Reminder: Linkin Park Performing at 2012 Billboard Music Awards Tonight

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, May 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

I remember TIME magazine calling their Catalyst performance boring and saying that the most interesting part of their performance was the view. :lol:

2. EdGreene

EdGreene Well-Known Member

I feel more like Chester just didn't have much time to warm up. Rest of the performance ranged from fine to really good. BID is a hard song to start off with live especially if you have basically just been sitting in the audience for two hours.

3. Rezanator

Rezanator Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to be nit picky at all. Apologies if I came across that way. Chester is free to do whatever he wants on stage as an artist. Same goes for the rest of the band any any musician performing. They should never be restricted to what someone from the outside feels. And that weird dance thing Chester does on some songs works most of the time, but to me it didn't really work for me tonight. Also, I realize that Chester's voice sounded a bit muffled probably due to the mixing there and the band doesn't really have any control over that stuff.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  4. Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

...I don't get it. I'm always one of Chester's biggest critics, and people CONSTANTLY rip on me when I point out occasions where he's struggled with pitch control/singing in general. Then on nights like tonight where I think he sounds just fine, people think he's having trouble. :lol: Chester always sounds "strained" live compared to the studio versions. It's inevitable. It's really not fair to judge a vocalist's live performances by their overall tone, because it's going to be different. I always look at pitch control/breath support/ability to hold notes for their full duration, and Chester sounded just fine in that regard tonight. You want to hear Chester struggling? Go look at some of the early live performances of Crawling from like 2001, then compare that to how he sounds now.

5. Rezanator

@jessiexo

Well there's no doubt that Chester's voice no longer has that strength specially over the course of a long tour and I don't hold that against him nor should anyone. He's still one of the most dynamic lead singers in modern music. The other guys you listed all have the advantage of singing the same kinds of songs, but LP songs are very diverse and require a lot of different styles of singing. Those guys you listed are great in their own ways and have unique talents, but I don't think they can do the things Chester can consistently.

6. jessiexo

jessiexo Well-Known Member

Maybe not all of them but M Shadows can definitely most aspects of it. Smooth singing in ballads, scratchy 3-pitches-in-1 early LP vocals, full on scream, etc.

I just realized I criticize LP around LP fans a lot more than I would to someone else haha. If someone said they did badly I'd probably dive in to defend them xD

7. Rezanator

We're a demanding lot. :)

8. wolflink

wolflink I feel very privileged in debt for my thirst

And youre forgeting that just FKIN yesterday he sang in a full show.
    not even 24 hours to rest his voice/throat.
    The performance was just good.
    I like a lot more the performance at house of blues.

9. Danny LP

Danny LP Member

@jessiexo
    Alright i might be wrong on this one, but i find that the reason the singers you listed are perhaps more comfortable live than chazz is because chester's voice doesnt project that well live. If it projected like Leto, he would be the master of live performance lol

10. lilj4425

lilj4425 Well-Known Member

This guy makes a very valid point.

11. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I think the about the recordings of "Burn It Down" @ the HOB is, you hear a crowd belting out the chorus with Chester

12. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

The performance was really good, but I really feel that the mixing could have been WAY better than what it was.

13. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

It's not even so much that he sounds strained, he sounded great. It was the mixing. The mixing sounded flat and lacked depth, as is the case everytime they perform at one of these things. I guarantee you hearing this same song live at a concert will sound x1000 times better (even if Chester has a bad vocal day) then it ever would on an awards show because award show mixing (even if they use their own FOH engineer) still somehow always sucks regardless of venue. I mean Mike's backing vocals were louder than Chester's main vocals.

The performance itself was fantastic.

14. Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

The mixing sounded just off putting and out of tune.

*throws Joe's iPad out the window*

*watches Vdalem chase after it* :lol:

15. superdupercop

superdupercop Member

Er...sorry but I didn't get to see this performance on tv yet. Cause over here in Portland we're getting this 2 hours late....after what exactly does LP play?

I really really hope I didn't miss it....

16. Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

^ Absolutely that (especially the bolded part). I was watching the awards show with many of you in the shoutbox and I don't know if you remember but when Kelly Clarkson performed I said something like "aww she always makes some weird arrangements to the songs" .. That was from a shitty stream I was watching, and now I just saw the video on YouTube and the performance was damn fine, but it lacked that "punch" and instruments seemed like they drowned when the big choruses broke (both in Kelly and Linkin Park's performances), so it's definitely the mix.

17. minuteforce

They played after Carrie Underwood, I believe

18. superdupercop

superdupercop Member

Thank you, very much. I just saw Bieber...so I think I'm still good.

19. minuteforce

If you do somehow miss it, the footage is readily available online. ;) So don't stress.

20. kelies

kelies Well-Known Member

After reading some comments, I was expecting to be a little disappointed, but I was actually surprised at how well they performed. Chester's vocals always sound strained during tv performances with a few exceptions. The only thing I didn't like was Mike's backup singing, which we can blame for the mixing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.