Gay Rights

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by the enigma, Jul 8, 2011.

the enigma

the enigma The Routine Scar

As a Television and Digital Media Production student (TV, News, Film, etc.), I was given an assignment to write a short, effective commentary on an issue of my choosing. Some chose to be funny, some chose to tug at your heart strings...and I chose this. It started a lively debate in class when I read it, so I thought I'd post it here for the diverse LPA forum members to discuss.

Nobody Can Shave Me Now

Nobody Can Shave Me Now Formerly known as Ron Jeremy LPA VIP

Gay marriage is a RIGHT! I grew up in a conservative family. My grandfather was a pastor and of course it was pushed on me that gay marriage is wrong but who in the hell are we to take away happiness? My stance?, all for it! Im happy to see the progression in some states. Society standards need to change. Its time America owns up to "The pursuit of happiness."

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

My belief is, if you don't like gay marriage, then don't get one and shut the fuck up.

HypnoToad

HypnoToad Glory to the HypnoToad! LPA VIP

Gay people have the right to be just as miserable as straight people.

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

Simply put, its a perversion of the marital union between a man and a woman, there's nothing 'right' about it.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

No it isn't. If on one hand a man and a woman get married and on the other a man and a man or a woman and a woman get married, they can have sweet FA to do with each other if they want. Neither couple is perverting anything about the other there.

I'd go back to what Todd said here, but a bit politer. If you personally don't like it then fine, just don't marry a man yourself and don't become an official then perform gay marriages. Past that it stops being your problem.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
    Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Of course I support marriage!

Oh, we're making distinctions for gay marriage! That's bizarre. It's also fucking stupid. Gays should have the right just as anyone else does. Marriage isn't even originally a religious institution so people need to get over it.

Theazninvasion68

Theazninvasion68 It's like blood to a vampire, our tragic desire. LPA Super VIP

As with Handyman.. Yeah. Pretty much.

I don't support Gay Marriage. Or, as defined as the first post here, Gay Rights.

What I do support is the elimination of poor treatment of other people towards homosexuals. They're just doing their thing. Leave em' be.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I suppose Gay Rights, 100% , as well as gay marriage but I find it kind of distracting and harmful to call it "Gay Rights" instead, I'd opt for Human Rights, or Civil Rights.

I could be wrong about what it should be called but the fact remains:

If a man wants to marry a man or a woman wants to marry a woman or a woman wants to marry a man, it's a human right to marry the one that you love between two consensual adults.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Wait. What? You support eliminating poor treatment towards gays but you're ok with saying they can't get married? Nice.

I think all forms of marriage are kind of dumb, but who should really give two shits who gets married? Somebody could marry a horse and I wouldn't think twice about it.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

So is it okay for a 50 year old man to marry a 16 year old girl? Or for a guy to get married for a 6th time in his life?

Then why can't a man and a man, or a woman and a woman get married?

Theazninvasion68

Some, if not most, of the intense and violent bullying I've ever seen in my life has been against Gays

Nonetheless, I firmly believe Marriage.. Is a Marital union between a Man and a Women. Poor treatment and Marriage are not the same thing. They're Equivocal.

If you really would like to push me to my stance, leave it at this, then.

I'm quite saddened and upset over the divorce rate of this nation, regardless of who you're married to.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

[YOUTUBE]HtJ_sDRRVVI[/YOUTUBE]

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Poor treatment and not letting people that love each other get married are the same thing. You think it's good treatment? Is it fair? No.

Theazninvasion68

No, Poor treatment is bullying, harassment, sexism, and the likes.

I'm not saying they're aren't allowed to love one another. If they'd like a Civil Union, I'm not against that.

So Poor treatment and Marriage are not the same thing.

The reason this is a problem in the U.S is those who Officiate Marriages are often Religious. Be it a Priest, Rabbi, Pastor, etc...

Since they won't and are against Gay Marriage, being forced to do so is against their core beliefs. It's probably not what they thought they'd have to do when they became one.

Civil Unions bypass this for those who don't wish to be Officiated by those I listed. They're for everyone regardless.

... And you know how things go when people are forced to do something in this nation. :lol:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
    Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Let's just keep in mind that marriages are NOT originally a religious convention, nor are they purely by or for religious people.

We're talking about the law related to marriage here, the LAW, the one modern society has to make things fair and shit for everyone.

Of course there's nothing wrong with gay marriage. You think you'd notice any difference in your life if it was legal? Why do you oppose it, other than because of what religious institutions say?

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Exactly. Whether or not religious institutions agree with it is moot. Marriage is a federally-recognized legal contract between two consenting adults. Sexual orientation should have nothing to do with it. Gay people are citizens just like straight people, therefore they should have the same rights. Plain and simple.

Fuck double standards.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
    Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Let's get something straight here - no religious institution will be forced to officiate gay marriages. In fact, a religious exemption in the legislation just passed in NY was key to getting the necessary Republican votes for it to pass. Priests and pastors will not be forced to marry gay couples against their will (and why would you want to get married by someone who is against your marriage anyways?). You can still go down to the county court house and get married by a judge, or have one officiate at your wedding.

My sister's rabbi didn't want to officiate at her wedding because her fiance was Christian. So she found another rabbi who was more than willing to do it. No one was forced into doing something they didn't want to do, and that will be the case with gay marriage too.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Marriage was an established norm before religion. Just saying.

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

[​IMG]

Personally, I find Christians to be the most disgusting, hypocritical creatures that ever walked this entire planet. Christians should not be allowed to marry. Actually, all Christians should be deported.

Oh, you mean that my opinion of disgust shouldn't weigh on the rights of other people? My disgust is my problem to deal with and I should learn to grow up? Ok then.

Here's another tidbit of morality: The Golden Rule, which not only one of the rules Jesus taught but appears in most religions before and after him. Treat others how you would want to be treated. When you treat gay people like dirt, I will think of you as less than dirt, and I will certainty not be sympathetic to your pathetic idea of marriage.