Reminder: Linkin Park Performing at 2012 Billboard Music Awards Tonight

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, May 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superdupercop

superdupercop Member

Haha I know, but man, this is my first time watching LP on national television....idk there's something about it, you know, watching your favorite band, knowing the rest of the world is too. Know what I mean? Haha

2. KaitoKid

KaitoKid Lyricist

the audio is messed up. It's not only chester sounded dry, also Mike.

Did they bag any award?

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  3. Cure4TheItch

Cure4TheItch I fuck up everything I see, fighting in futility.

Mix wasn't the best, but it still sounded great given the circumstances.

Solid job, LP.

4. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

All things considered, I think they did fine. They always get better at playing the songs as time goes on. The Catalyst wasn't fantastic its first time live either.

However, I will say Chester was a little pitchy during the verses. Nonetheless, considering they had no warmup time, I think they did just fine.

5. superdupercop

superdupercop Member

On the gear front of things, I'm personally ecstatic to see Brad using his traditional PRS Red Soldier on this new song live. It seems like every step of the way, every interview, every show, I'm getting the feeling that Linkin Park are using their old tools to do new things. Using their old things in a new way. That's something that really encourages me, the fact that this time, LP isn't being experimental or new just for the sake of it, but rather doing it systematically to make good music, regardless of what it sounds like. Old or new, they want good material. I like that.

The reason I point this out, is because in Minutes to Midnight and stuff, Brad was using '80s Strats and Teles for no real reason other than the fact that he wanted to ditch the old sounds (I'm not complaining, those guitars sounded beautiful in their respective songs, What I've Done/Given Up), but still.

But the fact that he is using his standard PRS (at least, i think its his Red Soldier, but if not, its some kind of PRS anyway) again now, i think, signifies something bigger than it seems. They really are accepting who they are as Linkin Park, and they're are comfortable with their identity, as Mike has pointed out in their interview. With that said, I'm so stoked for Living Things now!!!!

6. LPHybrid Soldier

LPHybrid Soldier Banned

I said it before and ill say it again and idc how many people hate me for this or what they think of me, I HATED ATS from start to finish i thought it was complete shit, i lstened to it over and over an dover again i couldnt relate to it
    however i still respected LP, i never wanted them to ditch their old sound because it made them who they are today, i wanted them to take that sound and evolve it make it fresh
    and i think this is what they are starting to do, they arent running away from what they use to be anymore, they have embraced it and made it apart of them, and making the old sound, sound fresh
    i am beyond hyped about this album, could it be a let down? sure, could i not like it? it's possible but i doubt it, but it's that time again to ROCK OUT to linkin park.

7. Stino LPLeaks

Stino LPLeaks Well-Known Member

It's NOT Chester's voice, it's the mixing that somehow went wrong. :(

Chester's singing was great!

BTW: did you see that face of Bieber at the end of their performance... I bet he just realised how a great song sounds like!

8. Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

You guys are nuts, I'm sorry. Chester voice is much, much stronger than 10 years ago. This performance wasn't perfect, but it was a good as he's ever done, and the flatness of the mix aside, it was excellent.

But seriously. Anyone kidding themselves that he used to sound better, go listen to some Hybrid Theory era performances and compare. Since MTM he's obviously had some vocal coaching and improved in leaps and bounds.

9. Tweak

Tweak Well-Known Member

Im on the side that Chester's/mike vocals weren't weak but rather the mixing was poor. DID NOT LIKE the poor attempt at echoes on Mikes rapping. BURN IT DOWN i think will translate better to live then studio a bit like One Step Closer (better live in my opinion, come at me).

10. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Would you rather be served food from an experienced and worldly chef who has attained the practice of both the most abysmal AND prestigious in cooking? Or an experienced chef who's been stuck in the practice of one style of cuisine all his life?

In order to be a respectable artist you have to be able to venture off into other territories to expand your own palette. Think of it this way: What if the band needed to venture off into limbo in order to fully realize what they truly love? Often times those who stray away from what they 'love' eventually discover that their true desire lies upon the embrace of what they had once upon a time.

Your opinion of A Thousand Suns, is ridiculous as it is ignorant.

As a collective, the band are overachievers. They wouldn't 'ditch' their old sound in spite.

11. Tweak

Tweak Well-Known Member

The guy never said he hated ATS because he wants Hybrid Theory part III. ATS just didn't resonate with him and now he is getting attacked and called ignorant. Ironic.

12. Rullon

Rullon Active Member

Hey! This is my first post on LPA, but I've been a lurker for a couple of years now. I follow along with the updates on the topics pretty closely, especially this topic tonight.

I just want to chime in to make sure that you guys are voting Linkin Park as the best performance of the night on Billboard.com: http://www.billboard.com/bbma/SunDrop
    The voting ends in a few hours. You can vote multiple times. ;)

13. Stino LPLeaks

Stino LPLeaks Well-Known Member

Done! They have 25 votes from me! :D

14. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

ok.

Just to clarify, I wasn't saying LPHybrid Soldier was yearning for a Hybrid Theory III. The point of my response to him was to illustrate why people move away from what they love; sometimes you have to throw it all away just to see if you really cared that much for it.

15. David Vereker

David Vereker Banned

It's not true that he used to sound better. He is still amazing. Watch the iTunes festival concert in london. One of his best performances ever

16. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

The performance was okay. The mixing wasn't great, as mentioned here already. And Mike messed up the harmonization at the start of verse 2.

17. Rebel Traj

Rebel Traj Well-Known Member

Great performance! Mike a little bit off with the harmonies, the mixing a little shit. But overall a great performance. Chester did a great job!

18. Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Yeah, the mixing on a lot of TV appearances is less than ideal. You always have the broadcast compression fucking with the sound (hence the "flat" sounding mix a lot of people have talked about), and certain aspects were just way off. The synth hook in the intro was way too quiet, the guitar was virtually inaudible, and there was way too much echo on Mike's rap part.

Brad's actually using a plain black PRS on Burn it Down (Burn it Down is in Drop D, he uses the red soldier PRS for songs that are tuned down half a step), probably the same one he uses on Waiting For the End, Given Up, and a couple other tracks. He never completely ditched the PRS's, but he had been favoring Strats more recently, especially on A Thousand Suns. The thing I find odd though, is the guitar on the studio version of BID actually sounds like it was recorded with a Strat. :lol: Not sure what the reasoning is there, but the difference is negligible since the guitar doesn't play a very major role on this particular song.

19. Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

I thought WFTE was a Les Paul? Or that may have been Mike...

20. But his scream just isn't the same :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.