Chemistry between Mike and Chester

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Xodus, Jun 18, 2012.

Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

One of the biggest reasons I fell in love with Hybrid Theory and Linkin Park way back in the day was the amazing synergy between Mike and Chester with Mike's rapping often being the more aggressive mirror to Chester's emotional singing and screams. I haven't felt like they had captured it as fluidly in any album since (you could argue for From the Inside on Meteora though) Hybrid Theory. Even with ATS, which I love, their chemistry didn't feel as great.

But, oh my, on Living Things they've taken things to a new level. Mike's rapping is the best it's been in years. He went rapid fire on LITE, BID and LGM like he hasn't since HT and Meteora. He's perfected that 90's east coast flow he's dabbled in since Collision Course and the Rising Tied on Victimized and the second verse of UIB. He even threw in some reggae Shinoda again on the first verse of UIB :rastamike:. When you combine that with Chester's always brilliant singing and Mike's rapidly improving vocals (which brings a new emotional element to songs that not even Chester can) it adds a new dimension to this band that no other band can match.

Linkin Park may not be the greatest band in the world but it's possible to argue that they are the most versatile we've seen in a long time (if not ever). And with ATS and LT now I think it's possible to say they are the most underrated band going right now, and part of that has to do with what Mike and Chester are bringing to the table at their peaks as musicians in addition to the experimental instrumentals and strong structures the band has added to their toolbox. :toolbox:

Jack_Farrell

Jack_Farrell KTTK is Chester suicide-diving off a cliff naked

I think you mean the third verse is Rastanoda and the first and second a east coast-style.

Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

You're right. My bad. haha

lpisbaws

lpisbaws Well-Known Member

They are underrated in the sense that many people still consider them to be angst filled teenagers. I hope this album would help change that view.

OmarAbaza999

OmarAbaza999 Active Member

man, u r 100% correct. this is another point i missed in my review but was thinking off. you wrote it perfectly the way i was thinkin.
    the chemistry is back in this album. people seem to forget that the inconsistent chemistery between mike and chester since ht and meteora is one of the reasons fans were pushed away. now in my opinion people who dont know linkin park that much or dont know them at all will love the new album and many rock fans who are not already LP fans will buy this album.
    i project this album will sell 1.2 million this year and maybe 2.5-3 million on the long run if it gets promoted in a better way than ATS

lpisbaws

lpisbaws Well-Known Member

The "chemistry" was only somewhat absent in MTM but it came back in full blast on ATS. Maybe Mike Shinoda didnt rap as much but he still got his voice heard on pretty much every song on ATS. Fans were pushed away because they wanted the same music that made LP famous.

LeoMPhillyFan

LeoMPhillyFan Well-Known Member

First of all, agree that the chemistry and interplay between Mike's rapping and Chester's screaming/singing is what set LP apart from the other nu-metal bands and is one of the many reasons HT is my favorite album.

I'm sorry but as much as I want LT to sell 2 million, in this day and age that won't be happening happening even with better promotion. Only 5 have done it (Adele, Eminem, Taylor Swift, Lady Antebellum, and Justin Bieber) this decade and a rock band definitely won't. (Coldplay and The Black Keys are the only rock bands to even hit 1 million and they barely did.) It's not 2003 anymore so LP aren't as big as them except for maybe Lady Antebellum. The only chance they have is for LITE to become a hit on the level of Need You Now. With screaming in it, that's not likely. (That would be awesome though!) I am hoping for Living Things to be one of the 10 biggest selling albums of 2012 though, but that's unlikely too, as last year no. 10 sold 1.2 million which is more than ATS has sold in almost 2 years. On a bright note, it is likely LT will stop LP's downward spiral and go platinum.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
    OmarAbaza999

you said it adele, eminem, taylor swift, lady antebellum, justin beiber
    look at their genres adele sings classic with a hint of soul and alternative
    eminem is a rap artist
    taylor swift sings country pop
    lady antebullum country
    justin beiber teen pop

only tayor swift and lady antebellum are close in genres but all other artists who done this feat are from various different genres. The only thing they got in common and which they dont share with coldplay and the black keys is that they reached all music listeners with adele being the best to do it. I believe the mix of the genres linkin park did on this new album will make them reach music listeners of all types of music wether it is hard rock, alternative, rap, punk and maybe even some pop and country listeners because many songs like until it breaks, skin to bone, powerless and castle of glass appeal to the general public. Some will say that they did so with ATS and blended different genres but to be honest it had no chemistry between songs with different genres and the genres introduced in ATS were not delivered and given fairness like on living things thats why i believe living things will get the prediction i gave to it. If you look at the artists who released this year so far and the album sales you will find out that mainstream are still waiting on an album that they will like, thats why adele has been selling so consistent and thats why artists like usher and madonna have failed misserably and thats why artists like adam lambert, bob, norah jones, train and the fray are also failing. they had good past album sales but they have failed to reach all different tastes eventhough they have tried but their delivery was not that good. I believe Linkin Park's delivery this time is on another level and you will see when this album comes out that many people will like it and it will sell consistent after it gets different singles released like burn it down (already released), lost in the echo, castle of glass, ill be gone , in my remains and maybe lies greed misery. Finally, all the positive review it is getting will only help this album get to the million sales this year.

The people who think they're so amazing because they listen to the best music believe that Linkin Park is only for teenagers who don't know what good music is.

On the other hand, most teenagers prefer listening to pop music. Linkin Park doesn't interest them because they aren't very commercial (ANYMORE).

It's sad really.

thesungoesdown

thesungoesdown It's like I'm paranoid..

I felt Chester was underutilized in this album and Mike wrote himself TOO much into the record.

Mike's rapping will forever be mediocre and average to me. I'm a BIG hip hop head, i've heard way better flows, lyrics, etc. It's why a song like Lost in the Echo, Until It Breaks, Lies Greed and Misery doesn't excite me because that type of "braggy" rap with meaninglesss lyrics is the lowest form of rapping for me. This trend started on ATS with When They Come for Me. Chester coming in saves a few songs for me.

Here's where I have a problem with Mike. He's not a natural singer and you can really tell he's trying hard to hold his notes, whereas with Chester it's so natural and just adds that extraaaa bit hitting higher/lower notes, just look at the way he sang the melodies " I'll Be Gone". Mike's singing voice is very monotone, it kills the energy sometimes for me i.e. Skin To Bone.

I liked Mike on the bridge of Lost in the echo/burn it down/in my remains otherwise I thought he sounded terrible on this album if it weren't for the gem and show stealer for me "Castle of Glass" where he effin NAILED it.

Versatile duo for sure. Mike needs to sing less though, and bring some heart back into his rapping on the next album though.

luvelee

luvelee Member

ATS sold 1,7m worldwide last year (840,000 copies in US as of May 2012), so hopefully LT could sell 1 million copies in US and over 2m worldwide :rolleyes:

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

GET.
    THE.
    FUCK.
    OUT.

Every song you just mentioned has a meaning and only one of them is done in a bragging fashion, and that's Until It Breaks.

Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

I disagree with you about Mike's singing. He's not the frontman that Chester is, nor was he ever meant to be. However, he adds an extra layer on emotions that Chester can't capture. As Derek said in another thread, his low register is amazing. That's his sweet spot. I think he sounds extremely moody and dark in Skin To Bone and Castle of Glass.

With the rap, I tend to agree. I much, MUCH prefer his rapping style on Hybrid Theory (and Bleed It Out). That's Mike's peak style of rapping, and it's pretty much where Lost In The Echo is. However, I don't particularly care for it in Lies Greed Misery, and Until It Breaks took some getting used to. I enjoy it on Burn It Down and Victimized though.

Overall I think Mike's presence as more than just a rapper only adds to the songs. We have four songs that are carried by Chester alone (Powerless, In My Remains, I'll Be Gone, Burn It Down), two where Mike takes the lead (Roads Untraveled, Castle of Glass), and then a few that are split between the two (Skin To Bone, Lost in the Echo, Until it Breaks, Lies Greed Misery). That said, I think the two songs where Mike takes lead are beautiful. Roads Untraveled is a very well executed song. Of course, that's only an opinion, but I think Mike has come a long way in his singing, and I love hearing his much moodier tones compliment Chester's soaring vocal capabilities. It's incredibly well done.

LeoMPhillyFan

LeoMPhillyFan Well-Known Member

Good points. You are right that no album has come out that has huge sales so far, and other than Bieber, I don't see anyone selling boatloads, so maybe LT has a better chance than I thought of reaching the top 10. I could even see top 5, but maybe I'm just fanboying. :D

Tweak

Tweak Well-Known Member

One small thing i noticed is that Chester's voice is much sharper on this record, more akin to Minutes to Midnight then A Thousand Suns. I found his voice on ATS to seem somewhat sluggish? I'm not sure if that's the right term but he sounds amazing on LT. Definitely attending his singing lessons.

Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

That is part of what I mean. But I think they're underrated in general terms too. They aren't the best at any of the genres of music they use but the way they mix it together is great. No one else can pull off all of the things they do.

Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

I'm a big hip hop head myself and while I do think in comparison to "full-time rappers" he's average overall, he's perfect for what LP is trying to achieve. I also love Mike's singing. I think it adds a somber tone that Chester can't achieve because Chester is too good a singer. IMO, you don't have to be a great natural singer to be a very good fit for what your band is trying to achieve. Arcade Fire's lead singer is far from a great singer, Thom Yorke of Radiohead, Maynard of Tool and APC and Trent Reznor are all average singers at best but what they do works in the context of their band.

OmarAbaza999

you my friend get a thumbs up :chuck:

imagine puttin the best rappers in LP instead of shinoda, it wont work at all
    a better proof if you can remember is collision course, imagine jayz rapping instead of shinoda from the start. linkin park would have never reached the fanbase they have. shinoda raps perfectly work on linkin park songs and raps in general can only work in rock music if they address feelings which gr8 rappers dont address these days :WTF:

BAZINGA!!! :shinado:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
    Avo

Avo Don't Stop Running

You know, Mike doesn't have the final say on the music they put out. Him and Brad may write the most, but they've said it before, if even one person is dissatisfied, they address it. That's how the band felt it should be, not Mike.
    I think the fact that he started out as "just the rapper" is making you a bit more judgmental toward his singing, because I hear no such thing. Especially since he's not singing as high as on ATS in this record. They're more in his range now, and you can tell from his performances from Blackout, that he doesn't really have a problem in that lower range. The band also has seven pairs of ears that I'm sure would have picked up on that. You may not prefer his voice over Chester's, but that's just personal preference. I, for one, would always choose Mike's singing rather than Chester's any day, because it just evokes way more emotion than Chester's vocals does to me. Chester may have more skill, but Mike has more of an honest, somber voice that is perfect for songs like Roads Untraveled and In Between, for example.
    I don't know if this sounds like I'm attacking you because it's late, but I'm not. Just disagreeing :lol:

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Mike wipes the floor with people like you. You also must listen to shitty rap about sex and all that bullshit.