How Popular Do You Think Linkin Park Is?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Benjamin, Aug 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Dusty

Dusty LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

OHAI, I'm Soundwave :awesome:

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Aside from Green Day and Foo Fighters, I can't think of many modern rock bands that can still fill up arenas (not necessarily selling those arenas out but consistently playing to crowds in the 8,000-12,000 range). They're not as relevant to the modern music scene, but they still have a lot of fans.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Not as popular as I, 'nuff said.

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

Why do people think that reversing back to a style that was popular 10+ years ago will make them just as popular today? Trends constantly change. I honestly don't think a return to the old sound will make Linkin Park the it thing again. It'll make them old and played out. I don't think they will ever be the it thing again, ever, no matter what they do. They're in a better place than the band of the hour: they've gained a solid career that didn't fizzle out after a couple years of being trendy. And quite frankly, I don't care if LP is "supercool". Such judgments are for shallow people and I don't care what shallow people think.

We'd have to wait 20 years for the style to be retro and then maybe LP can re-debut it then.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

You're absolutely right on that one. I guess I was just thinking of bands that are popular in my hometown. But I completely forgot about Green Day, Muse, and the Foo.

Tweak

Tweak Well-Known Member

When A Thousand Suns came out i overheard strangers talk about it on several changes. Like just sitting on the train or at University i'd overhear little reviews of A Thousand Suns by people just talking with there friends. Most of the comments i heard was that it was different but still awesome. People seem very modest about how much they like Linkin Park. I find it so stange. Maybe because since i'm 20 i hangout with other 20 year olds. Whenever i look through someones iPod they always have a couple LP songs though.

In Australia at least Linkin Park and The Foo Fighters seem to be the biggest bands in the world. Green Day is big but not quite as frequently on the radio.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

They may not be as popular now as they were ten years ago ... but they're doing a good job maintaining a solid fanbase at the moment just the same, in my opinion, and also balancing that with making music which they find artistically fulfilling. Most people prefer certain albums to others but they're still fans so long as they consider themselves such.

Zara19

Zara19 Member

Very well said. Music popularity changes I think Linkin Park have done remarkabley well to be able to fill the arenas they played in 2003, 2008 and 2010 on their UK tours at least, as well as headline Download festival for each touring cycle also, meanwhile other bands popularity rise and fall.

Vdalem

Vdalem Purrfect! LPA Super VIP

*shrugs* Dang if I know.

shok15

shok15 The unforgettable sound

biggest band right now.

funny fact:
    they deserve to be THAT big.:rastamike:

DaMU

DaMU Well-Known Member

I guess they're popular. Their albums keep selling well. Nobody I know cares much for them. I live in Los Angeles though, and the music scene here is much more skewed toward finding up-and-comers and new sounds. I don't think people here are necessarily close-minded, but they're certainly looking for things that Linkin Park doesn't represent. LP is status quo, populist, so pervasive that they feel like a brand name, and that's not a valuable currency here.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I mean, personally I don't give a shit how big they are as long as they keep making music. I mean I do want the band to do good for them to be able to make a living, which I know is getting harder and harder for artists. But at this moment, poularity really doesn't affect us as fans so I couldn't care less

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

Yeah they're definitely less popular than they were. They used to be a really good 'weightroom band' , but they been hittin us with all this soft stuff lately (which is ok i guess). I hope they drop a classic next, because I think ATS will go on to be one of those albums thats really admired in retrospect by the fans that missed it or fans who come with new releases.

Kind of wonderin why Mike doesn't do another album. I randomly checked the iTunes reviews today and they were like Uber high...just seems like it could have been a bigger movement along with LP I guess.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I remember Mike saying that he wants to focus more on LP and bringing that energy to LP's song writing.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Mike personally said during the 1live interview last year that he didn't need Fort Minor anymore, so it's pretty much safe to assume that we won't be getting another one, like ever. :lol:

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

And, the reason he started FM to begin with was because the band had a much narrower definition of what constituted Linkin Park music back in 2004. Now that he has artistic freedom in LP, it's no surprise that he feels like he doesn't need to go to FM to express the music he wants to make. The music he wants to make can now be put back into LP. And that allows him to make music without putting LP in hiatus.

I loved FM a ton, don't get me wrong, but it makes so much more sense for him to move on now.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Let's move on, come back to life like the light of the dawn...

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Well that's bad news, Fort Minor kicked the shit out of every rap-heavy song he's done since then.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I really can't disagree with this. Except WTCFM. Though it's not his rapping that makes the song so fucking great.

iNuBBiN

iNuBBiN Well-Known Member

Everyone has heard and listened to Linkin Park..... They are everyones Guilty Pleasure.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE0N5-eDlAg
    I know that this is a MTV thing but it kinda shows how big the band use to be. Ranking #6 of best bands in only 4 years

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.