Rolling In The Deep Cover

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Gloomy Mushroom, Jan 11, 2012.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

It doesn't change the meaning all that much, but it's "you're gonna wish you, never had met me" and "I'll lay your ship bare"

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

From Wikipedia:
    And since I've already expected everyone to go scream "BUT WIKIPEDIA IS BULLSHIT", here's the source Wikipedia used: http://www.calgarysun.com/entertainment/music/2011/03/10/17569906.html

You're welcome.

Woops. I knew it was "met" but put hurt for some reason, makes no sense. Always thought she said "shit" though so thanks for that.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

I'm surprised the LP cover was received as well as it was. Even today LP have a reputation as a "whining bitch" band and Rolling at it's peak was literally everywhere and everyone was gushing over it. I was surprised even people who normally shit on the Park were saying they enjoyed it.

I liked the LPU live version better though.

Derek

I think that Linkin Park are becoming more mature and respected as a band as their career goes on, to be honest (which could explain why RITD was so well received). And that's not just a biased fan talking either :lol:.

A lot of people I know who aren't fans of the band, and insist on shitting on them and calling them "the worst band ever" (which is a joke considering you could find a lot worse out there), actually respected A Thousand Suns. Some said it was "decent"/"not bad", and one of my friends actually really enjoyed Waiting For The End.

Linkin Park's worst mistake was making Meteora a carbon copy of Hybrid Theory (and in many ways twice as angsty). It crafted this notion that all Linkin Park songs sound the same, and that Linkin Park can't be creative to save their life. None of which is true, as evidenced by parts of MTM and all of A Thousand Suns. Had Linkin Park started their 'creative journey' with Meteora instead of waiting a full album later, I think the whole public perception of them would've been far better. Sure their fanbase wouldn't have been as big (as Meteora brought on a shitload of fans), but I'm sure the band would've been respected a lot more inbetween the time from Hybrid Theory to now. They just have to keep being creative now. The public only remembers the latest thing you've put out, so if the band keeps evolving...I think they could redeem the damage Meteora did to their image.

Again, I'm a fan of Linkin Park, but even I know cloning Hybrid Theory was a big mistake.

Maunsbach

Maunsbach Member

I love both. Equally. In each their separate way. :)

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Thanks for the source of that story Derek. I still think she's exaggerating a bit about the creation of the song, but who really gives a shit, it's such an awesome song :)

Btw I'm kinda glad they made Meteora. I admit it's bad, but I enjoyed it a lot when it came out.

Blackee Dammet

Meteora wasn't that bad if you consider it certainly extended their old HT fame and creeped in the newer elements they wanted to use later on. They just didn't do it anywhere near as much as they probably should have, and waited too long to then really take it further.

What's bad on Meteora is a is a weak Hybrid copy, but stuff like Faint and Lying From You are just as good, if not a little better, than any Hybrid theory song.

Derek

I'll reluctantly admit that. Faint and LFY were the "Hybrid Theory Formula" at it's greatest. Those two songs were some of the best out of that 'sound'.

Still I wish Meteora would've broken the mold a little more. Had all the songs been as good as Faint/LFY we could've had a masterpiece.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

Fanboi. :lol:

CAW-Project

CAW-Project Member

I don't know which version of LPs ritd you relate to, but if you've watched the iTunes Festival, which is partly available there? during this concert they screwed up a few songs and definitely the WHOLE version of ritd. Chester was in the wrong key and it's not the right key for him at all (my oppinion). it sounds like he tortures him with the high notes.

there's no doubt that Chester is an extraordinary singer (Adele too). but this wasn't his best vocal performance.
    but I like how they tried to do it.

we could be thankful that they did another popular cover, 'cause they are RARE!

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Hearing the rejected demos from Meteora, I blame Don Gilmore. I love Meteora, however, I really enjoy the Demo songs that were supposed to be buried.

19nacho19

19nacho19 Banned

I would like to hear Adele covering "One step closer" from LP XD, imagine her with a rasping voice screaming "shut up when I'm talking to you" :p!

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

I agree.

I think Nobody's Listening was LP's first attempt at something very different and thats a pretty good song IMO. I just wish that on the album they tried a little bit harder to mix it up a bit instead of the exact same song structure on pretty much every single song.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
    Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I don't think Meteora was the problem. The real problem was waiting 4 years to release Minutes to Midnight after that. Because of that delay, the first 7 years of the band's existence only saw Hybrid Theory, Meteora, and a Jay Z mashup album with songs from those albums. So of course they are going to be labeled as a band that doesn't change their sound. With that said, I really can't blame the band that much for expanding on their sound that made them famous at least one more time. And I still love Collision Course and Fort Minor and we did get M2M/ATS eventually. Because of that, I would say it all worked out in the end except for the band being mislabeled as Nu Metal even to this day.

Blackee Dammet

This.

Derek

Don't get me wrong, certain songs from the "nu metal" era were classics and still haven't lost their punch to this day. What bothers me though, is just that I really can't believe songs like "Halo", "Program", "Soundtrack" etc cause their sound and style is far removed from what we got with Meteora. Sure they still have downtuned distorted guitars/powerchords at parts but a lot of it sounds closer to MTM than it did to Hybrid Theory. It makes me wonder how different Meteora would've been had Rick Rubin produced and not Gilmore.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I just realized this is a thread about the Rolling in the Deep Cover. :lol:

Derek

We're rolling in the thread derailment!

Mario007

Mario007 Well-Known Member

Registered just to post this.

I prefer LP's version thanks to the ending of the song. From the 'Throw your soul' part the way Chester tweaks the melody a bit is a very nice touch and fits the ballad-like theme of the song quite well. The best thing about the cover, however, is the high pitched part at the end where Chester says 'you gonna wish you....you could have had it all.' It's just such a small tweak but adds a lot to the lyrics because it fits much more to the 'you fucked up' theme, pretty much saying that the singer/narrator is going to be ok but the person who hurt them will be the one who will end up with regret.

Also Adele's version is pretty much a bitch song, like posted by Derek, about the breakup and thus up tempo and kinda builds up musically into rage. LP's version is much more of a ballad.

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

WELCOME TO LPA! ;D ENJOY POSTING...