The Official LPA LIVING THINGS Tier List

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Minus, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Also, what's your favorite LP album? If it's LT, list LT and your second favorite album.

nikos

nikos Active Member

GOD TIER
    Roads Untraveled, I'll Be Gone
    S TIER
    Lost In The Echo, Powerless, Tinfoil, Castle Of Glass
    A TIER
    In My Remains, Lies Greed Misery, Victimized, Skin To Bone
    B TIER
    Until It Breaks, Burn It Down
    C TIER
    -
    F TIER
    -

ATS>LT
    At least for now..

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
    Adam.

Adam. Well-Known Member

Needs favorite album.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Well, LITE is in top 4 so i guess that's ok. we just need lots more voters because LITE was getting lost of love in the favorite song thread. But CoG being #1! Yes!

_Depression

_Depression Well-Known Member

After seeing the spreadsheet, I would like to officially petition to have a different color for my name box, for being a special snowflake and stuff.

Adam.

Adam. Well-Known Member

[video=youtube;M5QGkOGZubQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ[/video]

Adam.

Adam. Well-Known Member

This might be getting a little statistics nerdy, but perhaps instead of using an average we should be using median rather than the mean to limit the effects of outliers? When I'm looking at how the data is being represented it seems to me that the extreme negative answers are disproportionately affecting the sample. When I use your data as of the last available spreadsheet and I calculate for the median of LITE, this is the result I get the median as 5.

This seems to be far more representative of the community's response to the song (I think we can agree that there is an awful lot of love for this song) in general and would remove any deviations from dragging down the average or causing significant damage. It seems to me that calculating the median of the set would produce a more accurate single number, and of course we can run some simple math to create a standard deviation. So we'll be able to say that the track is rated a 5 with a std. dev. of 1.55. In this way not only do we get a fairly accurate representation of the community's love for the song but we have an accurate representation of how contentious that love is. For extra geekiness but easy readability we could do some more very basic math and convert the std. deviation into a percentage since that's easier to understand for most people.

What do you think?

Using the example of Roads Untraveled: Our friend here would probably not actually affect the outcome at all because his outlying response would be effectively ignored by a median measurement but he WOULD affect the standard deviation slightly. This method would benefit from a larger data set for sure.

Blake

It's ok If you pull a me, sometimes its funny to see people overreact to it. :lol: But for this type of thing it would make since to stagger it

Also, I have the second highest album rating besides Dragonfly who gave 5's to everything. I just find that interesting.

_Depression

_Depression Well-Known Member

Whenever you have a small sample size, any extreme outliers are of course going to have disproportionate effect on the overall rating. That's where the idea I proposed for the X-axis of the graph comes in. Using the same example I gave in my earlier post about it - consider a song that has received 9 votes for B Tier (2 points) and 3 votes for God Tier (5 points). The mean would be 2.75, rounded up to 3 in the Tier List (A Tier), but the majority of the votes are lower than that.

With those votes, on the graphic Minus makes the song would still remain in A Tier on the Y-axis, but would trend toward the negative on the X-axis, since that's how most people voted it. In other words, it's on the extreme low end of A Tier.

Adam.

Adam. Well-Known Member

Right, but I feel a rating that says "Most people voted this song as a 5, but some suggested it was a 4 or a 3" is more accurate than trying to produce a single number which takes all these factors into account. As a consequence we can get results from a relatively small sample size which accurate reflect the community's general response. While I like the idea of an X axis it doesn't change the way that the disproportionately negative votes are dragging down the album as a whole. Even the people who vote one or two songs as a negative generally have most of their songs sitting in the SS or S tiers but because the negatives trend towards extreme they are disproportionately affecting the general ratings for everything. I don't see how an X axis can solve the problem in the aggregate BUT a median/stddev combo WOULD accurately reflect that data.

Sunset

Sunset Well-Known Member

Added I'll Be Gone, sorry!
    Fav. album is ATS

Nish

Nish Well-Known Member

Haha :lol:

GOD TIER
    Roads Untraveled, Castle of Glass

S TIER
    In My Remains, Powerless, Tinfoil, Lost In The Echo, Victimized, I'll Be Gone

A TIER
    Skin To Bone, Lies Greed Misery, Until It Breaks, Burn It Down

B TIER

C TIER
    --

F TIER
    --

LT/ATS

Blake

I agree with maybe changing it somehow like _depression or adam.posey are saying.

If you compare this chart with the answer to this poll: http://www.lpassociation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36822&page=3

It seems really off because LITE has the most votes. Those 1 votes really bring it down. I mean doing this helps us see things but If anything LITE seems to be along with CoG as the #1 LT song, which this chart doesn't represent

EDIT: you guys are working on a fix in the shoutbox.

Minus

The fix has been implemented. I'll add the standard deviation later.

lepetitpote

lepetitpote my presence is a present kiss my ass

Coolio. I was getting a little confused about Lost in the Echo being in two places there. Cheers for the fix

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

@Minus

For some reason, it doesn't say a PM has been sent, so I'll write it here.
    My favourite album is Hybrid Theory. Full list: Hybrid Theory > Living Things > A Thousand Suns > Meteora > Minutes To Midnight. But they all rule :awesome:

Yurieff

Yurieff Meow. :3

GOD TIER
    LOST IN THE ECHO, IN MY REMAINS, I'LL BE GONE, CASTLE OF GLASS, ROADS UNTRAVELED, SKIN TO BONE, TINFOIL, POWERLESS

S TIER
    BURN IT DOWN, LIES GREED MISERY

A TIER
    - - -

B TIER
    - - -

C TIER
    VICTIMIZED, UNTIL IT BREAKS

F TIER
    - - -

Album Tier - GOD TIER
    Fav. Album - LT/ATS

Minus

You don't choose your album tier. That's calculated in the first post as a function of EVERYONE'S score. Just score the individual songs, please.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Hmm. I did pm you my favorite album but I didn't my second. So I guess it's ATS for my favorite and a tie for reanimation and LT as my second.

20. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

GOD TIER
    In My Remains

S TIER
    Castle of Glass, Powerless, Skin To Bone, Victimized

A TIER
    Tinfoil, Lost In The Echo, Roads Untraveled, I'll Be Gone

B TIER
    Until It breaks, Burn It Down, Lies Greed Misery

C TIER
    -