Am I the only one ?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Nick Hart, Jun 3, 2012.

Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

If we're talking about opinions, then I want a well-adjusted adult to explain exactly why they think Meteora's lyrics are good other than they're "catchy" and that's the point of being in the mainstream. Those lyrics leave nothing to interpretation, aren't evocative of any interesting imagery and are so structured as to be constricting.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Let me disagree with the "leave nothing to interpretation" thing. Meteora lyrics are very vague, which is why some people hate them, but this vagueness let the door open for tons of interpretations. Personnaly, I've always loved Figure.09 because I interpret it in a way that relates to something quite important to me. And I'm sure my interpretation of the song is very uncommon (it's certainly not "My friends sucks" thing), I'm not gonna explain why here, but still, it prooves that Meteora lyrics can be interpretated in different maners.

Anyway, on a general basis, I prefer ATS lyrics to Meteora lyrics, but I can understand why some people think otherwise. You're looking for lyrics that are evocative, others are looking for lyrics that are more "in-your face", while the evocative lyrics make them bored.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
    Seanlp608

Seanlp608 Well-Known Member

I love whenever the LPA discusses Meteora, it always guarantees interesting opinions. For me, I think it's funny, because when Meteora came out, I was a child, and I thought it was the most genius thing ever constructed! And now that I'm 19, Meteora is my least favorite album by LP. In my opinion, Meteora had it's time and place. Even though I want to go on a massive diss fest on it right now, I really can't say shyt, since the immature angsty version of myself connected with it so greatly at the time.

Nick Hart

Nick Hart Well-Known Member

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

That's fair. But sometimes, as a musician, you have to say something. You know what I mean? Having every song be so vague that you can find a million and one different meanings behind it could be considered a bit too safe and timid.

That's why, for instance, I love the lyrics in When They Come For Me. even the lines "I'm not a robot, I'm not a monkey, I will not dance even if the beat's funky," and "try to catch up motherfucker." Are those lines very poetic and deep? No, not at all. But it's incredibly clear what Mike is talking about, no matter how many times he gives a politically correct explanation in interviews. Mike was making a very bold and challenging statement to anybody who has tried to suggest that Linkin Park is only a nu-metal band. It was bold and ballsy and even though I couldn't personally relate to it, I loved it.

I think a good balance of vague and honest is the right way to go on an album.

Nick Hart

Excellent point ! Thats why I started listening to Grey Daze, Dead By Sunrise, Fort Minor, and even Xero cuz I wanted to hear that "something". It sounds like Living Things might deliver this on a few tracks, I just hope it sounds good when they do it. All I know is i'm not impressed with the two new tracks..The direction they are saying they are going in has potential but to me it sounds like they are trying to finally shut the old fans up while doing their current sound ON TOP of dumbing it down to a more mainstream friendly appeal which doesn't sound like it's working too well.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Anyway, on-topic, yep, I already said it in a other thread, but the only thing that bothers me so far about LGM and BID is that "big modern polished sound". I would prefer it more raw, less poppy. You can be raw and have big electro influences...See NIN.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I agree with this, It's all opinions. Meteora lyrics have meaning, and lots of it. BTH is some of their best lyrics ever. and while I personally don't relate to Numb or Somewhere I Belong, they are very relateable songs to many people, and convey great meaning as Chester is singing.

Nick Hart

Yes, exactly.

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Meteora's lyrics aren't really vague, nor are there any deep pieces of shit that you actually need time to understand. The songs are about particular feelings in certain situations...Mike has stated that for years. The only difference is that Meteora was written for a 10yr old kid in Cleveland..which is probably why lots of people/the band don't really say anything positive about the album.

CHESTER ( in 2009):
    "I think that if you get into a place as an artist that is focusing on outside opinions of people you don't even know — like, 'What does the 15-year-old kid in Cleveland think of this song?' — I really don't know, and if I focus on that, I almost end up biting myself to ensure that I keep giving them what they want, and that's a dangerous place to be in. I don't want to be a caricature of myself, just kind of rewriting the same song over and over again, to get people to buy it. I'd rather take a chance at doing something new and different and lose a few and gain a few rather than keep the same ones around. You can't make everybody happy."

Now since the original topic was about how disappointing these 2 new songs are... I agree.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

That's definitely the biggest thing I've noticed too. Both the songs are so sleek and polished.

Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

If it's all opinions, then Transformers is as good a movie as Citizen Kane.

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

There are people who HATE Citizen Kane, so I suppose that there must be people who think that Transformers is even better

Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

And the people who let them go to the theater without their helmets should be ashamed of themselves.

Nick Hart

lol You guys are funny.

cradle

cradle Foreword LPA VIP

Hahhaa you said it first.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

yeah, you can think that if you want. Nothing wrong if you do. My friend says Citizen Kane is overrated anyways. It's prolly way better than Transformers tho

Geki

Geki >.

I like BID a lot, but I'm already really bored of LGM, there wasn't enough screaming, too much electronic noise in the background and Mike sounds laugh worthy in the verses. His verse kind of sucks in BID, too. It's like FM style rapping, keep that shit for FM, don't include it in LP.

lepetitpote

lepetitpote my presence is a present kiss my ass

Quit being so negative about Meteora

This is a Linkin Park forum, you should appreciate each and every one of their albums and their lyrics

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

You're looking for this message board. People can hold and express individual opinions and stuff here! :awesome: