Gang Vocals

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Apop, Oct 11, 2011.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

When watching Meeting of A Thousand Suns and an LPTV episode, Mike and Brad talk about "doing something different" like gang vocals, and it seemed like the first time they did this on a song. However, I was listening to Hands Held High and the chorus "Amen" is clearly sung by a group of people, but I can't pick out Chester or Mike's voices. Is this the entire band singing? Was Iridescent really the first time Linkin Park did gang vocals?

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

On Hands Held High there's some distortion or something so I'm guessing they aren't counting that

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
    Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

Does that mean it's just Mike and Chester layered with some effects to make it not sound like just them?

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I'm pretty sure it was all six of them singing in the Refrain. That distortion that Dean is talking about, I'm pretty sure is that all six band member's voices layered a couple of times over to sound like a chior. Not "Gang Vocals" per-se.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
    Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

I was thinking it would have to be somebody or multiple people from the band just because they usually don't include a "Featuring.." on the studio albums, with an exception to Reanimation. Do you think they'll do more with gang vocals and such though? I like the way it adds to the songs, creates a more epic and grander feel. Maybe even Phoenix singing a chorus or two solo? Probably way too early to ask myself these questions considering it could easily be another two years before we hear another record, but it's interesting to think about it. I know on the Making of Minutes to Midnight, Chester talks about how he had urged Mike to sing a song solo since he had been doing harmonies live for years, which definitely applies to Dave. You think he'll have a bigger role on album five?

Hybrid

My opinion with Dave (Phoenix) doing vocals, the band has been pushing themselves out of their comfort zone recently and with that being said, really anything is possible at this point. There was already talk about the new album "polarizing people" and being "stripped down." The band is definately hard at work with the new album. For all we know, their next release was originally slated as a 2012 release. I haven't heard anything differently yet. Chester, I believe, made mention to wanting to release more songs more frequently. Perhaps a new record isn't that far off of the horizon.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

The band challenging themselves is what keeps me so interested in the music. Lyrically, I'm expecting something like we haven't seen before. At the same time, I'd really like to see Phoenix sing solo, especially after each member began doing or playing something different from A Thousand Suns: megaphone, piano, drums Brad; drums Chester; synth Phoenix, etc.

I'd like to believe you about the release, Hybrid, but recent past is disheartening, haha. I do think this one is going to be released in a shorter span than any of the previous records (again, ignoring Hybrid Theory and Reanimation), but the March 2012 deadline seems a little too near for a quality record with perfectionists like Linkin Park.

Hybrid

Whatever they put out in whatever time they put it out, I have full confidence that it will be good whatever it may be. I've been a fan of theirs since before Hybrid Theory made it to stores. Everything they put out, I have liked or grown to like. Their music, their art pieces, everything. I am a "fanboy." Instead of being ashamed by that, I wear it with a badge of honor. That being said, I have no expectations about what the new album should be or sound like. I want them to surprise me. I trust them to.

hybridsoldier1989

hybridsoldier1989 strange things are afoot at the circle k

I hope the new "stripped down, polarizing" album is that way because they have finally gotten rid of Chester.

Mike and Phoenix's voices are way better nowadays anyways. Chester can't nail the songs live anymore either.

Malvar

Malvar Well-Known Member

On the Minutes to Midnight booklet say something like that:
    Lyrics and Vocals by Mike and chester;
    Background Vocals by Brad, Mr, hahn, Phoenix and Rob.
    So, i guess they all sing on HHH.

Hybrid

Wow... I don't think that point about Chester is true. I think Chester is an amazing singer. Getting rid of him is not the intention of the band in my opinion. I think instead of "polarizing," that would be detrimental to what Linkin Park is.

Geki

Geki >.

When I went to see the webster hall performance in theaters in 2007, they showed a making of minutes to midnight that was completely different than the one included on the DVD that came with the purchase of MTM. Mike explained that the chorus of Hands Held High was all six members singing together, so that is pretty much gang vocals, just sounds different than Iridescent or The Catalyst, etc. The band has done it on MTM and ATS. I really wish someday that making of MTM would see the light of day...it explained so much about the making of the songs...stuff like how WID was made by Mike in just one night and how the party noise in the background of BIO was created, and how Chester originally wanted to scream longer than 18 seconds on Given Up, and stuff like that. It was really cool.

Hybrid

So are "gang vocals" now the same as a "choir effect?"

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

No. Gang vocals are when a group of people shout along to the lyrics of the song. It's completely different then singing it as if you were in a choir (Hands Held High).

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Not to get snobby, but are they really gang vocals if it's just multiple people singing together? I've always associated gang vocals with metal and hardcore bands. You know, bunch of dudes screaming in a booth (cue "Metal by Numbers" video).

Ah, Derek beat me to it.

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

gang vocals are meant to sound exactly like a small group of people singing the same stuff, so I'm totally gonna say nah

edit: 2 people beat me to it

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

I didn't realize there were so many different types of vocals and ways to describe them, shows how much I know about actually recording music, haha. :sweating: But at the same time, whatever the name or title of the effect being done, I think that extra element of the whole band singing together adds something unique to the song.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

It is already happening. Pay Yo Respektz. :lol:

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

I keep hearing about this Pay Yo Respektz, it's times like these that I wish I was a member of LPU..

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

If you can find it I would love to see it. lmao I'm one of those fans who feels like if they don't take part in every little thing I've let the band down and now if I don't see this version I will be bug me til I die. . . sad I know XD