Kony 2012

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Brandon, Mar 7, 2012.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

This just sounds like, "Oh yeah, well there's this person nobody knows about, let me tell you about them to make you feel even worse." Like the hipster of activism.

I could do that too, you know. Pol Pot was the dictator of Cambodia who basically committed genocide in my home country and was SUPPORTED by the US Government, but I don't think many people were taught in school that the US supported genocide.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

:rolleyes:

--------------------------------------

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/

http://www.foreignaffairs.com/artic...-vlassenroot/obama-takes-on-the-lra?page=show
    http://www.wrongingrights.com/2009/03/worst-idea-ever.html
    http://chrisblattman.com/2009/03/04/visible-children/

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
    Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

My question is: What the hell do people get out of shitting all over people's excitement for an awareness campaign about a terrible man that millions of people didn't know about two days ago? What good could possibly come of that?

It's almost as if criticizing and denouncing the KONY 2012 movement has become more trendy than actually supporting it.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

I apologize for posting the other side to a story that everyone seems to care about. You may edit my post if you see fit, but I won't be removing that article or any of the links on my own.

Mark

Who said anything about removing what you posted?

But what's your end-game? I honestly want to know the reason for why you, and the rest of the people determined to see this movement crumble, feel the need to do so. What's in it for you?

The people behind KONY aren't sinister, hooded fellows in a dimly-lit room saying "Excellent, excellent" while they rub their hands together and watch dollars roll in on a giant screen. They're trying to effect positive change and bring forth awareness to a cause many people are ignorant of. The fact millions of people woke up today knowing who Kony is already makes this project an irrefutable success.

Also, try to answer my questions without the usual condescension and sarcasm. Leads to more productive conversation.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

From what I've been reading, most people aren't criticizing Invisible Children's intentions so much as they're criticizing their operation. I agree that the fact that we're even talking about this is a positive thing, but it's important to consider the other side of the story.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

I'm good, the article I posted says everything that I want to say. It's a noble effort/cause, but the behind the scenes of this organization seems.... um, quite shady to say the least. If I'm proven wrong, that's cool. I don't mind being wrong. I don't really care one way or another, I was just posting an article I found. I didn't realize every response in this thread had to be 100% pro-Invisible Children.

This is akin to me posting a hypothetical article on, say, Newt Gingrich, about his cheating on his MS afflicted wife, in a non-existent pro-Newt Gingrich thread. Yeah, it's a bad story in a thread that's meant to be a positive one about a particular subject, but people need to know both sides of stories/people. I know, comparing this thread to one about Newt (or whatever) is dumb, but hopefully you get my drift.

Mark

Seems to me like we've got a bunch of wannabe financial analysts looking at a few balance sheets and forming their inferences without the full story or explanation.

Also, from what I remember in the video, the campaign is advocating for further US government support in Uganda. "Military intervention", as hyperbolically suggested in the above smear article, implies aggressive tactics. The US has sent a group of consultants, not soldiers, into Uganda to support operations designed to capture Kony. They're not running in there with machine guns and fighter jets. One of the main messages is that if pressure is not kept up on US government officials, they will cease these support operations.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Some of those articles date back to 2006. This doesn't sound like some knee-jerk criticism made just to shit on everyone's parade.

Mark

The article that dates back to 2006 provides a different perspective of the then-current state of Uganda. I accept that. It's entirely likely IC is stretching the truth to make the message more urgent.

My real qualm with all of this negativity is the inference IC has ulterior motives other than effecting positive change, and why anyone would set out to try and rain on THAT parade.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Ah. I see. I was thoroughly confused, because, like I said, I'd never even heard of this guy before, and now he's all my friends are talking about on Facebook.

In a way, it's sort of annoying, because they're all going on about how we need to be "citizens of the world" and all this other shit, when two days ago, THEY didn't even know who he was either.

Either way, I think people need to be much more informed on the subject. But that's just me.

Mark

This entire project dates back to at least 2006. The latest video was uploaded just days ago, but their efforts (visiting college campuses, making videos) have been going on for years. You're only hearing about it now because this video went seriously viral.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

The real test, Will, is going to be months from now. If they are still having a fire under their ass about the subjet or not. If it is forgotten, that's when things will be annoying. I didn't know about this guy until this morning, but I think the video did a great job on informing the audience about a cause. You are right, however, research is the key when deciding what cause to get behind.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Oh. I see. Well, there you have it—people do need to be much more informed; myself included. If this has been going on for this long and no one's really caught wind of it until these past few days, then people need to start looking into it more and doing their due diligence in regards to the campaign itself.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

The reason I posted this, and why I like it so much, is not because I necessarily support some organization. It's the idea behind it, the fact that in the span of 2 days a sick, twisted individual who has committed atrocities for years can have a light shined on him by millions of people. That was the "justice" I meant in the OP.

In the video, the guy says "this is an experiment" because it is. The U.S. has already helped with this situation. The experiment is whether or not the internet and technology can help expose a madmen to the average citizen. The experiment has been a wild success. Now, hopefully with everyone's eyes on this, the U.S. will continue to provide support in the form of strategists.

Our country spends so much time, money, technology, and military lives in the middle east. And they claim it's because we have a moral duty to oppressed people. Really? Is that the reason? Good, then you should have no problems continuing to provide small, intelligence support to the Ugandans fighting/searching for Kony.

Even though I personally take a Ron Paul-esque stance on foreign affairs, I was really glad to learn that Obama did send help to Uganda. At least he's staying consistent with his message.

Amanda

Amanda RIP Chester LPA Super VIP

Please take this video that's been spreading like wildfire with a grain of salt.
    - LRA has not been active since 2006. Joseph Kony has been in hiding and do not have any significant forces since UPDF killed most of them back in 2005.
    - Invisible Children Inc has very suspicious financial sheets, and little to no transparency.
    - Reportedly, less than 50% of donated funds actually gets used.
    - 20 year conflicts are common in Uganda. Just go look up IDP camps.
    - Uganda has a significantly bigger corruption problem than someone in hiding. Aid/funds are often stolen and nobody knows about it. Nobody seems to realize they're sending money to an unknown land?
    - Uganda's biggest problem is not Kony, who's been hiding for years. It's that almost the entire country runs on Foreign aid. Uganda needs help making money. Uganda does not have a self sustaining economy, thus no jobs, no future, nothing for the kids to work towards because the whole country just runs on foreign aid, which mostly goes into the government's pocket.
    - I appreciate the video, it's great and it's very motivating but I feel like there's some agenda here besides what they tell you in the video.

Star Scream

Star Scream Does A Machine Like You Ever Experience Fear

what i heard about joseph kony is absolutely disgusting.... screw diplomatic solutions send him jail for life!!!

Mark

Source?

Your point?

What do you suggest InvisibleChildren does with the millions of dollars people voluntarily donate? Fly to Uganda and start handing out bills to random people? Seems to me like they're using it to renovate schools, provide rehabilitation, and develop social programs.

This is not just about Uganda. It's about Kony, whose army is in three other countries:

The only agenda I see is trying to create awareness to capture a despicable human and stop him from harming more people.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Please don't support military involvement for solving another country's problem(s). If you feel strongly about helping another country, donate your time and money to the cause, and encourage others to do the same. Even go over there if you are really into making a difference.

By supporting US government involvement in something that has nothing to do with the defense of the US means that you support forcing every tax payer to "help" against their will through paying taxes for the expenditure. Yes, it's messed up if someone doesn't want to stop madness like this, but forcing them to help out is wrong.

The government is not the answer to solve moral dilemmas. A moral society is the answer.

Anyways, I'll be donating and asking my friends and family to as well.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Wow, all of a sudden everybody's an expert on Uganda..