Rolling Stone Chat with Mike Shinoda and Mike Einziger Summary

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Today Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park and Mike Einziger of Incubus took part in a scheduled live chat with fans for Rolling Stone. Below are some of the details from the chat:

- Mike Shinoda broadcasted from home.
    - Mike Einziger broadcasted from the studio.
    - Mike Einziger's favorite Linkin Park song is Wretches & Kings.
    - Mike said he'd been building a library of sounds since he was 16 and part of the drums for Wretches & Kings came from a Roland TR-808 machine.
    - Mike Shinoda's favorite Incubus song is Megalomaniac.
    - Shinoda talks about a time at a friends house when the Incubus album Fungus Amongus was always being played and around the house.
    - Einziger talks about how the process of that album was done, using demos originating from as far back as 1993.
    - In 1993 Mike was making rap demos on a cassette four-track.
    - Incubus worked with Paul Pontius, an A&R executive and had done some work for the Immortal label.
    - Shinoda cites a story involving Paul where they sent him a 4-track demo and he called Linkin Park right back. He then went on to ask Shinoda and Mark wakefield where they recorded the album, and when they answered at home, he was shocked and urged them to start a band. Mike says this is what really pushed the idea to create the band Linkin Park.
    - Einziger loved A Thousand Suns.
    - Shinoda talks about LIVING THINGS and how they naturally want to experiment and get better at what they do.
    - Anchorman reference. Stay classy! Courtesy of Einziger's moustache. :ron:
    - They talk about the video game Halo. Incubus are apparently pretty good, but both bands haven't played in a while.
    - Linkin Park will probably only play 1-2 songs off the new album during the Summer European tour. However they will play a good chunk of the record on the US tour.
    - Fort Minor is not dead, it's just Mike is focusing on other stuff right now.
    - He focuses his Fort Minor energy on current Linkin Park. Citing Wretches & Kings and LIVING THINGS.
    - LIVING THINGS is a bit more rap-centric, so if you like Fort Minor, you'll probably like LIVING THINGS.
    - Joe Hahn is like a narcoleptic and constantly falls asleep. During everything. He would fall asleep during Monday meetings where the band discuss the new album recording progress.
    - Mike Shinoda has no art shows planned.
    - Mike Shinoda is putting all his attention into LIVING THINGS and they're constantly working for the release of that.
    - "Mike is so sexy"
    - Mike Shinoda likes dubstep but doesn't go too deep into it. He likes Skrillex, Datsik, HavocNDeed and Nero.
    - When writing LIVING THINGS in the first couple months, management were trying to help out by suggesting electronic producers, beat-makers and Mike felt that hip-hop groups and collaborative artists may benefit from that, whereas Linkin Park work better creating their own music and then head for a second tier of input and re-mix the songs from there. Mike didn't want to feel like they were jumping on the "electronic-bandwagon" and didn't want to play catch-up with that.
    - Expect electronic, industrial, dubstep and hip-hop remixes from the LIVING THINGS preorder "once a month" remix initiative. This will go on until they run out of remixes, probably early next year.
    - Mike Shinoda jokes that Mike Einziger should do a metal remix of one of their songs.
    - Try The Ketchup Motherfucker! Mike talks about the LPA t-shirt of "Try The Ketchup" and how it's become a meme in the LP Community.
    - Story #1 Mike Shinoda talks about a mishap on stage; They rotate setlists and make changes as they go, they're usually on top of the changes, he talks about one show where they closed the first part of the set with One Step Closer, before that song was In The End. Mike was with the fans on the barricade hyping the next couple songs, trying to get the energy level-up. Mike looks back and the band have "fucking gone!". It was actually time for the encore and Mike walked off by himself after hyping up the crowd and all the band was laughing at him. He felt like an asshole.
    - Story #2 Mike went to a bar in Japan that was located in an alley-way, going inside he finds they have tiny beers. Mike had a lot to drink and passed out because he lost track of how many beers he'd had. He wakes up and Dave or Joe was like, "we have to go", everyone walks out the bar but Mike realizes he's actually alone. He sits on the curb and waits and waits, the next thing he knows he's being woken up by the owner and it's 5am! Mike spent the night sleeping in the alley! The band had actually left him there because the cab that pulled up hidden him from view and the band thought he had already took a cab.
    - Phoenix is good at smashing guitars, Brad on the other hand is very gingerly about it. He cites an instance where Brad tried to smash a guitar at a show but was failing, so Chester ripped it from his hands and went to town on it.
    - Mike talks about Dave Grohl and how he said some years back that he didn't like the band and their live show. Mike said he had a misconception about playing backing tracks and vocal tracks at live shows which Mike said is something they've never done and called the premise "bullshit".
    - Mike also clears up a rumor about Chester having vocal chord surgery. This is not true.
    - Chat ends. Mike has to go because a friend is waiting outside.
    - :ketchup:

Adiek84

Adiek84 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the summary! The chat didn't work for me at all. There was no video and I couldn't type anything in. It always said: "This room doesn't accept chat messages". Did anyone else have this problem? I really wanna know what caused this, so I can avoid it in the future. At least I could hear the sound.
    I hope someone recorded the chat, so I can still see the video.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

:lol:

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

Awesome transcript, Joe! Thanks.

:ketchup:

Yeah, I had the same problem. No idea why that happened though.

RapidGunner

RapidGunner The Catalyst

Awesome summary. Thanks! :D

Excited about Living Things being slightly more "rap-centric".. :)

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

Thank You! :)

I loved Fort Minor so I have a feeling that I will love "LIVING THINGS"

Arun1910

Arun1910 Well-Known Member

Expect electronic, industrial, dubstep and hip-hop remixes from the LIVING THINGS preorder "once a month" remix initiative. This will go on until they run out of remixes, probably early next year.

They did say for the next 8 months

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

wow that was pretty awesome. I'm quite surprised at how in depth it was. All those story's mike told, and the info he dropped about LT. Brilliant stuff!

Adiek84

Same here! My favourite LP songs are always those with a lot of rapping in it, so I'm really stoked for "LIVING THINGS"! Also can't wait for the first remix to arrive. I love remixes, and the LT remix package is almost as attractive for me as the album.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

I kept refreshing and finally I got to see video and be able to chat (< like I got anything from it anyway). Unfortunately the chat itself was a really frustrating experience with all the flooding, and the whole "send your questions with the hashtag #RSChats" was never considered. Not blaming any of the Mike's, they handled pretty awesome the massive amount of spam going on.

At least there were some tiny bits of information there. Thanks very much Joe for the summary.

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Pretty shitty of Dave Grohl to suggest that they don't play anything live.

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

Yeah i know. How long ago was it when he said that?

Adiek84

I've stumbled upon an old interview from 2004 or 2005 with Dave Grohl a while ago, in which he dissed LP and said that they used backing tracks. Dave Grohl tends to talk badly about other bands in interviews. To be honest, I think he's a total douche bag. I still love the Foo Fighters though. Their current album is great.

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Apparently years ago.

Probably during their HT/Meteora era.

Dusty

Dusty LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

Great summery, thanks Joe! I just got more excited for LIVING THINGS and the summer tour! :awesome:

ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

Awesome!Great stories, really sad I missed this. Is there any rip available?

YoMarques

YoMarques Linkin Park Soldier. LPUer.

Great chat!

Ravenor

Ravenor Member

that was a 2005 I think. But it's really surprising that it's being mentioned now when LP is totally different. I don't think Dave Grohl would actually say the same thing now as the band has clearly evolved, even though they are still not a classic rock act and probably won't ever be.

But with all the respect I have for him I got to say he's wrong. Making records as complex as ATS requires a lot of skills and being more of a electro-oriented band doesn't mean they're worse musicians than Foo Fighters.

Dekar

Dekar swimmingsmoke LPA VIP

Me too, but the chat was awesome despite that :cool:

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

- Joe Hahn is like a narcoleptic and constantly falls asleep. During everything. He would fall asleep during Monday meetings where the band discuss the new album recording progress.

:lol:

also I wish Foo fighters and Linkin park didn't hate each other

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.