'The' Eminem Thread

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by ThaHandyman, Feb 19, 2011.

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

When I'm Gone!

I didn't like much of the EP, I loved his flow, its crazy, but I need a good beat, I just dig Lighters and Fast Lane.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

^ When I'm Gone is over 5 years old. Lot has changed in that time.

He's either lost it or doesn't have enough drive to try again.

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

Exactly, he spits a lot hotter now! He's crazy good, hot as he's ever been.

Agent

Talking about drugs and dick make him hotter? o_O

Syn

Syn Member

While its not his song, his verse in "Airplanes" does not mention either. Neither does "I Need a Doctor". Though it may have a reference to drugs with the "when i was at my lowest". Though it seems the song represents before he became famous and got on the drugs

As for songs that are his, 25 to Life doesnt use either.

Personally, Fast lane and Almost Famous is about as close to the old eminem as id ever want him to go. I hated the Slim Shady persona, the comedy raps, the violent raps. And thats just not from him, thats rap in general. Like all music, lyrics of a song should have a meaning behind them (something more than sex, violence, drugs, cars and money). Which is why i hate most music on the radio.

Sing for the Moment, The Way i am, cleaning out my closet, when im gone, toy soldiers, mockingbird, and Stan are more or less the only songs I ever liked from his old stuff. I hated Relapse, with the exception of Beautiful, which almost redeems the whole album. Meanwhile, I loved most of Recovery. Poppy beats or not, its still hands down some of the best "mainstream" rap put out in recent years. Em's verse in No Love is incredible.

When the new songs (least as far as recovery, havent listened to the EP) mention drugs, it isn't about the use anymore. Instead its about no longer needing them. Which personally makes the song 100 times better.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
    Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

That's something that he really only needed to talk about in one song. Not Afraid in my opinion was a badass song that got that message (that he's off drugs now) across quite clearly. He didn't need to mention it in EVERY FUCKING SONG in Recovery and in most of this EP.

The thing is that I honestly don't give a shit whether he's on drugs or not. I just don't need him to tell me about it. It's like if someone made continuous Facebook statuses saying "I'm off drugs now, aren't I awesome?" for months. WE GET IT.

Oh, and When I'm Gone is easily the best song he's ever made IMO.

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

This indeed.

You might like this mashup I did a longgg time ago of +44 and When I'm Gone, with a few Linkin Park, Fort Minor, and Jay-Z samples in the mix.

http://soundcloud.com/tha-handyman/untitled

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

As soon as I heard him rapping over a sample of Haddaway's "What is Love," I knew Eminem didn't really give a shit anymore.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Listening to the Bad Meets Evil album now. What I want to know is, does Eminem have something against David Carradine or something? :lol:

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

Whose that? I just copped the album, just to listen to Ems flow. Standout tracks are Fast Lane, Lighters, A Kiss, and Take From Me

Jeff

David Carradine played Bill in the Kill Bill series. He died from "accidental asphyxiation", hence why Eminem referenced it in Almost Famous "They can go get a belt or a necktie To hang themselves by. Like David Carradine they can go fuck themselves and just die" and he references David Carradine again in Welcome 2 Hell.

As for the EP, that shit put me to sleep for the most part. I got bored after half of the tracks played.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
    Syn

Syn Member

Alright putting aside the songs i felt were meh on the album and thus arent familiar with the content of the lyrics. Cold Wind Blows, Talkin' 2 Myself, On Fire, Won't Back Down, Going Through Changes, Seduction, Cinderella Man, Space Bound and So bad. (Though i can handle cold wind, wont back down and going through changes.

No Love, 25 to Life, Almost Famous, Love the Way You lie and Youre Never Over are not about drugs. Im sure that atleast a couple of the songs I dont care for arent about him being off drugs either. Just annoys me when people say everything he put out is about it, when in fact less than half probably is. Then adding to the songs he's been featured in (Airplanes, Need a Doctor for example) that dont talk about it.

And with so many rappers putting out songs about women, cars, being ON drugs/selling drugs, or having tons of money, i would take a whole album filled with the idea of getting through the addiction and getting clean over any of that shit.

When I'm Gone is a great song though.

@Raymond Luxury-Yacht
    To each their own. Personally i think No Love is one of the best tracks on the album. I hate Lil Wayne. But im fine with him on here.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
    NateXY

NateXY I was by your side, powerless.

I like the EP, it isn't too bad... but just my opinion, it seems like he's taken a step backwards from Recovery?

What I REALLY love about the present Eminem is that he shows his two sides a LOT more now - The clean, sober Marshall Mathers, and the angry, evil Eminem. I don't think he plays drug-addicted shady anymore to be honest. He's matured beyond that.

Anyways, back to my point. When recovery was released, personally I thought it was a great change for Eminem. It might have not been a classic like Marshall Mathers LP or the Eminem Show, but it was definately much better than Encore and Relaspe. Some of the songs there are one of his best he's ever made in my opinion. However, I thought he departured too much. Something about his new music wasn't filling, you know? I felt as if the lyrics were filled with too many metaphors and they were a step back. Even on some songs his flow was a little jarred. It was an Eminem that's probably for the better, but it wasn't the same anymore.

Then the Fast Lane EP was released. I think that's the best thing he's made since Marshall Mathers LP. It blows everything else away.
    His flow is so incredible on that album. The beats are fantastic. His lyrics are agressive again, but now he's more mature. But he didn't depart Recovery 100% - Lighters, a contrast from rest of the song, is different but lyrically amazing. It's an EP, so I didn't expect the flow to be great. I was wrong. It's great. It really shows that he's the greatest rapper alive right now (note, I said ALIVE). And Royce da 59 isn't that much behind.

^^ my two cents.

Gitsnik

Gitsnik WAAAGH!!! Über Member

Just listened to "Bad meets evil". Not my favorite song but Eminem's rhymes are just impressive.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Notice that earlier I said drugs and dicks. So now take off No Love, Almost Famous and Seduction from that list of yours since they talk about dicks at some point. "I stuck my dick in this game like a rapist, they call me Slim Rothelsberger." It's lines like that that reflect how bad Eminem can be sometimes. And I am willing to bet that over half of what he puts out says the word drugs at some point. I think that criticism is fair.

Agent

[video=youtube;ti06rLVfLqE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti06rLVfLqE[/video]

Jeff

Better quality :p
    [video=youtube;wKv4dxZw6_U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKv4dxZw6_U[/video]

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

Space Bound is my favourite song from Recovery. I like the end of the video when he shoots himself.

This YouTube comment made me lol, "i didnt know your temple was under your chin" :lol:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  20. Jeff

Yeah, it's by far the best song on Recovery for me. I'm glad Em made it into a single.