Absolute Radio: Interview With Chester Summary | Chester Talks LIVING THINGS And More

Discussion in 'News' started by Ree, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Avo

Avo Don't Stop Running

Ditto. I'm also disappointed they apparently decided to Linkin Park-ify the folk songs. But I'll judge them when the album comes.

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

I don't see the problem in Linkin-Parkifying a folk song. They've never done shit with any kind of folk song. They wanted to go back to being "hybrid", so why the hell not?

Avo

Avo Don't Stop Running

When I say Linkin Park-ify, I mean doing shit like Burn it Down, New Divide, and What I've Done for example. Polishing a turd/watering down. Now if they were to turn a folk song into something crazy and different, that would be cool. But based on everything we know about the album so far, and BID and LGM, that doesn't appear to be the case. However, as I said, I'll judge the album when it comes.

ZoeLinkingal

ZoeLinkingal The Unforgiving

I like hybrid of sounds, I don't like Linkin Parkified. There's such a major difference between the two. Hybrid would be like HT, MTM and ATS and Linkin Parkified is essentially Meteora, What I've Done and New Divide. Burn It Down is.... I don't know where to put it, it's more electronic than ND and no hybrid of different elements...

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Avo: Pardon me but "Burn It Down" is far from a turd and I can't figure out why you and some others feel that way. Just because you don't like it's similarities to New Divide, doesn't mean it's a bad song polished to sound good or that the band was (as Mike once put it) "on some What I've Done shit". It's an infectiously catchy, arena rock song and it's one of the strongest singles (songwriting wise) that the band has done in recent memory. It's a blend of everything we know from the band and that's exactly what LIVING THINGS was advertised to be. As much as I loved ATS for it's pure balls and originality, Burn It Down being a straightforward Linkin Park song doesn't make it suck. I feel like some people automatically wrote off the song because it wasn't some sprawling 6-7 minute epic, with an unconventional song structure. Have people forgotten that some songs on ATS had "classic Linkin Park song structures" as well?

Waiting For The End - Intro > Verse > Chorus > Verse > Chorus > Bridge > Chorus > Outro
    Iridescent - Intro > Verse > Chorus > Verse > Bridge > Chorus > Outro

Even Burning In The Skies which had a lot of instrumental parts inbetween, follows a generic LP song structure when you really plot it out.

My point is, as much as it may seem like I'm going off on a tangent, my point is really that I can't understand the hate for BID I read in some places and why being familiar makes it bad. It's a well written song. A bit mainstream sure, but it's not childish or angsty.

lepetitpote

lepetitpote my presence is a present kiss my ass

I like the sound of this "in-your-face" material. Makes me super happy

Also:

Knew it

Last edited: May 30, 2012
    Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I'm at 477 plays for LGM already. I need this album! I think it will be their best!

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Actually, the chord changes in Tinfoil are rather uncommon and different sounding. It's also very ethereal sounding and the harp(?) melody is played in triplet 6/8 time I think. So I can see where Chester is coming from when he lumps it in with the "experimental" songs.

LPMeteorain

LPMeteorain Guest

I'm a fan and I completely want Linkin Park to "LP-ify" a pop song, that's the foundation of their band, hybrid. Not to say "ok let's make this album 3 songs hip hop, 3 rock, 3 folk and 3 electronic". Each song should be a blend, a straight folk song wouldn't make sense and I don't want to see this band do it.

This.

And this. I've never understood the bashing of Burn it Down. In fact I'll go as far as saying it makes no sense to me. It's very much a Linkin Park song, structure-wise, sound-wise, lyrically...so I really don't get it and it makes me shake my head.

mastae

mastae Some Honky

It would instantly be my favorite song if it started like that.

Also... I find this bad, but while I'm still excited for LT...

I'm INCREDIBLY excited for where they head after LT. They're going back to some familiar territory, making a so-called "firecracker" record after their draining experiences with MTM and ATS. It'll be an interesting and awesome experience listening to it for the first time, but I don't expect to be wow'd in the way I was with ATS. (I enjoy BID and LGM quite a bit, but neither of them WOW'D me).

I'm really hoping the album after LT sees them experimenting even further. Can't wait.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
    ZoeLinkingal

I've never heard fol songs before so i'm quite curious and anticipate what LP will bring to the table with LIVING THINGS

merrillmind

merrillmind Well-Known Member

Let me just say that I've been a fan since 2001 and I agree with all of what you said.

IMO the only "let down" of BURN IT DOWN so far has been the video but music videos can be hit or miss other than that it's a GREAT song and as one reviewer said recently about it nd it's place on the album "an already classic stadium tune" Did anyone who watched ROCK IN RIO notice how amped that crowd was for BURN IT DOWN? If not just watch or more importantly listen they were singing along as I'm sure crowds will be for many years to come seeing how no suprise it's charting very well.

I LOVE every direction this band has gone since their roots but people who think the "folk-esque" tunes on LIVING THINGS will be hurt by the band trying to "LinkinPark-ify" them is to me a stupid argument. Take "Waiting For The End" now yes it's a fresh sound but no diferent than the core of who LP started as
    -it starts with mike rapping with two different vocal tracks like how Chester sings verse#2 of "Easier To Run"
    -then Chester takes lead vocals into the chorus for 2 times
    -onto Mike in the bridge rapping some more AND YES MIKE IS RAPPING NOT SINGING! I'm sick of when I read people say that on that song he's singing those parts because he just isn't their nothing melodic to those parts theirs a FLOW because he's RAPPING the lyrics are written as they would be in any other tune Mike raps on
    -and then the song ends with an EPIC blend of Chester singing and Mike rapping much like "A Place For My HEAD"
    What's smart about "LIES,GREED,MISERY" is it captures what only Mike and Chester can do vocally with a song and no one will ever do what they have done that is why LP endures and it's nice on this new song to get back a taste of the most unique vocal duo of all time IMO. We even at the end get a reminder of those great shredding guitars plus a classic scream by one of the greatest screamers of all time not to mention just pure vocals he's someone years from now who will be emulated and finally(hopefully) respected by the entire music community.

Take the band MUSE the only band besides LP who I feel have lasted out of genius and talent and who's work is among the best music ever made,on their last record most people seem to strongly dislike"MK ULTRA" because they felt it sounded to much like their already legendary songs from their earlier albums because people compare when you sound to close to what you already perfectly executed before. That kind of backlash is why I respect the classic vibe of "LIES,GREED,MISERY" plus the unconventional sound that doesn't make it "nu-metal" this show's respect for he genre they mastered theirs no reason to try and remake their early songs they'll never make better "nu-metal" songs because they perfected that style and I'm glad we have those songs to listen to but even happier that this band isn't trying to revert back to that style just the energy which is what matters most.

As Chester put it"you can listen to HT but you don'y have to listen to MTM" great point but I listen to them all their the only band I've ever come across besides The Beatles and Oasis who have seemlessly crossed into so many forms of music that's rare and as a fan from the start I never take for granted just how much they mean to music because nothing lasts forever so the fact the band is dropping a new album in the fastest time ever just is the best present an LP fan could ever want.

THANKS LP(w00t)

ZoeLinkingal

god major double posted u

Caniba

Caniba Well-Known Member

MX1

MX1 Member

The song from 35:20 to 35:45 is the Figure 0.9 demo from LPU 9, and after that is Wake from MTM. Can't hear A.06 anywhere there buddy.

shwcobb

shwcobb 持ち上げて 解き放して

Thanks, great Q&A

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I kind of disagree with this. Idk, it just feels like I like the song despite a lot of. I like it despite the structure, despite the mainstream pop sound, despite the familiarity with other Lp songs. I do like the song but it feels like I had to get over a lot of things first. I mean sure it took a minute with ATS as well but just because it was really different. After the initial shock it was awesome. This feels kinda like i forced myself to like it a little bit. . . Just a little bit.

TheDudeFatJay

TheDudeFatJay Well-Known Member

It's funny how u guys mention '' Mainstream ''. Linkin Park are NOT, i repeat, are NOT SELLOUTS, BUT they definetly are mainstream. If you sell over 40 million copies worldwide, are you still considered '' underground ''?. Something being mainstream isn't always a bad thing, it depends on the sound and what they are trying to achieve lyrically. But being a sellout is way more dangerous and that's something LP isn't since they always strive and try to find new sounds to explore. That's what keeps them fresh. People don't seem to understand that band's need to evolve and do something new and not just do the same shit over and over again, let's say.. Nickleback??

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

I hope this thread doesn't become a battlefield with all the "mainstream/non-mainstream" talking.

Anyway. Like Derek said before, I don't quite understand the bashing of BID, especially of the people who don't like it because of its structure. I mean, do people seriously expect Linkin Park to do an unconventional structrured song every time? It just won't work on every song and, at one point they will have to end up with that build-up a few times because it's what works best or what it's most suitable to the energy of the song. Some just are asking for LP to do EXACTLY what they don't want to do, which is EXHAUST the same formula. How can some just dread of LP for making an HT III but at the same time they want an ATS II? It's the repetition of a formula regardless.

They always try to find a creative way to make fresh music, and I think the addition of early elements are working perfectly in harmony with the electronic sound. It's too much to ask for them to make another complex album like ATS right off the bat, you know why? They've said it themselves, it exhausted and stressed the shit out of them, I don't think they would want to go through that again especially during this short span of time, with LIVING THINGS being the fastest album they've put out there, within a 2 year period.

And about the "Linkin Parkifying" I don't understand the use some are giving it, I think it's actually a good thing and it's something they've done all along, take a certain sound, vibe or group of elements and make it their own. "Linkin Parkify" a song doesn't have to mean Meteora or "teh guitarz", but giving it the identity of the band which is the "hybrid theory" they've been talking about all along during this cycle.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

I'LL BE GONE is turning into a great song, seems like it was the most difficult for them to polish up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.