5 albums that changed your life

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Erica, Oct 26, 2011.

Dusty

Dusty LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

Top 5 Albums That Changed My Life (In Random Order)

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Killswitch Engage - The End Of Heartache

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

Skillet - Comatose

Honorable Mentions

Linkin Park - A Thousand Suns

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon

Skillet - Awake

Icon For Hire - Scripted

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

wow lmao that was kind of an epic way to do that. And isn't "random order" kind of oxi-moronic XD

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Yeah, totally. It's just music.

:huh:

9798776.jpg

Dusty

Dusty LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

Maybe... :rolleyes:

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Just because you can doesn't mean you should though. :thumbsup:

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

1. Linkin Park & Jay-Z: Collision Course-Yes, seriously. I started mashing songs together after listening to this, then sampling beats, then finally making my own.
    2. TobyMac: Momentum-I listened to this on repeat on repeat on repeat on repeat when i was in elementary and middle school. The layers of funk this dude has are insane, and his message is great.
    3. Linkin Park: Hybrid Theory-not much to be said here. Had this on repeat on repeat on repeat as well. Love the layers and production, love the meshing of styles.
    4. Blink 182: Untitled-just spoke to me more than any record has thus far.
    5. Kanye West: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy-The Onion Man, king of layers, tracks on tracks on tracks, the album is just so dense and high quality, wanna be like this dude.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

1. Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory: Same as the rest of you. Got me into music, showed me what music can do when you're down, how it can be fun when you're up and opened my ears to a whole lot of other music. I still love this album.
    2. NIN - The Fragile: Taught me that music is art, and that a soundscape can be so much more powerful than a riff, or that a solo doesn't have to be fast to be amazing (ie. the solo on The Fragile)
    3. NIN - The Downward Spiral: I sit through that album, even know, and I get scared I'm going to kill myself. That album is the biggest head trip in the world, and is probably the most powerful album I've ever heard emotionally. More than anything, Trent makes the listener feel.
    4. The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness: It's an album about growing up, that represents growing up better than anything else I know. And I heard it while growing up. Simple enough.
    5. Midnight Oil - Diesel And Dust: The Great Space. It's an aboriginal term for the silence out in the bush or desert, and the band took that silence and the small sounds and the sound of nature, the sound of a country, and turned it into rock music. It's one of the top 5 albums ever by anyone, in my opinion. This should be up there with The Beatles and Michael Jacksons work.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I'm just saying genre is another way to classify and stereotype...

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

^^ Stereotype? Everything about music is on the surface so sticking it in a genre doesn't really matter once you've heard it. Genres make it easier to sort/find/talk about music. Genres rule.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

So you put it well when you said "sticking it in a genre doesn't really matter once you've heard it." I agree with this. The problem is that when you haven't heard something and you are told what genre it fits into. Then you have a prejudged notion about what you are going to hear. I'm just saying that people get genres wrong a lot and perhaps that's my biggest issue with sticking music in genres. In my opinion, it's not always fair to the song and/or artist.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
    Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

Minutes to Midnight is not pop rock.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

[​IMG]

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

:lol:

ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

Black Sabbath- We Sold Our Soul For Rock N' Roll
    Nirvana- In Utero
    Linkin Park- Hybrid Theory
    Slipknot- Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses
    Gorillaz- Demon Days

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

01 :: Linkin Park // Hybrid Theory
    02 :: Green Day // Dookie
    03 :: The Killers // Hot Fuss
    04 :: Jimmy Eat World // Futures
    05 :: My Chemical Romance // The Black Parade

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Linkin Park - Meteora (my introduction to LP)
    Fort Minor - Rising Tied
    Immortal Technique - Revolutionary Vol 2
    Lupe Fiasco - Food & Liquor/The Cool (can't decide)
    Copywrite - The High Exhaulted

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Backstreet Boys - Backstreet's Back (No I'm not kidding. This is what got me into music back when I was 7/8 years old)
    Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory (My introduction to rock music, and Linkin Park when I was 13. I was 3 years late for it though.)
    Pendulum - Immersion (This got me hugely into electronic music)
    Fort Minor - (Got me to actually love hip hop)
    Killswitch Engage - As Daylight Dies (I was huge into this band for a long time, up until their latest self titled album which I think kinda really sucks, and this is what got me hugely into metalcore music as a whole.)

Bradyoactiv

Bradyoactiv The world is your Cloyster LPA VIP

I wouldn't really be able to describe how these albums changed my life and do it justice so I'll just list them:

Avenged Sevenfold - Waking The Fallen
    Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo I'm Burning Star 4, Volume 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness
    Family Force 5 - Business Up Front, Party In The Back
    Nirvana - Nevermind

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

wait, so a Linkin Park album changed everyone's life except Jordan & I? Not a knock on the band or anything, all Hybrid Theory did for me was make me a fan, then Meteora made me a bigger fan (for some reason) and I seeked out a message board so that I could discuss LP. And here we are.

Nine Inch Nails is on a lot of people's lists too, that's good to see. Just stating a few little random tidbits of info, looking at people's lists. It's interesting. I wish we had some older members, I'm curious as to what albums changed their lives.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Pretty much the same story as mostly everyone else: This is the album that for all intents and purposes got me into music. No, Hybrid Theory doesn't hold up for me like the other albums on this list. However, I'd be lying if I denied the influence it had on me, for better or for worse.

The Dillinger Escape Plan - Miss Machine
    Killswitch Engage's Alive or Just Breathing turned me on to extreme metal and hardcore, but Miss Machine changed the way I looked at heavy music and has had a more lasting impact on my musical taste.

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
    The album that showed me good songwriting trumps musicianship and studio wizardry any day of the week.

Radiohead - OK Computer
    I'd casually admired Radiohead for years, but they didn't have any significant impact on my life until I gave OK Computer a thorough listen 5 or 6 years ago. I was deep in my metal phase back then, so tuneful, melodic music was a revelation of sorts, and even though I still enjoy heavy music, melody is what I naturally gravitate towards. This album made me aware of that instinct. A lot of people give these guys shit for being difficult and/or self-indulgent, but strong melodies are the real foundation of most of their songs, especially on OK Computer.

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    Sgt. Pepper's is just a simple case of being my first in-depth exposure to a band that ended up meaning a lot to me.