Who can be called as LP's "competitor"?

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by RapidGunner, Apr 19, 2012.

RapidGunner

RapidGunner The Catalyst

Every "Oasis" has a "Blur", every "Radiohead" has a "Muse", and every "U2" has a "Coldplay"...
    In such a case, every "Linkin Park" has a "_____"?
    What I'm asking is, which band can be considered as an equal/competitor of LP in the current music scene? ;)

NOTE - This is just a fun question, asked out of boredom. I'm not trying to pick up fights with fans of other bands.. :)

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Back in the day I would've say limp bizkit or papa roach but these they're kind of on their own

shinformant

shinformant Banned

At this point I would put them in the same sort of bracket as bands like Coldplay and Elbow, in terms of the kind of music they make.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

I'd agree with this, but more recently it could be safe to put Linkin Park in the same category as Coldplay. So LP has Coldplay, or Coldplay has LP depending on how you look at it.

mastae

mastae Some Honky

It's weird to think of Coldplay as LP's competitor because I always saw Keane as Coldplay's competitor (and I think Keane is way better...)

The Prisoner

The Prisoner ...O...

only in terms of creativity (for me) Muse and Thrice.
    IMO those three bands have similar approaches of making music.

Jack_Farrell

Jack_Farrell KTTK is Chester suicide-diving off a cliff naked

Sorry, U2 to Coldplay? lol.

Linkin Park has no competition. No one can pull off their combination of styles like them. Whether people like them or not is a different thing.

Traditional rock/metal bands don't compare to them. Papa Roach, Three Days Grace, are traditional rock bands. Guitar, bass, drums and nothing else.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I agree with the statement the most, especially Thrice. Their first couple albums were punk, straight up, and then they went a completely different (and better) direction. Vheissu is one of my top favorite albums of all time, and I think it's the best work Thrice has done.

As far as genre goes (because I think that's where this thread was going), no one really compares to LP (right now) and their pretty much on their own plateau, in my opinion.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I'd say Linkin Park, Coldplay, and Muse could be considered "competitors."

Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

With the current LP, I would say bands like Pendulum, Hadouken and Innerpartysystem are competitors as they have to blend rock and electronic influences.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Disagree with Muse and Radiohead being competitors. Some people say they sound alike but their career trajectories are very different, and also happened 5-10 years away from each other. Same with U2 and Coldplay, actually. Oasis and Blur are the only real usable duo of your list.

Linkin Park used to compete with the likes of Good Charlotte, My Chemical Romance, Green Day, Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach and Creed in the early-mid 2000s for radio airplay. Nowadays, like Xero21 said, it's Coldplay, Muse, and Foo Fighters.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Thrice. But the Park is a far, faaaaaaaaar lesser Thrice.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I'm sorry but your list is way far off. Lp is nowhere near as emo as GD and MCR. Green day is pop punk. And creed has nowhere near the aggressiveness. Even back in the day Lp was closer to Muse than any of those bands

Mark

for radio airplay.

Not genre.

I'm well aware of the musical differences between those bands.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Sorry, you didn't really specify

Mark

Yes I did, by saying "for radio airplay" in my original post. You quoted it!

You didn't really read.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

That so, Rambo?

(edit)
    Mark beat me. :lol:

Star Scream

Star Scream Does A Machine Like You Ever Experience Fear

Linkin park does not have any competition. no band until now had the balls to change their style more than linkin park has. even if there are bands that have, linkin park have had the most success because the music they want is what they get. another thing i want to add also is that i find that linkin park are being ahead of the music industry in general cause hybrid theory for example is still heard by teens today and when those teens get older more than likely their musical taste will change in to a mature type of music, that's when M2M, ATS and soon to come LT come to place. so for now linkin park are being different than their previous genres but it's for the best. back to the question if Linkin park have any competitors, in my opinion no (of course i respect other peoples objections to what i just said :awesome:)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
    RapidGunner

RapidGunner The Catalyst

Firstly,thanks for the answers guys! ;)

And btw, I was asking about competition in terms of GENRE (the "sound" of the band), NOT sales or radio airplay. Sorry for not making that clear.

In terms of genre, the first few albums of Muse and Radiohead can be interchanged with each other and no one will notice. Try listening to Muse's "Unintended" with eyes closed and tell me you are not listening to Radiohead!

As for Coldplay and U2, both of them use huge choruses, delay guitar effects, anthemic but meaningful/deep lyrics and the occasional experimentation.. The "new" sound of U2 (since "All That You Can't Leave Behind") is pretty similar to that of Coldplay's "new" sound ("Viva La Vida" onwards). For a "blind test", I'd suggest "Major Minus" from Coldplay.. I initially thought it was a U2 cover, they're that similar! :D

As for my original question, I'd somewhat agree that the closest answer MAY be Coldplay or Muse. Songs like "Iridescent" and the second part of "Blackout", do sound like Coldplay, and the heavy low-end in "Burn it Down" reminds me of Muse songs like "Uprising" and "Supermassive Black Hole"..

Sorry for the LONG post! :p

Mark

I think "competition" is the wrong word to use here. "Competition" implies something that is happening currently. You can't have competition between two bands that achieved their peaks in different eras, where one band is no longer very relevant compared to the other.

Considering the career peaks of Muse vs. Radiohead, they're not competing in any meaningful way. I even disagree with drawing similarities between the bands sounds, as is often done by people who haven't heard much of Muse's music. That sort of comparison would have been apt back in 2000 when Showbiz came out in the midst of Radiohead's popularity (which could explain your "Unintended" mention), but listening to Muse's catalog since then shows a stark difference from Radiohead, most notably in terms of heaviness and tempo. The only notable similarity they bear is that both Thom and Matthew enjoy their falsettos. It's like saying Muse's main competition is Queen because of Matt sounding like Freddy Mercury. :lol: It doesn't translate well.

It's very difficult to say Linkin Park has any current competition in terms of genre because there simply isn't a band out there that closely resembles Linkin Park.

Muse just kicks the crap out of Linkin Park in terms of technical prowess and instrumental talent. You will never see Brad shred like Matt can on "Stockholm Syndrome", "Invincible", "MK Ultra", or "Knight of Cydonia" and you will (likely) never see Mike top Matt's piano playing in "Butterfies and Hurricanes". On the other side of the spectrum, you're never going to hear rapping in Muse's music or screaming on par with Chester (although Matt's work on the song "Showbiz" is spine-tingling). Linkin Park's best asset is their ability to write catchy rock songs. Two very different bands aside from the fact they both get play on rock radio, which inevitably brings us back to radio airplay, which is what this thread apparently is not about.

I could go through the same analysis with Coldplay but I won't bother since most people can realize the difference between the bands.

I guess in order to say there's a "competition" within a genre, you would have to put Linkin Park in a genre. That in itself is difficult to do. You may want to come up with a new word.