Hybrid Theory: 11 years later, it just clicks.

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Schen The Genius, Oct 25, 2011.

Schen The Genius

Schen The Genius Former LPU Mod LPA VIP

and I finally saw how far it reaches the masses.

Here's the thing. The average LP fan knows the albums, knows the songs, knows of the band right?

Recently at work we hired a new employee that I've been training for the past week or so. Most of my coworkers know I have involvement with Linkin park, more or less cause they ask me what kind of things I do and what I'm into and then I tell them, but anyway back to today. Jose and I were cutting up the cardboard out back and I decided to pull out the phone and work to Hybrid Theory since everyone else in Bookface and Twitland had statuses and tweets about the albums 11th anniversary.

About 4 songs in, I asked Jose 'You ever hear any of this?' He thought about it for a minute, picked one out and then said 'ummm not these, I know of Crawling.' I smirked and then he said 'this band, umm Linkin Park?' Woah, no way.

Your probably wondering why it was a bit of a shock to me that he knew Crawling, I wish In the End had come on but Crawling is like what? the 4th/5th best song on the album? Jose is from Puerto Rico, moved to America but had to go back due to an illness that helped him more so there than it would have here. He didn't come back to the US till a little over a year and then got a job with us.

I think the biggest reason I'm so into this is because Jose isn't from America, has spent very little time here, but knows about Linkin Park...from one song. If LP goes all over, to different countries, I can't imagine how awesomely weird that must feel to be recognized so far away from home. I talk to LP fans all over te world all the time on LPU. But..

Meeting a person from a completely different country, in person, that knows very little but recognizes the band, now that's different. You guys need to experience that just once. :)

--RS

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I played this album front to back last week on a long car ride. I can say without hesitation that I still enjoy it. I may try the same thing with Meteora some time but I'm not sure I'll get the same results.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

It's kind of crazy how much of my teenage life, and developmental years I owe to this band. I wont even begin to get started on the effect they had on crafting me into the person I am now, and it's weird to owe so much of yourself to a group of 6 random strangers. I mean let's think about it...I met some of the biggest and most important friends of my life through running The Linkin Park Association. I got my first kiss at a Linkin Park concert, had my first real legitimate girlfriend through a Linkin Park message board, have a wardrobe that's mostly Ve'cel because of free clothing (thanks Chester!), started bass guitar because I wanted to learn Dave's bass lines and I probably got my first job thanks to my work and responsibilities on the LPA. The list goes on, and it's all because some band from Southern California challenged the status quo 11 years ago.

Having the band know me on first name basis, just makes it all the more bizarre for me. Who would've thought 10 years ago starting this site, that Linkin Park would EVER see it, and much less know who I am when they have over 100 million fans worldwide. It's hard for me to fathom, or get used to...even now. I've been criticized over the years for always getting too excited for the site when we get a shoutout, but really it's only because....well put yourself in my shoes, if you were a 15 year old kid from a small town back in 2001, would you have ever imagined that your favorite band would know who you are 10 years from then and that your tiny cjb.net fansite would bloom into a huge .com website?

Thanks Linkin Park, it's strange to admit this...but if it wasn't for your music, my life would've gone down a totally different path. I owe a lot to you guys.

Geki

Geki >.

Perfectly put. I owe my life to these guys. They helped me become who I am today, pretty much everything about me and I love LP for it. I remember back in like 2002-2005 I was going through some really rough times and LP helped me a lot, and they have each year I have grown as well.

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

Hybrid Theory will never get old IMO. :)

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Much like Derek said, it's strange, but, this band has both changed and saved my life. I don't even want to think about what my life would have been like if I never got into this band.

Dusty

Dusty LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

I also I owe a lot to Linkin Park for Hybrid Theory. I don't have much I can say other then thank you Linkin Park for releasing Hybrid Theory all those years ago and changing the course of my life for the better. :awesome:

LP13413

LP13413 Linkin Park fan

This.

This.

This.

This.

And this.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Lp has helped me through a lot of shit man. It is weird to say, but they mean a fucking lot to me. Its crazy to say but these guys are one the most important things in my life

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
    Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

I legitimately think I'm the only Linkin Park fan that doesn't have any sort of emotional experience with relating to any Linkin Park lyrics and just liked them because of how they sounded.

But 11 years later I still like the album. So there's that.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

lol they were my go to when I was pretty far down in the dumps

DaMU

DaMU Well-Known Member

They were the first band I really responded to on my own. Up to then, I listened to whatever was nearby. LP was the first one I actively seeked out, and they were my "entry point" into exploring music. LP introduced me to others bands through their tours, then through their collaborations, and through those bands, my interests radiated further and further outward. Just one example. Shinoda's killer remix of "Enjoy the Silence" led me to Depeche Mode, whom I now love, and when I read that Gahan was aping Bowie, that led me to David Bowie, who is also incredible.

HT's still pretty good, but I see the pattern a little too clearly now. It feels calibrated and relatively safe. I think part of the reason it was so popular is that it distilled the nu-metal formula into its safest and most easily digestible form possible. This isn't necessarily a criticism, but I am relieved that they've become more experimental in recent years.

LP13413

LP13413 Linkin Park fan

Given the time period Hybrid Theory came from, pop music was diminishing and I think people were just looking for a new sound to latch themselves to, and that's when the nü metal wave hit. Some people have said that Linkin Park was one of the only bands at the time that knew how to fuse rap and rock properly without it sounding like a clusterfuck of gibberish.

From the band's standpoint, it was a great starting point to their career. Having a crazy successful debut and a really strong sophomore followup solidified a strong fan base. The next challenge was moving on from the nü metal scene and taking the LP sound to the next level, and with six different, intelligent minds in one band, they've been able to evolve their sound into something that they're happy with, and a sound that a lot of the original fan base is satisfied with.

As for me, I myself was just coming from the pop era and I really loved the singles (OSC, Crawling, In The End) that kept getting airplay on Kiss-FM. Gradually I started listening more to K-Rock and classic stations. With the evolution of LP's sound, my taste in music has broadened extraordinarily, and also, with their change in direction over the years, I've learned (especially with the kind of music I listen to) to keep an open mind.

cradle

cradle Foreword LPA VIP

In the memory you will find me as running out the darkness holding me tightly until the sun rises up.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

As much as I loved Hybrid Theory back then, I just can't get into it the way I used to, because of the way they changed their sound, it makes me want more of what they are doing now, versus what they did then. That doesn't mean I don't love it anymore though. I still give it a spin at times.

I definitely owe them a lot for them getting me through the past 7+ years though. A lot of my childhood/teenage years were filled with too much grief to handle, and without them as an outlet, I could have possibly done something regrettable.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
    Star Scream

Star Scream Does A Machine Like You Ever Experience Fear

i only knew LP for a few years i really wish i knew LP when HT came out, that would be awesome to see them progress