The Official LPA LIVING THINGS Tier List

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Minus, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

GOD TIER
    Castle Of Glass, Skin To Bone, Until It Breaks

S TIER
    Victimized, Roads Untraveled

A TIER
    Tinfoil/Powerless, I'll Be Gone, Lost In The Echo

B TIER
    In My Remains

C TIER
    Lies Greed Misery, Burn It Down

Favorite Album: A Thousand Suns

2. Wizardofozil

Wizardofozil Well-Known Member

GOD TIER
    Castle Of Glass,Tinfoil/Powerless, Lost In The Echo Victimized In My Remains I'll Be Gone

S TIER
    , Roads Untraveled Until It Breaks

A TIER
    lies greed misery Skin To Bone Burn It Down

3. StaticOnTheWay

StaticOnTheWay Makin' you all say "woah"

SS Tier - Castle of Glass

S Tier - Skin To Bone, Lost in the Echo, Roads Untraveled

A Tier - Lies Greed Misery, Until It Breaks, Tinfoil/Powerless

B Tier - Victimized, In My Remains

C Tier - Burn It Down

F Tier - I'll Be Gone

EDIT: favorite is LT, next best is probably ATS.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  4. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

GOD TIER - Lost In The Echo, Tinfoil/Powerless, Castle of Glass, Vicitimized

S TIER - In My Remains, Roads Untraveled, Until It Breaks, Lies Greed Misery

A TIER - Burn It Down, I'll Be Gone

B TIER - Skin To Bone

Favourite Album - Living Things, 2nd A Thousand Suns

5. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

As stated in the main post, you need to list your second favorite album if LT is your first favorite.

6. Stormus08

Stormus08 Well-Known Member

GOD TIER
    (NONE: While I find this album pretty good, not one of the songs on the record can be described as a "complete mastery of music". In my lifetime, I've maybe heard a handful of tracks that can be described as this.)

S TIER
    Roads Untraveled, Castle of Glass, Lost In The Echo

A TIER
    In My Remains, Powerless, I'll be Gone

B TIER
    Burn It Down, Until It Breaks

C TIER
    Skin To Bone, Lies Greed Misery, Tinfoil (meh, why must we rank this 'song'?)

F TIER
    -----

Note: I know Victimized isn't ranked. One listen I absolute despise this track because it's muddled structure and ridiculous chorus. The next I adore Shinoda's lyrics and Bennington's angst. If you must place it somewhere, I guess put Victimized in tier C.

Favorite Album: Hybrid Theory. (for what its worth, second is LT)

7. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

I remember checking this thread last night, then I forgot about that part today, fixed it.

8. Calvin

Calvin The rhythm projects 'round the next sound... LPA VIP

God Tier - Castle of Glass, Roads Untravelled, In My Remains, Lost In The Echo
    S Tier - I'll Be Gone, Until It Breaks, Tinfoil/Powerless, Skin To Bone, Victimized
    A Tier - Burn It Down, Lies Greed Misery

Favourite Album - LT
    2nd Favourite Album - Hybrid Theory

9. HypnoToad

HypnoToad Glory to the HypnoToad! LPA VIP

GOD TIER
    ROADS UNTRAVELED, SKIN TO BONE, UNTIL IT BREAKS, CASTLE OF GLASS

S TIER
    VICTIMIZED, I'LL BE GONE, LOST IN THE ECHO

A TIER
    TINFOIL/POWERLESS, IN MY REMAINS

B TIER
    BURN IT DOWN, LIES GREED MISERY

C TIER

F TIER

FAVORITE ALBUM: A Thousand Suns (LT is a close second)

10. Stormus08

Let me first say, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but . . .

Not to be snobby, but really people? If God Tier is categorized as "songs that you consider a complete mastery of music", how can so many rank multiple songs in this category? From the description, this tier is reserved for the best songs you've EVER heard. Out of the fifty-some odd list filled out so far, the average list has 3.94 'God Tier' songs listed. And only two list, including my own, have zero listed.

It seems to me people are not taking time to carefully read the thread description. I feel as though people are blindly putting their favorite tracks off of Living Things in the God Tier, taking away from any legitimacy this thread may otherwise have. Ex: "Oh, well I really liked Lost In The Echo, into the God Tier it goes". Maybe people are actually reading the thread correctly, and contributor's fanboydom has reached to unimaginable levels.

But, like I said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion :rolleyes:

11. Minus

Opinions are opinions. They are subjective and even restricted to the realm of LP only in terms of what is considered Godlike. It's all up to the person creating their tier. Completely opinionated here. Take a look at the tier lists in the FGC, while some characters in some games are basically agreed to be a certain tier, there is always leeway with certain characters depending on who's list you're looking at.

12. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

This is what I had in mind when ranking music. Strictly relative to Linkin Park music and the context of Linkin Park's career.

13. Stormus08

Fair enough, but if that's the case this entire thread is very relative. Justin Biebers's new single Boyfriend could best be characterized as God-Like compared to his past efforts, but that doesn't speak much to the quality of music on a grand scheme, does it? The song is still mediocre at best. I don't shy away from comparing Linkin Park to other great artist/bands because, to me, they're that good and should be put on that pedestal.

14. Minus

This isn't meant to be judged against other artists. There are plenty of threads that do that and most of them end up turning into huge circlejerks.

I looked at this as a more intuitive and interesting way of rating the new album. As I started obsessing over the idea, I envisioned creating a database of song ratings from their entire discography with unique ways to sort. Think something like "LT Tier List as Considered by Fans that like ATS the best," or "Top LP Songs as Rated by Fans that did not like Meteora," or even the generic "Least-Liked LP Songs as Rated by the LPA." There are tons of possibilities here.

15. Adiek84

Adiek84 Well-Known Member

Just because people put multiple songs in there, it doesn't mean that they haven't read the thread description. Maybe we should just consider that those people think that those songs are the best they ever heard.

16. Squish Mitten

Squish Mitten I'm a five-star general; infantry controller.

SS Tier- Lost In The Echo

S Tier- Castle of Glass, In My Remains, Powerless, I'll Be Gone, Tinfoil

A Tier- Burn It Down, Roads Untravelled, Skin to Bone

B Tier- Victimized, Lies Greed Misery

C Tier- Until It Breaks

F Tier- ------

Favorite Album- METEORA

17. Minus

Thanks, you've been added to the data!

I'll be updating the main post once I get home. Crunch time at the office at the moment.

18. _Depression

_Depression Well-Known Member

Stormus, what defines "mastery of music"? What parameters are there to judge music by? Can you really compare LOST IN THE ECHO to Beethoven's 9th Symphony, to Eminem's "Lose Yourself", to Owl City's "Fireflies"? Is there any way to even try to objectively quantify the level of mastery of a piece of music on a grand scale, or even on a more restrictive scale (like quanifying the mastery of the different tracks on LIVING THINGS)?

It's easy to say there are imperfections in every piece of music, but that's as much human error as it is composition error. There's no way to determine how well JS Bach played his Fugue in G Minor for the first time, and every individual performance of it today varies - by human interaction, the organ used, the acoustics of where it's played - but yet it's still agreed to be an example of musical mastery.

Out of curiosity, on a grand scale of mastery in music, how does Venetian Snares's "Hajnal" rank? And how can you realistically say a song like LOST IN THE ECHO is better or worse?

19. snailharvest

snailharvest nice

GOD TIER
    LOST IN THE ECHO, POWERLESS, CASTLE OF GLASS

S TIER
    ROADS UNTRAVELLED, I'LL BE GONE, UNTIL IT BREAKS, LIES GREED MISERY

A TIER
    BURN IT DOWN, VICTIMIZED, SKIN TO BONE, IN MY REMAINS

B TIER
    TINFOIL

C TIER
    -

F TIER
    -

FAVOURITE ALBUM - LIVING THINGS

20. Stormus08

In regards to your own likeness, there are only your own parameters to judge music by.

No, there are no ways to objectively quantify the mastery of music; only subjectively. The listener is the critic, not the masses. And like I said, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I just found it, well... interesting, that so many people found multiple tracks on this record masterpieces. But like previous mentioned by Minus and others, if we're juxtaposing this record just to LP's other records, that's fair enough.

Why is there this persistent ideology among music aficionados that the classical genre is the pinnacle of music? Anyways, I digress. There are no formal or proper ways to judge music. That's brilliance of music, everyone has their own interpretation, opinions, and perceptions, and no one is necessarily wrong or right. If I told you, Third Eye Blind's The Background is a masterpiece, you'd probably disagree. But that's okay! So, can I realistically say that Lost In The Echo is better than Hajnal? I don't know. I can surely tell you which one I enjoy more (the latter).

I think that you think, that I think (still following me? Ha) there's a way to quantify the 'goodness' of music. There isn't. Either you like something or you don't. You don't even necessarily need to explain why you like or hate a track, you just do.

I'm probably starting to sound like a prick, so I'll meander outta here.:nyan:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.