LPA Monthly Mix-Up November: Mashups

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

As promised in our "Winners" post for the LPA Monthly Mix-Up Dance-Pop competition, today we are announcing the next theme for our LPAssociation.com Monthly Mix-Up. For this month we have decided to pay homage to Linkin Park's groundbreaking mash-up album Collision Course (which was released 7 years ago this month), by introducing a highly requested theme....

[​IMG]

NOVEMBER

But first, for those who don't know...

What Is the LPA Monthly Mix-Up?

LPA Monthly Mix-Up is a new and ambitious concept intended to showcase the massive amount of musical talent currently unheard among the Linkin Park fan community. Every month, we here at the LPA will be challenging fans to compete and show off their musical skills, using any and all tools available to them to create their entry. At the conclusion of each competition period, our staff will then go through each entry submitted, and pick our absolute favorite to be featured on the site as the "Winner Of The Month" with the next round of competition starting the moment the winner from the previous month is chosen. To promote fairness, runner ups will also be shown, but only one Linkin Park fan will walk away with the honor of being featured as the "Monthly Winner"

So, How Does It Work? (Official Rules)
    In order to make the contest more interesting and more challenging for those who enter, every month we will be posting a theme that all entrants are required to abide by to be considered for feature on the site. There will be no limitations on key, BPM or length (so go ahead and make a 10 minute entry!), but each submission MUST adhere to the genre (or genres) provided by us to be eligible for the competition.

Users must submit their entry as a reply to the this thread, and may use SoundCloud or YouTube to host their works. All SoundCloud submissions must feature THIS GRAPHIC as the album art, and likewise all YouTube videos must contain the aforementioned graphic in some format with the words "LPASSOCIATION.COM Monthly Mix-Up Entry:" appearing somewhere within the video/soundcloud upload title. This is done to help spread word about the monthly competitions so that more submissions can be made possible.

[Note: Including the above graphic in your submission (as either soundcloud album art, or somewhere in your youtube video) is a requirement. Failure to do so will make your entry unable to be considered in the competition. ALSO IF YOU USE SOUNDCLOUD, PLEASE ENABLE DOWNLOADS OF YOUR TRACK AS WELL AS EMBEDDING.]

The Linkin Park Association will NOT be providing links to legit instrumentals/multitracks at this time (due to licensing/copyright restrictions), so it is the sole responsibility of the entrants to obtain the files needed to create their entries. It is possible (and very easy) to find these tracks via a search in Google, however; to protect ourselves we will not be hosting these files until we one day hopefully receive permission from Warner Brothers to do so.

How Can I Enter?
    Easy! Just upload your submission to Soundcloud/YouTube following the rules above, and submit it via a reply to this thread. One month from today's date (November 18th, 2011) we will go through every submission and pick our favorite(s) for feature on the front page of the LPA. We encourage everyone to submit their entries (regardless of technical/musical/vocal proficiency) as we really would like this project to become something that every fan feels welcome to become involved in. The staff here all agree that the music community for Linkin Park has for the most part (apart from official competitions) gone completely unnoticed, and this is our way of giving attention to fans out there looking to get their talents heard!

ENTRIES CLOSED. NO MORE SUBMISSIONS/FIXES!

Now That We Have That Out Of The Way...
    Our official theme for the month of NOVEMBER is:

MASHUPS

Made popular in the early 2000's by club DJs and radio DJs alike, Mashups refer to a style of music where songs by two or more artists are combined together to create a new song, often producing amazing (or at times humorous) results. Recognized by Linkin Park on their Collision Course record back in 2004 with Jay-Z, we are doing mashups this month not only to pay homage to Collision Course but also to open up this month to a much broader audience.

AUDIO EXAMPLE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3P4w3CAo5k

For the remainder of the month of November and until December 19th, we are challenging YOU the fans to create your own mashup of Linkin Park's music. You may mash up ANY artist you prefer with Linkin Park, and are not limited to just one artist. Feel free to mash up several if you like. All we ask is that you bring your creativity, as due to the larger amount of entries we will be carefully listening to each remix to find the BEST of the best. Kudos will be given to anyone who breaks the mold and creates a completely unexpected submission, or who does more than just the standard "vocals over another song's pre-existing instrumental".

Also since we are allowing other artists to be used, we assume no legal responsibility for any copyrights that may be violated as a result of using artists other than Linkin Park. This competition is intended for entertainment purposes only, and we do not condone the downloading of music on our website. Please support the artists and buy their records.

Extra kudos will be given to contest entrants who pick unconventional LP songs to reinterpret. The easy route to take is to take two songs that were already mashed up before, and redo it, but we encourage participants to really showcase their talents by putting together songs we would've never pictured together before. The more creative and unconventional the entries are, the better!

NOTE: After this month is over, we will be taking a small two week break, where we will restart the competition on the FIRST of January, with January's theme yet to be announced. While this will mean that December does not have a competition, we are doing this to allow the competitions to start on the 1st of the month (beginning in 2012) rather than the middle of the month itself.

Good luck! Now start remixing!

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Derek, only if you could enter, New Divide + Never Gunan Give You Up would kill everything. :lol:

I'll have to try this one out.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

oh can't wait :p

Derek

Check out the "AUDIO EXAMPLE" in the post :trollface:.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Haha! Awesome! :awesome:

JKHC

JKHC Active Member

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

There's instrumental albums out there for Muse's Absolution and The Resistance releases.....just saying.....I would love whoever pulled that off forever.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Hmmm. Tons and tons of awesome instrumental music out there to put some LP over. Might throw together something real quick later this month.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I'll see what I can work on over the month. I like experimenting with mash-ups, so let's see what happens. ^_^

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Empty Spaces/Foreword Mashup!

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Are we limited to mashing up existing recordings, or would re-recording parts of songs be acceptable? A lot of my mashup ideas consist of ideas where I go "gee, this vocal would sound great over this song, but there's one chord that needs to be changed from major to minor to make it work," and other stuff like that where the easiest solution would be to just re-record the part in question myself rather than spend a bunch of time trying to fiddle with it.

I suppose the whole idea of a "mashup" is that you have to make two or more existing recordings work together though, so if you want us to stick with that, that's fine with me.

Pat

Pat LPA VIP LPA VIP

Derek

We encourage people to pull a Collision Course (editing parts slightly to combine the songs) so if you need to change a chord or two, be our guest. Collision Course is underrated in the fact that it approached Mash-Ups like a remix album, instead of just layering vocals over an instrumental, so do what you need! Can't wait to hear!

Pat

Pat LPA VIP LPA VIP

This post belongs to me? x/
    My english is horrible...

BTW. are we allowed to take Fort Minor Vocals instead of LP Vocals?

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

Good Luck Everyone. :)

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

No Fort Minor, unless you're mashing up LP with FM.

RUS-UAE

RUS-UAE Member

Paolo

Paolo Well-Known Member

OMG Derek did you make that New Divide / Never gonna give you up mashup? :D

Derek

I made everything on that account :).

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I'm started working on mine last night. Still quite a bit of work that needs to be done though.

EDIT: As I said it's still needs work, but here is a preview to give you guys some kind of idea of what I am working on. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsvWcBn5b84

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.