LPA Monthly Mix-Up October: Dance Pop/Dance-Hop/Electro-Pop

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Oct 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

As promised in our "Winners" post for the LPA Monthly Mix-Up Acoustic Cover competition, today we are announcing the next theme for our LPAsssociation.com Monthly Mix-Up. For this month we have decided to bring the competition back to remixes, while also introducing a theme that is fun as it is unexpected...

[​IMG]

OCTOBER

But first, for those who don't know...

What Is the LPA Monthly Mix-Up?

LPA Monthly Mix-Up is a new and ambitious concept intended to showcase the massive amount of musical talent currently unheard among the Linkin Park fan community. Every month, we here at the LPA will be challenging fans to compete and show off their musical skills, using any and all tools available to them to create their entry. At the conclusion of each competition period, our staff will then go through each entry submitted, and pick our absolute favorite to be featured on the site as the "Winner Of The Month" with the next round of competition starting the moment the winner from the previous month is chosen. To promote fairness, runner ups will also be shown, but only one Linkin Park fan will walk away with the honor of being featured as the "Monthly Winner"

So, How Does It Work? (Official Rules)
    In order to make the contest more interesting and more challenging for those who enter, every month we will be posting a theme that all entrants are required to abide by to be considered for feature on the site. There will be no limitations on key, BPM or length (so go ahead and make a 10 minute entry!), but each submission MUST adhere to the genre (or genres) provided by us to be eligible for the competition.

Users must submit their entry as a reply to the this thread, and may use SoundCloud or YouTube to host their works. All SoundCloud submissions must feature THIS GRAPHIC as the album art, and likewise all YouTube videos must contain the aforementioned graphic in some format with the words "LPASSOCIATION.COM Monthly Mix-Up Entry:" appearing somewhere within the video/soundcloud upload title. This is done to help spread word about the monthly competitions so that more submissions can be made possible.

[Note: Including the above graphic in your submission (as either soundcloud album art, or somewhere in your youtube video) is a requirement. Failure to do so will make your entry unable to be considered in the competition]

The Linkin Park Association will NOT be providing links to legit instrumentals/multitracks at this time (due to licensing/copyright restrictions), so it is the sole responsibility of the entrants to obtain the files needed to create their entries. It is possible (and very easy) to find these tracks via a search in Google, however; to protect ourselves we will not be hosting these files until we one day hopefully receive permission from Warner Brothers to do so.

How Can I Enter?
    Easy! Just upload your submission to Soundcloud/YouTube following the rules above, and submit it via a reply to this thread. One month from today's date (November 18th, 2011) we will go through every submission and pick our favorite(s) for feature on the front page of the LPA. We encourage everyone to submit their entries (regardless of technical/musical/vocal proficiency) as we really would like this project to become something that every fan feels welcome to become involved in. The staff here all agree that the music community for Linkin Park has for the most part (apart from official competitions) gone completely unnoticed, and this is our way of giving attention to fans out there looking to get their talents heard!

Now That We Have That Out Of The Way...
    Our official theme for the month of OCTOBER is:

Dance Pop/Dance-Hop/Electro-Pop

Dance-pop
    is dance-oriented pop music that developed from post-disco, that features pounding dance club upbeats with catchy melodies and songs influenced more by pop song structure than they are by pure dance music. Developed by artists like Rick Astley and Kylie Minoque in the 1980s, the genre has slowly gained popularity, becoming a mainstay of pop music well into the 21st century. The genre has recently been reinvented as "Dance-Hop", a style of which is used frequently by duo LMFAO on their latest album "Sorry For Party Rocking". Synth-Pop (or Electro-Pop), while similar to Dance Pop is a sub-genre of popular music in which the synthesizer is the dominant musical instrument. Much like Dance-Pop, this genre was made popular during the 80s with bands like Duran Duran, Human League, and Kraftwerk but has seen a recent resurgence in popularity through artists like La Roux and Owl City.

For the remainder of the month of October and until November 18th, we are challenging YOU the fans to create your own Dance Pop, Dance-Hop or Electro-pop reinterpretation of Linkin Park's music. Feel free to remix any Linkin Park song you like (even The Catalyst if you cannot find other acapellas) and do what's necessary to create the best remix possible.

Extra kudos will be given to contest entrants who pick unconventional LP songs to reinterpret. The easy route to take is to take a song that's already pop-leaning and remix it into a dance-pop song, but we encourage participants to really showcase their talents by reinterpreting a song in a way never heard before. The more creative and unconventional the entries are, the better!

Good luck! Now start remixing!

JKHC

JKHC Active Member

I've just been rick-roll'd.:)

Congratz to the Sept winners, really enjoyed the iridescent cover.

First thing that came to mind for dance-pop was points of authority. I'll probably attempt that song this month.​

Derek

We had to do a Rick Roll, we just had to :lol:. But honestly, whether or not you want to make it 80s sounding, or modern like LMFAO, the beauty of this month is that it's up to you. As long as it fits one of the genres listed above, its fine :D.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Pretty pumped about this one. Still such a lazy ass, though. I'll just let Best Asian Ever take it down again.

Edit: And out of curiosity, do you need to use LP vocal tracks? Or can you do the vocals yourself while making a remix instrumental? Not sure how I'd get vocals for some songs.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
    Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

Ohhhh I'm so in! This is my genre. I love Dubstep but that was out of my element.

Derek

The songs by LP of which acapellas exist out there are: Bleed It Out, The Messenger, The Catalyst, Burning In The Skies, Blackout, Crawling, Numb, In The End, Somewhere I Belong, Waiting For The End, Wretches and Kings, Given Up, What I've Done and H!Vltg3 to name a few. Most of these are multitracks from Rockband, but they can all be found in Google with a quick search. :p

Good, cause you almost won the first month...I feel you'd be a serious threat this month ;).

Jake

Jake Give me reason

Electro-pop... :awesome:

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Electro-pop? Can I just submit the original Robot Boy? :lol:

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Just add some sound effects, and hope you're the only entrant.

Derek

You COULD do that and I can guarantee you won't win if you do :lol:. The point is to take a song that's unexpected and make it Dance Pop. Not take a pop song with pop leanings and make it more pop. That's not original at all :lol:.

Yurieff

Yurieff Meow. :3

If figuring out what the BPM of Burning in the skies is was not that hard for a newbie like me , I could give it a try :sleep:

Derek

According to our LPA Wiki, the BPM of BITS is 60 ;).

Yurieff

Yurieff Meow. :3

Thankz yew.

Derek

No problem. Looking forward to your entry!

JKHC

JKHC Active Member

What's weird is that most of the bands you listed (with the exception of owl city and a couple more) have generic synthesized beats. It's gonna be hard to make it dance-pop without changing the lyrics, I mean most of them need to be about girls, alcohol, clubs, cars, money, jewelry or boasting about some irrelevant accomplishment that only mindless, gullible, self-absorbed teenagers would care about. :)

Can't find any a cappella versions of points of authority so I'll try another one. If anyone finds an acappella of points could you please post the link? It would help alot!

EDIT: Are we also judged based on how many pop/electronic elements it has or does it just have to fit the genre and sound good?

Derek

Someone DID rip the channels from DJ Hero (Pts.Of.Athrity) but it isn't a complete acapella, just pieces of lyrics. Obviously we can't link to it, but a google search might find it.

Also, that's why we had this genre picked. It's going to be very hard to convincingly make an angry song like Given Up sound pop, and thus it's going to be a fun challenge for people this month. As for your last question, it just has to fit the genre. But you can do whatever you need to do to make it more pop (i.e. vocoders, doubling vocals/changing octaves etc).

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Just curious, is there anyway you guys could somehow get permission to host the multilayers? Or have you already tried?

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Hahaha! I love the plug.

Derek

Guarantee you that will always be a no. It'd make these contests much easier, but WBR is very protective over their copyrighted music.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

That's too bad. You'd think they would at least let you host In the End or something, haha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.