirely for ATS.

5. Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

I don't know about that Derek, even just as a musician/guitarist, those songs were completely different from HT/HT II...
    MTM was them attempting to make the change they did on ATS, but being too scared to do anything unusual, hence the more standard rock sound.
    ATS they went to make the same change, but did it with balls this time.

Though don't get me wrong, I still like most of MTM, except for Given Up and BIO

6. Derek

I honestly think Minutes To Midnight is their second best album. Controversial view to many fans maybe, but I think the album got extremely underrated.

7. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Well-Known Member

This has been a fantastic discussion. And while I skimmed through certain points as they began to be rehashed, I think one very important thing hasn't been mentioned in all of this and really wasn't mentioned with the release of "A Thousand Suns"...

The band's physical abilities and lives have changed.

Physically, they're better, more versatile musicians. That means they have more access to a variety of instruments and, thus, more willing to experiment with them. Brad Delson came out of his cage as a guitarist a bit and is more than willing to experiment with different effects or even different instruments.

Plus, Chester's voice has changed. He's even said it in articles: He can't keep screaming. And it's clear that his far more effective in using a more soulful voice. He has some vocal chops, and he's likely looking for more ways to use them (witness the cover of Adele's "Rolling in the Deep").

Finally, their lives have changed dramatically, especially Chester. That means new experiences, new things to reflect on, different attitudes, and an overall different mood. They're not the raging, angry guys that were producing the music earlier in their careers. They're more worldly, more aware, and have been exposed to a deeper variety of music and people.

People change. And when those people are musicians, if they're any good, their music will change with them.

Hell, Bob Dylan's gone through about 4,000 different versions of himself. He's been pretty damn good in every version.

8. arbiter

arbiter Well-Known Member

:lol:

Funny enough, i thought ATS was more like Hybrid Theory than MtM. It was just Hybrid Theory reversed and accentuated with great natural additions like Mike singing fully with Chester. If that makes any sense. :awesome:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  9. Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

I thought ATS was HT in spirit. It's sort of a new Hybrid. Not the sound, but the fact that it's like a Hybrid of things.

10. arbiter

arbiter Well-Known Member

Yes, Yes, Yes! Just like that. They went back to their roots, their original spirit of making music. And i think Chester described it perfectly too. The things that were background on HT became the foreground on ATS with the things usually in the foreground moved to the background on ATS. And i thought that made so much sense.^_^

11. Derek

I think the Bob Dylan comment was perfect. Really it doesn't matter how many changes or different iterations a band/artist does, as long as every change is a good one and doesn't abandon the band's integrity. Back in the days when Progressive Rock was at the forefront it was not uncommon for a band to change sound with every album, and it was actually expected and applauded. Now everyone thinks a band has to stay the same their entire career. What happened? Seriously.

12. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I have to agree, Derek. The funny thing is, the band has told us, in lyrics even, that they've changed. "I am not the fortune and the fame, nor the same person telling you to forfeit the game." That line to me says "I'm not letting my success get in the way of who I am, but at the same time, I'm not the same person that I once was." It just sometimes seems like... Nobody's listening. :awesome:

13. Derek

I see what you did thaaar. But in the meantime, I think this quote from Mike sums it up the best:

"We were looking back at the things that we had done in the past... and I think we just figured that we had exhausted that sound. It was easy for us to replicate, it was easy for other bands to replicate, and we just needed to move on."

When are people going to realize that the "Linkin Park sound" from Hybrid Theory/Meteora was no longer original anymore, nor challenging for people to figure out by the time Minutes To Midnight was released? Turn on Sirius XM and listen to Octane or any of the other hard rock stations, and you'll hear at least 2-3 bands in one sitting that sound like they ripped a page right out of the Hybrid Theory playbook. A good example is the band Hollywood Undead. I never was a big fan of them, but their first album was at least original. Now they've come out with a new sound that's a complete rip off of Meteora, sounds just like a more immature Linkin Park, with a Chester soundalike on lead vocals to top it off. And that's not the only example.

Do people really want Linkin Park to be a band where anybody can play their songs or write music that sounds similar to them? Sure, some people may argue that some of their 'new songs' are more stripped down and hence easier to copy, but at least the band is trying a different sound with every album. It's kind of hard to copy a band's sound, when they're constantly changing it. :)

14. Hybrid

That quote from Mike... Wasn't that from the Minutes to Midnight DVD? I like the fact that they've changed. I look at many other bands that came out during that early 2000's period and I realize how much I dont listen to them anymore because I got bored with them. Two prime examples for me are Disturbed and Slipknot. To me, everything that they've done sounds the same. I got bored with it. Nothing seemed like it advanced. I'm glad Linkin Park took a chance and evolved their sound. They've kept things fresh, even though my thick-headed listen-only-to-the hits-on-the-radio "friend" from highschool on facebook likes to differ this opinion. The truth is that the real fans that have evolved with the band "get it" and will continue to support the band. I've never felt "alienated" for liking Linkin Park. I wear it as a badge of honour and could give many fucks about what people thought about it. I can't wait to see where the band goes next. Mike tweeted the other day something where someone else tweeted about sending a survey out meant that they are going to pander to the fans rather than continue to be artistic. Mike then added his comment "Damned if you do..." I found that kind of funny even though it probably shouldn't be.

As far as Hollywood Undead... I always thought HU's very first single "Undead" had a blatant rip off of "Papercut" where alot of others argue Ozzy's "Crazy Train." Never liked tham and have always thought they were rip-off artists.

15. Derek

Because they really are damned if they do, and damned if they don't with some of the fanbase.

Personally though? I'd rather have a "damned" band be artistic and following their own passions, than catering to what certain fans think will "sell". I don't care if these fans have worked for radio, or are music producers....until you're a band with the level of pressure LP has had from their label over the past 10 years, and until you know what it's like to sell over ten million records with your first CD and then be expected to achieve that on the next album, you know jack shit about what's right for the band.

I'm not saying that I know the stress that the band goes through, because nobody does. All I know is that the band has signaled numerous times that being that multi-platinum, ten plus million selling band isn't what they're striving for. They want to release music that has integrity and makes an artistic statement, and I say more power to them. My dad may miss the "hard rock" that Linkin Park used to do, but I love the band for never being afraid to try new things in the face of adversity or pressure from their critics. I hope they never give up being themselves for a fast buck. They're one of the few very mainstream bands out there that even take chances anymore.

16. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I do, and it's not stressful at all.

-Phoenix

17. Hybrid

Rockin the booth and spittin the truth!

Even if they do a "For the fans" album, as long as they still push themselves and do it tastefully, I am pretty sure it's going to be something amazing. My whole thought with polling their fans like they did is it's going to enhance the live shows that much more. The band is going to find out what the fans put as their favorite songs and possibly work them into a setlist. There were alot of things on that survey that I'm not sure it was directed to what they will do creatively for the next album... Time will tell, though, and I'm excited as hell for it.

18. Derek

Robot Boy with full orchestra and choir kthanxbye.

:lol:

19. ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

Like what you said about HU. Still pissed they had such a unique sound with beautiful (though sometimes cheesy) textures that rocked my socks and then went to that Alt-rock crap with the new singer.

But about anybody being able to copy HT/M stuff, I don't think you can, thats why they were such a success and outlasted Limp, Korn, and what have you. You can make crappy rip offs (lol at that foreign Faint rip off), but not completely emulate the cohesiveness that LP brought to the table.

20. Dusty

Dusty LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

I think the most enjoyable thing about being a Linkin Park fan now is not knowing what the next album will sound like until you buy it and hear it for the first time.

I did it with Minutes to Midnight and with A Thousand Suns. Both experiences were different and I got something from each album. I loved Hybrid Theory when it came out. It was the only album I would listen to at times and I couldn't wait for the next. When Meteora came out I enjoyed it at first but it kind of felt like I had already heard this once before. As today I enjoy some songs off the album but they feel more like Hybrid Theory demos or B-sides. That's why I feel its Linkin Park's weakest album to date.

I honestly think if Minutes to Midnight would have been another Hybrid Theory I think I would have grown tired of the band. Minutes to Midnight might not be the greatest album but I really enjoyed the breath of fresh air it gave me during my listening experience. A Thousand Suns to me is their best album and I can't wait to see what Linkin Park with producer Rick Rubin have in store next.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.