Lou Reed & Metallica new album

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Shikshak, Jun 18, 2011.

Shikshak

Shikshak Well-Known Member

It was an improbable match: Lou Reed's cutting-monotone voice and explicit stories of desire and despair, lashed to Metallica's apocalyptic charge. It is now a perfect fit. In a recent rapid series of sessions at Metallica's studio north of San Francisco, the New York king of avant-rock and the world's bestselling thrash-metal band have recorded a new studio album together that is unlike any either artist has made before. The record, not yet titled, features 10 songs composed by Reed with significant arrangement contributions by the band that suggest a raging union of his 1973 noir classic, Berlin, and Metallica's '86 crusher, Master of Puppets.

"A marriage made in heaven," Reed says in his first interview about the project, in the studio lounge during a break. "I knew it from the first day we played together: 'Oh, man, this is perfection, right in front of me.' "

Metallica's Hammett Preps for Big Four 'Thrash Reunion'

"I don't think we've ever felt this free," Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich says, sitting next to Reed on a couch. "There's nothing that's totally outside of the boundary for us, nothing that feels like 'Oh, what happens if we go there?' The strength of us" – he gestures at Reed – "is it feels like we cannot land on a wrong place."

"They're bringing Metallica, with all that power," Reed confirms. "And because they're pretty sophisticated, wherever I go, they're still with me."

Reed and Metallica first played together in October 2009, at the 25th Anniversary Rock and Roll Hall of Fame concerts in New York. Ulrich, singer-guitarist James Hetfield, guitarist Kirk Hammett and bassist Robert Trujillo backed Reed on two of his classic songs. "We knew from then," Reed says, "that we were made for each other." He and the band first planned to cut an album of his older material, "fallen jewels that no one remembered," as Reed puts it. That changed a week before Reed showed up at Metallica's studio. He called the band, proposing a record of songs he'd written for Lulu, a theatrical production of stories by the German author Frank Wedekind, directed by Robert Wilson and currently running in Berlin.

Photos: Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax Rock Big 4 Festival

"Lars and I listened to the stuff," Hetfield says of Reed's demos, "and it was like, 'Wow, this is very different.' It was scary at first, because the music was so open. But then I thought, 'This could go anywhere.' " Metallica started writing parts built from vocal rhythms and electronic patterns on the demos.

The result is at once unpredictable and viciously tight. "Pumping Blood" opens with a drone that breaks into a crunching march, goes into speed-metal gear and breaks into free-fall sections – all over seven minutes, cut live in one take. Another track, "Mistress Dread," features Reed singing across a relentless staccato riff played at manic velocity. "It doesn't feel like we're his backup band," Hammett claims. "It feels like we're a different band, in a situation we've never been in before." And, Trujillo notes, "it's making us a better band."

Metallica: Three Decades of Metal Mayhem

Ulrich says the album is "90 percent" finished. But there are no release plans yet. Reed does not have a record deal, and Metallica are no longer on Warner Bros. "We are free to go wherever," Ulrich says. "I'm obviously psyched for people to hear this, in whatever way we feel is right."

Hetfield has one condition. "I told Lou I want to be there when people hear it," he says, grinning. "I want to see their faces."

(Rollingstone.com)

This bizarre collaboration coming...
    I'm interested

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
    ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

Holy shit..

Adam

Adam !!!! LPA Super Member

this is going to be dire.

BlackedOut

BlackedOut Zero

This is going to be awesome, now lets act like St. Anger and Death Magnetic never happened

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

Interesting... though I don't know any songs by Lou apart from the one with the hookers and his song with the Killers.

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

Very interesting combo.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

[video=youtube;DZhnTY_tdeU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZhnTY_tdeU&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Ehhhhhhh, not digging this at all.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

That is bad. Like, Gold Cobra "bad".

Geki

Geki >.

No offense...but that is bad. Not really what I was expecting at all..

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

This is almost has funny as Jack White and ICP. Almost.

Tim

I was pretty sure this was going to be awful, but goddamn. It sucks shit.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
    Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I'm kind of glad and kind of disappointed that the speakers on my computer aren't working.

Disturbedthoughts

Disturbedthoughts *Twitch*

^This, just...this. :lol:

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

This has to be a hoax?

ernieball003

There's Lou Reed's normal tempo and then there's Metallica's normal tempo. Either Lou needs to be faster with a melody or Metallica need to slow down (yeah right) or this will just be one clusterfuck even bigger than the names involved.

Tim

Lou Reed's vocals have always polarized people. The whole "William-Shatner-style spoken word over Loadtallica" thing, however, is just ridiculous.

Dusty

Dusty LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

Um... Yeah... What? :huh:

ernieball003

Lou is Lou and that won't change. I have a bigger problem with "Loadtallica" more than anything.

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

Holy shit, its awful.