New LIVING THINGS Track Premiering 5.24.12 On BBC Radio 1

Discussion in 'News' started by Jeff, May 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Voitage

Voitage Part-time villain

Hey guys, Just a quick question, When does the share to earn program end? It says July 7th buy.. I don't think thats it haha

2. Fury99

Fury99 4EVER LP

Okay I'm confused about something. Are we still going to get a song from the Share To Earn program, or did we just get it? If we are still going to get a song from Share To Earn, will it be separate from the scavenger hunt or will it be Lies Greed Misery that we got today? If it will be separate from the scavenger hunt, then when are the 10,000 participants going to get it.

3. LPMeteorain

LPMeteorain Guest

I don't see how the chorus lyrics are so bad. I don't think many people expected, when they saw a title of Lies, Greed, Misery, that Chester would separate those three words over three lines of the chorus. I bet many thought (especially when hearing screams were involved) that he would just yell LIES! GREED! MIS-ER-YYYYYY!!! similar to No More Sorrow when he did the same with "Thieves and hypocrites"....I like what he's saying here, "choke on your lies, swallow up your greed"...opposites or combatants to the final words of the line aka the three words of the title...

I'm not sitting here trying to convince you its genius, but I think it's good.

4. jessiexo

jessiexo Well-Known Member

Haha agreed.

It seems like their slower songs are always a little denser in content... I wonder why? Maybe they feel like they can get away with it because fans will be distracted by the screaming.

All I can think of with this song is what Chester once said - (paraphrasing because I don't remember exactly) but it was along the lines of "we can make a terrible song sound realllllly good." Whenever they go heavy, it's like they jump into their 13 year old selves, but heavy songs =/= angsty.

Edit: Slighty worried about Victimized now xD Was secretly hoping it'd be a slightly lighter version of like ATR, Trivium or ABR lyrically.

Edit 2: About song structure -> you don't need ABABCBB to have a nice buildup. So many bands manage a proper climatic moment without that.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  5. Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I don't get the complaint about song structure either. It's really cool LP branched out into different song structures on ATS but a traditional song structure does not a bad song make. The majority of the best albums ever written employ this structure because it works. If LP are using it again, it's in no way a step back, as a song with a different structure can be much inferior to one with a traditional structure but with better songwriting/instrumentalization. Compare WTCFM to Robot Boy for example. As for the instrumental complaint, what we're hearing here is like the electro stuff we got on ATS i.e. Blackout. Despite that, this song still sounds unlike anything LP has done so I don't really get the rehash criticism either. No, they're not breaking any new boundaries in the world of music, but neither did ATS.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  6. lparker55

lparker55 Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, I actually prefer BID to LGM, which is odd for me to like a less aggressive song, even tho the chorus to BID is more or less aggressive. LGM felt very rushed to me, which may be the point behind the song in terms of what LP was going for... I'm probably going to word this terribly wrong, I'm no music major or anything but what I love about LP's first two albums... Is at least, there was a definite defining moment in the song, a powerful emotional bridge, proper build up, as in "Numb" for example. I didn't get that here, BID and LGM are overall repetitive, that's my major problem, and both lacked that extra mmmff, that "Wow" factor IMO.

I dunno... I know what I want to say, but it's not correlating into what I'm writing... I love ALL LP music, HUGE fan, just a little disappointed... I actually played "Papercut" right after I heard LGM, and was like "Now that is the LP I know and love"

And here comes the hate replies...In 3...2...1....

7. LPHybrid Soldier

LPHybrid Soldier Banned

Your like my twin lol, i agree with you 100%, i played papercut oo after LGM haha, this song is ok, i like the screaming, but it was rushed, its the same structure as faint, but faint is a good song
    i dont want to judge this album just yet but lik ei said it aint looking good at all.

8. LPMeteorain

LPMeteorain Guest

No chance of a hate reply here...especially when you understand like I do that it's hard to get what's in your head to correlate into what you type...Numb absolutely had power and a defining moment, Papercut is a better song than Lies Greed Misery...Burn it Down is too lol...I don't blame you for not being crazy about the song you just heard. It's fair and it makes sense. I like it more the more I listen, but I already know it'll never be a favourite.

My favourite songs, also as you mentioned, are those with powerful emotional moments, bridges, soaring lyrics through choruses. Numb easily ranks high for me, as does Leave Out All the Rest for similar reasons. Burning in the Skies also captures this in my opinion. Lies Greed Misery is pretty clearly stage-driven, meant for high energy at shows and those moments where you're annoyed at the world and start driving and want to vent lol. I like it for its change of pace, a few of these songs never hurt anybody.

9. chayand1

chayand1 Well-Known Member

10. cle127

cle127 Well-Known Member

I would actually have prefered them to write lyrics that are more vague and poetic based on the theme of lies greed and misery instead and not neccessarily have those words in the song. Still with lyrics such as these or like given up they have to be somewhat emotionally relateable and I can't seem to connect with this song emotionally as compared to given up somehow. And the uptempo cheery tone in the music doesn't help at all. Hence it feels kind of weird for me:x

11. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

That uplifting, cheerful tempo is what separates it from Given Up and gives it that uniqueness that no other heavy LP song has at the moment. Makes me appreciate it a whole lot more.

12. LPMeteorain

LPMeteorain Guest

I definitely agree with you on the tempo. Angry lyrics from both Mike and Chester and yet there's an uptempo, cheery tone...that was the first thing I noticed and raised an eyebrow to

13. LPHybrid Soldier

LPHybrid Soldier Banned

I wounder what Minus thinks of LGM??????

14. Caniba

Caniba Well-Known Member

Thats my point, bro.
    Normally I love Chesters Screms:headbang:. They make me feel sooo nice.
    These Screams aren't not that bad, but they don't sound well with all the beats.

15. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Hey, I just met you
    And this is crazy
    I love this song called
    Lies Greed Misery

16. LPHybrid Soldier

LPHybrid Soldier Banned

hahaha

17. Hrvman

Hrvman Well-Known Member

LGM is a fun song, whild BID is a good single that walks between the old and new LP, surfing on the New Divide style.
    It's does not have the rock / metal impact of a Papercut, but still nice to hear, I think it's hard to do better than what they already did, think this way :

HT and Meteora were pure new metal masterpieces, pure awesomeness
    MTM was a change of style with a light feeling, no more heavy stuff, they brought a new type of fans, lost some, and kept the hardcore ones, it was a chock because a lot of fans wanted a 3rd metal album
    ATS was the most experimental and deepiest work that a band has ever done

And now we got Living Things that will mix every tool they got, to stabilize the true identity of Linkin Park, Rap/Rock mixed with electronic sounds.
    So yes, maybe it's wont be as metal as HT/M, as chocking as MTM, as experimental as ATS, but it will be a pizza of all of them.

18. Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

WTF!!! I played Papercut too!

19. Hrvman

Hrvman Well-Known Member

and a pizza is like sex, even when it's not well done, it's still tastes good :)

20. lparker55

lparker55 Well-Known Member

Damn, it's awesome when someone understands exactly what you mean. Thank you. I did listen to it about 4 or 5 times already, it is growing on me... I do think LGM live will be a hell of a lot better than studio, "Numb", "LOATR", "BITS" are all great songs, that's the point I'm making, it's not that I'm the "Old LP" fan, I'm a fan of all their albums, these two songs off LT so far haven't made me feel it yet...

Haha, nice, it's rare to find someone who gets you, the screaming felt like the repetitiveness of "Blackout" and the way it was screamed lyrically felt like "W & K", that high soaring aggressive vocal. But hey all in all, we got a new LP album coming out in less than a month, they make great music in general, I'm just a fan who enjoys their old music as I do their new...Just so far off LT, not loving it, but not hating it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.