"It's a Good Mix of Old and New" Linkin Park Talk New Album in Kerrang!

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Nor did he suggest you were a sheep. It's just the way your first post was worded, you made it seem that just because your friends hated new Linkin Park, you did too. Clearly that's not the case, but I can see why he got that point of view, and why he said it.

2. Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

No, you don't have to like everything they release, but you don't need to call those who do sheep either. Some of us really think the band is at their best now.

EDIT: Also, what Derek said.

3. Derek

Yeah, I happen to be a fan of about 75-80% of the band's entire catalog, and I am definitely not a sheep.

4. Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

I don't see why Mike's statements are causing so much controversy here. If you really think about it there were elements of "old" LP in ATS. Wretches and Kings and Waiting for the End are two songs that could easily fit onto Reanimation for example. What he's getting at more than anything is that they aren't purposely avoiding certain things that were stereotypical Linkin Park elements. I take this as meaning as they now feel comfortable to simply make music they enjoy and know that if they drop a heavy guitar riff after a quiet intro it's not them using that element of music as a crutch but because they like how it works within the scope of that specific song.

This doesn't mean that they're making HT3 or we should expect a chorus where Chester rhymes heal, feel and real but that, in my opinion at least, Linkin Park is close to ready to fulfilling their potential as a band. Ever since I heard Reanimation I thought their destiny or peak would ultimately be a genre-less outfit that melds multiple style seamlessly. They diverted from that path with Meteora because of pressure to deliver another multi-platinum album and Don Gilmore and with MTM which I think was them trying to prove they they COULD do something different. ATS was LP getting back on track to being that "Reanimation" band.

5. Derek

I really don't mean to reply to every other post in this thread :)lol:) but I really felt it necessary to comment and say that this is one of the best replies in this thread so far. I believe you truly interpreted Mike's quote the best, and I believe this is what Mike was trying to convey...that they're more comfortable with just doing what they want now, regardless if it sounds somewhat like old Linkin Park or not. Brilliantly put.

6. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Everything Derek said, I was going to say. Well put, Derek.

This. Except I happen to like all of the band's catalog. There isn't anything that they put out that I don't like. Call me a fan boy, I wear that badge of honor with pride. :awesome:

7. {L}EcM3311{P}

{L}EcM3311{P} Well-Known Member

There will always be critics, but I'm exhilarated about this old and new style record!! ATS was them continuing to broaden their horizon. They were intentionally not going for their HT sound. This seems like an anything goes album :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  8. A Wretched King

A Wretched King Foreword

because most LP fans are drama queens that love speculation and going haywire when one of the band members says something?

9. Rezanator

Rezanator Well-Known Member

I wouldn't put much stock in what Mike is saying what the album will sound like at this point. Honestly, Mike is not known for being clear when talking about LP albums. It might all make sense in his head because he's in charge of the process, but to the rest of us it's left open to interpretation. This may or may not be done on purpose, but I thought the most interesting bit of info was that the band is comfortable. This to me means that they feel secure and confident enough to revisit the past which may lead to them using some old ideas and presenting them in a brand new and interesting way.

10. Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

Thanks! It was a bit of a long post but I wanted to be sure I articulated my thoughts correctly.

11. BUBBA7012

BUBBA7012 Active Member

SOO STOOOKKEDD!!

12. Yousefelso

Yousefelso Hands Held High

I think it is just as others have mentioned before. Rather than shutting down anything that sounds like the "old LP", they are making music that they like. Whether it be old stuff or new stuff, if they like it they will work with it. ATS is my favourite album, but I would welcome back some of their old sound as a mix with ATS since I like both sounds. There is no way they will make a Hybrid Theory part 3, didn't Chester say he hopes nu metal is dead? I personally hope for the album to sound like a mix of ATS, Hybrid Theory and a little Fort Minor in there. I wish Linkin Park the best of luck to make their best album yet in their own eyes rather than what others think. Hopefully that means a great album that most of us enjoy, and I'm confident that is what we will get.

Side note: At first I though Mike said the album was a mix of perfectionism and utter chaos but I read on and realized he meant the recording process. That's some good work with the title Kerrang!.

13. NotEnoughYetTooMuch

NotEnoughYetTooMuch Well-Known Member

This looks article looks good! It's making me even more excited for the 2012 album! ^-^
    I want to get it from itunes the day it's out.
    Okay guys, Linkin Park HAS matured, out with the formulated. Wait, they use a formula, but the formula is different with each album, after everything they've been through in life, they have matured. they are not kids anymore, they have their own kids now. I'm only 14, but still, think about it.
    With Hybrid Theory they wanted to have a unique sound.
    Now this is just the way I see it, no need to hate, but your opinion is welcome:
    they didn't want to just make it Rap/Rock, they were not the first people to do it and they knew that, they just wanted this Rap/Rock album to be special, not just another load of 'I HATE MY PARENTS/ WAS BULLIED AND I DO DRUGS SO I'M A BAD ASS METAL RAPPER.' shit. No crap like that was presented in HT, there was allot of different emotional and social situations presented in it. This is just my opinion, Crawling seems to be made fun of often for the cli'che lyrics "CRAWLING IN MY SKIN! THESE WOUNDS THEY WILL NOT HEAL!"
    But if you think about it, they arn't really a demonstration of shallow teenaged angst.
    Chester said it was about his addiction, that feeling of little bugs crawling underneath the skin caused by the drug, meth?
    He also said it was about insecurity and learning to face it, he said that he didn't direct it at anyone by saying you, only saying I or me, knowing I'm the reason I feel this sort of way.
    'These wounds they will not heal"
    I don't take it literal, they made the lyrics vague because they wanted to appeal to allot of different people from all sorts of ethnical and social backgrounds. That's why when you see concert footage or concerts on TV, you can't really say there is a stereotypical linkin park fan, I've seen allot of online forums where people say how they can relate to hybrid theory, and there are so many different opinions and feelings about the album. This is just one song and so many people can relate to it for a variety of reasons, that's why I don't think I'll ever get bored of this album even by the time I die of old age.

In meteora, they said they wanted to creat what they were seeing musicaly, I guess that's their reason for the artistic photography and graffiti, and at least to me, you could hear the art. They wanted that album to sound epic, and they said that meteora, the rock thing, was epic, so they decided on that as the album title, but were still doing metal type stuff.
    In Minutes to midnight, I believe Rick Rubin had told them that people didn't want to hear Nu metal anymore, and they had went with the alternative rock stuff, :sigh: I like it, I would like to hear it again, but I love rock allot, I love that album I listen to it all the time, it's a great album I listen to it over and over again, I listen to shadow of the day all the time, because It's beautiful and it always makes me feel better dispite any mood I'm in, I love all music and have respect for all artists because if it has rythem, melody, and a beat, then it is real music, you don't even need lyrics for it to be song, and when you write the lyrics it's like your giving your diary and intimate thoughts out for people to hear and give opinions or flame on it as they freely wish. Hostile comments at any artist is a nasty thing to do, it takes balls to do what the people involved in making music do. So I always look at music ready to make my own critical opinion, but I always keep an open mind. I'm not one of those Old park, new park fans, but I see so many comments on that. I love every song on that album. Dispite my comment on 'not being true to yourself' it's not a strong opinion of mine at all, they were being true to themselves, chester said metal/hip hop isn't all that we do, it's a part of what we do but that isn't all that we are.
    Not only that but they've always been an experimental band.
    Come ATS and they wanted to make something that was very different, something not everyone would like, Chester said he would rather people either love it or hate it than just be okay with it, and in my opinion 'being okay with a song or album' is very boring. You want to be an artist, not an entertainer, as an artist you want to offend people and be daring right?
    Chester had said that hey wanted to make something that made you feel like you were on drugs while listening to it, mike said that they wanted to create an album, not just singles like everyone else wanted because they grew up on albums. (how is this selling out?) They said hey were making a concept album, made to be listened to from beging to end, that it was just artistic expression with no real goal in mind, so there was the political side of it with qoutes and samples from very important and famous people, but there was the artistic side, with the automatic writing they tried with this album.

So point being I cannot wait for this album, and the article sounds great because they already went to extreams with past albums, all very different, because they didn't want to be labled into a certian genre, and they didn't want to be this band that did the same stuff over and over again, but when I read old stuff about a thousand suns, like the fact that they didn't use anything that sounded like hybrid theory, they didn't use it, didn't want anything like it, if it sounded like hybrid theory in any way shape or form they left it, and I didn't think that was bad, but no really great, just another little sigh for me. They went and changed each time they wrote a new album to extreams, extreams like black and white, but there are so many colours, I want to be an artist when I grow up too, I told myself I would write each album different and experimental, but when I see my favorite artists I want to be like them, but after going to extreams I told myself I would do things in between wacky extreams, because there are so many colours, an endless spectrum of artistic ways to look at everything in the world. Now it looks to me like even though they are in a way returning to the style they came out with in the begining, they are also moving foreward, you guys seem to be worried about an album like hybrid theory meets a thousand suns, I on the other hand, cannot wait! I like social themes better than political things anyways, even if it doesn't turn out how they say here, or how I expect, being shocked by the album is great too, they're good at that. which is why I can't get bored of this music they make. REALLY REALLY EXCIETED!!

Oh. And sorry it was so damn long.

14. Doris The Spider

Doris The Spider Who-ligan

I was worried about the new album because I thought it would be too different but this makes me excited!

15. Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jesus, give LP fans a quote and they'll give you a 100 page thesis. :lol:

16. Geki

Geki >.

Pretty awesome interview!!! I can't wait for this album. Mix of their old sound/new sound? Pretty bad ass. I'm just happy that it won't be a repeat of ATS, that it's something different. I don't expect music like that from HT/Meteora, but some MTM sounding tracks would be kick ass.

17. Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

I'm just glad that LP has new music (hopefully) around the corner. I've literally grown up with this band. I was 14 when Hybrid Theory came out and I've never loved an album as much as I did when I first listened to it on Christmas day after I ripped it out of it's packaging. I'm 25 now and they just gave me what was is still one of my current favorite albums and (in my opinion) the 2nd best rock album of 2010 after Arcade Fire's Suburbs.

I'm stoked about this upcoming album. My anticipation is building up similarly to when I was thinking about Meteora dropping because ATS truly made me believe that they would be the great band I envisioned them to be. Meteora was cool for a bit but after the initial excitement I realized it was something of a HT remake and MTM, while it had it's bright moments (In Pieces, LTGYA, Bleed it Out, LOATR) didn't FEEL like Linkin Park and felt choppy.

People are arguing about what styles they want to dominate the new record when the initial purpose of Hybrid Theory (the band and album) was being all styles and no styles simultaneously. I'm genuinely expecting to piece together all the best things they've learned from 1999 (HTEP) to today and put forth their best work. And one day we'll look back at Linkin Park's HT and M beginnings how people look at the Beatles early, poppy work with fondness of a young band being in that place musically instead of it being something ashamed of or longing for a return to that style.

Sorry for another long post!

18. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I lol'd at the guys saying that including elements from their old sound would be a step backwards, and that it wouldn't be creative. If I'm getting it right, they should put boundaries in their music , to be sure to not sound like old Linkin Park, right?

The problem is....putting boundaries in the process of making new music, this is something totally UN-creative.

19. Arun1910

Arun1910 Well-Known Member

Tbh we are all linkin park fans whether we like EVERYTHING or just the Hybrid era or the ATS one. Everyone here wouldnt be here if they didnt have faith and trust LP so let bygones be bygones

20. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

My thoughts exactly since 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.