"BURN IT DOWN" Released In Full On Linkin Park's Official Site | Available on iTunes

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denny

Denny @Jackethx

Today is the day. Monday 16th April 2012. Linkin Park day.

As you all probably know, I’ve been a huge Linkin Park fan for years, and I participate in the forums on the Linkin Park Association, never missing a beat when it comes to Linkin Park news.

So, knowing that today we would be treated with not only a brand new single but the artwork for Living Things, the new album, and tour dates and track listing made me a very excitable person.

I woke up this morning and checked the LPA website to be greeted with the new album art (more about that later) and a lyrics video for Burn It Down.

The first thing that wowed me about Burn It Down was how superb Chester’s voice was. The melancholy lyrics were complemented with a sombre and delicate harmonic vocal assault from Chester. I dare say it was beautiful.

Whilst the verses have depth in their lyrics;

And you were there at the turn,

Waiting to let me know

Which is similar to the lyrical style of A Thousand Suns the chorus is very simple and reminds me and countless other LPA members of Hybrid Theory / Meteora lyrics.

And of course, we have Mike’s rap. Whilst some may argue that his rap breaks the pace of the song slightly, I think it is awesome. End of.

However amazing the vocals and lyrics may be, I can;t help but thinking I;ve heard the music before - but not by Linkin Park.

Unfortunately, and others may agree or disagree with me, the music sounds rather ‘top fourty pop’, like it could fit on anyones album and not be out of place. However, you could argue this about Leave Out All The Rest, The Messenger, Iridescent and countless other songs that have a ‘pop’ sound, but have a traditional Linkin Park stamp put on them by Mike and Chester.

In conclusion, Burn It Down is a really slick up-beat song that is really catchy, and a safe single, but it isn’t anything I’ve heard before. Is that a bad thing? Of course not! But I want to see Linkin Park push the boat out with the other songs on their new record.

Now, on to Living Things.

I personally love the name of this album. It suggests that this new music is alive, or some may even argue that Linkin Park themselves are a ‘living thing’ - constantly evolving; changing; adapting.

And the album art is simply sublime.

Who exactly is that charred figure emerging from the white ‘skin’? I guess it is open to your interpretation, but I feel that this symbolizes that Linkin Park have broken from a ‘mold’ and are comfortable in their own skin.

All I can say is - count me very excited for the 26th of June!

- Jack

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  2. Rosh

Rosh Well-Known Member

I mentioned this twice...

3. Xerosnake90

Xerosnake90 Active Member

At first the lyrics didn't mean much to me. Now that I read them over, I understand the meaning behind them. Once again LP, you just know how to find things I can relate to. Fucking amazing.

4. Sam Strandt

Sam Strandt Member

Chester pulls it out the bag again....Such a good vocal performance from him! Loving the song, cant wait for the end of June!

5. Storm

Storm Well-Known Member

Ops... :p
    Maybe I read too fast.

6. Tweak

Tweak Well-Known Member

That is my only problem with a lot of early LP was the vocal affects. I perfer the clean vocals of the newer albums over the distorted, echoed vocals of HT and Meteora. That said, Breaking the Habit is my favorite LP song and it is heavily distorted and honestly i wouldn't have it any other way.

7. Xerosnake90

I gotta post again. I'm just enjoying this song so much right now. It's bringing back the excitement I get for new LP and seeing them in concert and what not. This makes me want the new album so much! Going to pre-order as soon as It's available.

8. skazka

skazka Insieme Per La Vittoria

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

9. Promofrog

Promofrog Banned

Agreed Jack, it's a good track but LP are capable of something much more original, this is not Linkin Park's sound, it is Lady Gaga's.. with a couple of 808 sounds to tell you it's Mike.

10. Dissociative

Dissociative Well-Known Member

Not a very good song. Manufactured pop garbage void of any genuine emotion. Dull lyrics, obligatory copy-and-paste rap verse, underwhelming Garage band beat.

I have hope for the rest of the album though, hearing that it'll be "darker and more personal."

11. YoMarques

YoMarques Linkin Park Soldier. LPUer.

Awesome song. Loving the contrast between Chester and Mike. Chester's voice is awesome, Mike's part is badass!

12. Xerosnake90

After listening a few more times, I kind of have an idea behind the song.

The first verse of chester singing is from his standpoint as the person who's trying to understand the problem he's having with another person. Could be relationship in terms of close friendship or love. Whatever you like. Person 1 is looking for something person 2 is not giving them.

Building it up to burn it down is basically working to fix the problems, and reaching a peak. However, fully aware that the cycle that destroyed them will repeat itself. At this point, they know this will happen, waiting for it.

Second verse seems to be from the standpoint of the other person, explaining their confusing in the problem that person 1 believes person 2 is causing. Though person two realizes that it's something that they can't fix in order to fit the other person... They can't give person 1 what they need.

Mike's part comes back to person one speaking of how he/she is upset due to how much he invested in that person. He feels resentment because of how it ended. Person 1 was lied to, whether intentionally or not. Second verse suggests person 2 has some remorse for bringing things as far as they did. Person 1, by the end of the song, has moved on from most of their confusion and sorrow they may have felt. Feeling resentment and wanting to make person 2 see the mistakes they've made.

13. shwcobb

shwcobb 持ち上げて 解き放して

*claps* You're actually right as far as I'm concerned.

14. Eliot227

Eliot227 Well-Known Member

OR you could see the whole song (chester's parts especially) as a metaphor for their musical process, and the processes they've gone through building up and breaking down their image until it finally reached its breaking point, evolving into LIVING THINGS.

"The cycle repeated"
    "The colors conflicted"

And now, they're burning it all to the ground with a new evolution of their music.

15. Xerosnake90

Absolutely. Much like other lyrics LP has come up with, they can be taken in various ways. The entire song could be a metaphor for two different point of views conflicting. Whether it's a relationship, genres of music, etc.

16. maclieberman

maclieberman Just caught in the undertow..

oh my god! Now i can go to work in a happy mood...this song is amazing...absolutely amazing!

17. Niklas

Niklas BadaBinge LPA VIP

sick Tune. love it. now gimme the Album!

18. SKaRR*oKi

SKaRR*oKi Everything.Falls.Apart

if they had the drum beat that plays behind chester before the last chorus, this song would have been just that bit better. and if when mike rapped the second time, he used different lyrics.

having said that.. THIS SONG IS AMAZING!!! i dont care if its generic or basic or boring or whatever anyone wants to say about it, the fact is this song has been LinkinParkified, and that makes any song 100 times better :)

19. Rebel Traj

Rebel Traj Well-Known Member

I like this song, it´s not too special but as a lead single, fine.

It gets better after listening to it a few times, but I don´t find this song as amazing as The Catalyst, for example.

There´s no powerfull explosion in this song like almost every other Linkin Park song which keeps their songs exciting, and not boring.

It sounds very pop´ish and mainstream, ofcourse it´s their first single and I have very high hopes for the rest of the songs of the album.

But for the rest, I don´t really see what others find amazingly good in this song, and put it in the list of ´top 3´ songs of Linkin Park.

I do believe this will probably be their most radio-friendly song of the album Living Things and I have very high hopes the album will be their best album made.

Chester said they chose this song for the very high energy and also probably the mainstream sound. I bet the rest of the songs will be different and that I'll love the album.

20. Jack_Farrell

Jack_Farrell KTTK is Chester suicide-diving off a cliff naked

The verse lyrics are siiiiiiiiiiick. Though I still feel something is missing from this song. It's kind of like In Between, has the option to explode and never does.

"Caught in the burning glow" THAT SHIT IS FUCKING GOOD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.