2012 Vote

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Erica, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

Delusion even more so.

2. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I can give all the proof in the world and it doesn't matter here. I relate it to religious debates. Except those people actually have reasons for believing in religion since you can't prove a nonexistent thing doesn't exist. In political debates there are actually facts.

While we're talking about truth, here's the best Facebook group for intellectual economic/political talk and current events updates: https://www.facebook.com/pages/I-be...re-fans-than-John-Maynard-Keynes/367822059871

There's no trolling or immature posters, so it's a good place for actual debates.

Edit: Here's a post from one of the mods

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  3. sotrix

sotrix @lplive

Here an article that chronicle what happens in a district when parents and the school are are left to their own devices.

Source: Mother Jones

4. travz21

Ok, first of all, just because I want parents telling the schools how to educate their children doesn't mean that I think they should be able to ignore the law. For example, if parents want their kids to be molested by faculty during lunch, that won't happen. For a more relevant example, if the parents want gay children to be discriminated against at school, that won't happen. Our country still works under a system of laws.

Secondly, I don't see how that article is a result of parents and schools having complete control, because that's factually not the case since there is still a Department of Education.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  5. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

You stop the jabs at people calling them deluded and brainwashed and what have you and I'll stop making fun of your views/calling you out for it, and then maybe we can engage each other in a proper discussion at some point. Deal?

6. travz21

I've been trying to stop it for awhile now. I can't remember which thread I said I'd try to civilly debate from now on. Too many political threads to keep track of.

7. Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

Ditto.

8. hybridsoldier1989

hybridsoldier1989 strange things are afoot at the circle k

I've never been a third party kinda guy, but I think I am going to vote for somebody besides the Repub or Dem next year. I have to do more research, but I am tired of the same old clowns. I'm not giving my vote to either party. Nobody can get shit done. I'm tired of partisan politics. Neither party will compromise. The two party system is flawed. Outdated. As fuck.

9. SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

I mean the only flaw with that plan is (and it is unfortunate because otherwise I'm totally with you) that that makes your vote essentially meaningless.

10. travz21

Voting for someone you don't believe in is a meaningless vote. This is one of the reasons we're in this bipartisan mess.

11. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I think it's only pointless because people think of it as pointless. If you want to vote for a third party you may as well, at worst it's about 10 minutes out of your day and at best it might actually achieve something. Be the change you want to see and all that.

12. SuperDude526

Yeah, but again, the bipartisan system is so deeply entrenched that the vote is basically wasted. Who was the last third party candidate to win a state/what year?

Edit: I should say does anyone know who it was and in what year?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  13. Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

1968 - George Wallace. A bunch of racists in the south voted for him and he won a few states.

14. travz21

Ross Perot won 18.9% of the popular vote in 1992 running as Independent. At one point in June before the election he was leading the polls at 39%, versus 31% for Bush and 25% for Clinton. I believe he's been the most successful third party candidate.

15. SuperDude526

But he didn't win even a single state. I hate to say it, but the only part third parties play in elections these days is stealing votes from one of the two main ones, like the Green Party did to the Democrats in 2000 and the Tea Party did to the Republicans in the midterm elections of 2010.

16. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

All the Tea Party is are extremist Republicans, though. It hurt "the establishment right", but at the end of the day they more or less were the same party. Just crazier.

17. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I doubt there will be some seismic shift in the direction the U.S. is heading if Romney wins the election instead of Obama. So, voting for a fringe candidate can't really hurt, as far as I'm concerned.

18. travz21

Romney will be the same as Obama. Cain might destroy everything. Everything he says sounds like it's from his puppet master and he has no idea what any of it means. Obama will slowly destroy everything because congress thankfully isn't letting him do it all at once.

But all of those are better than McCain would have been. I still can't believe that man one the GOP last election. He's an old man with no knowledge of anything but war, and his foreign policy is the worst of all time. He wanted to stay in Iraq for 100 years lol. His economic understanding is like a 5th grader. And not to mention Palin as his running mate.

The way our government is setup right now, it can attract the most corrupt people in the world instead of people that want to help this nation and actually know what they're doing. This is the problem with the bipartisan system. When there's only 2 choices, the odds of picking someone destructive is much higher than if it were 10 or more. The corrupt wouldn't have a very easy time winning if there were more competition. They couldn't keep up the facade necessary to fool people when there are better candidates. But if there are only 2 parties, they don't need to do a whole lot to make people like them over the other.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  19. sotrix

sotrix @lplive

Vote Ron Paul 2012 because not all children should survive middle school. Let the free community - parents and schools - decide which kids have to off themselves.

Vote Ron Paul 2012 because the 2008 collapse was caused by too much regulation. Let the job creators at Goldman Sachs restore prosperity throughout America.

Vote GOP 2012 because fuck 'em, let the sick and poor die.

20. travz21

Haha. I don't think those are very educated statements. Seems pretty emotional instead.