[Scans] Linkin Park in Kerrang! Magazine - Full Chester Bennington Interview

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Jun 27, 2012.

cradle

cradle Foreword LPA VIP

When she was just a girllll. :pedobear:

LPChris

LPChris LP Fan Since 8/2001

^QFMFT

1. Hybrid Theory
    2. A Thousand Suns
    3. Minutes To Midnight
    4. Meteora
    5. Living Things
    6. Reanimation

just my opinion.

NotEnoughYetTooMuch

NotEnoughYetTooMuch Well-Known Member

This article's awsome! :)

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Haha, well that's your opinion. I personally find all four of those songs you listed really boring to hear live. Especially No More Sorrow and Given Up. I'd be happy if those never appeared on a setlist again.

Rezanator

Rezanator Well-Known Member

No big revelations and Chester looks rather emo in some of these pictures. Lol. Anyway, ATS to me is their best album to date and it's unfortunate that more people didn't like it. One of the bad things or should I say frustrating things about LP fans is that they are fans of that nu-metal genre of music which is 90% brawn and 10% brain. LP were able to harness that 10% brain in Hybrid Theory and Meteora and showed us the best of nu-metal. Unfortunately, it was super easy to the ears and fans came by the horde because it didn't require much thinking. Just jam to it and like Chester has said they are/were good workout albums. But underneath the surface lurked something about this band and the type of songs they created. There's where the other section of the fan base comes in and I consider myself among that group of fans. I guess for a lack of better word, we "saw" or realized that this band is capable of more. I'm not saying I foresaw the direction they would eventually take with MTM and ATS, but I knew this band was capable of doing whatever they wanted with their music. Their music should not be limited to a certain type of sound and some of us saw or heard hints of that in HT and Meteora. When you go past the obvious, you see the multiple layers and that to me was the beauty of LP. It's music was readily consumable by the masses, but for the more discriminating listener there was more to these songs. Now, as they progressed they focused more on these complex ideas and pushed the boundary of their sound and it caused a lot of those fans who liked the "in your face" aspect to question the direction of the band. This is a valid stance to have as the band have mentioned repeatedly, but I am glad they took the direction they took because this band is more than what we heard initially in HT and Meteora. An album like ATS comes along once in a while and they may never write another album like that again and that's fine by me. If it's one thing I've come to learn by being a fan of LP is that I should not have any expectations as to what a song or an album may sound like, just enjoy the journey. When MTM came out, I didn't like it much and to this day it's my least favorite album, but I respect what they did and why they did it. As an LP fan, my recommendation would be to let go of expectations and enjoy the music for what it is and not what you thought it should be. Enjoy!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
    superdupercop

superdupercop Member

i totally agree, experimentation is not something anyone can just do at will, and i feel that the experimentation on Living Things is more than enough to satisfy people. i think we're spoiled little brats for being LP fans, we get something completely new almost every damn time, and there's only so far a band can go creatively, be it any band.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Beautifully put. I think your description of their original sound was dead on as well. Only thing I disagree with was the dislike for MTM (I consider it an underrated album), but I love everything else you've written.

LinkingParks

LinkingParks Member

Man i want to read this, and i liked ATS , it is a very creative album.

i dont care what the haters think :leak:!

Rezanator

Rezanator Well-Known Member

Thank you. We can agree to disagree on MTM, shake hands, and still be fans of the same band! That's what's great about being fans of LP. I also would like to add that a LOT of people mistakenly thought LP was a metal band after HT and Meteora came out. That's another reason why the nu-metal fans were disappointed. LP=Metal I think is the single biggest misconception about this band. Simply put, Linkin Park has never been and will never be a metal band. They took elements of metal music and incorporated it in their own way. Unfortunately, metal music was somewhat corrupted by the rise of nu-metal and young listeners mistook HT and Meteora as metal albums when they were nothing of that sort! I immensely enjoy listening to bands like Tool (they defy easy labeling as well, but in general they are prog-metal band), Mastodon, early Metallica, and etc., but I never considered LP belonging in that genre because they have no genre! That's why a lot of those fans who thought the band would become a full fledged metal outfit (in the nu-metal genre) were disappointed even though their idea of what the band was was completely off base. Nu-metal is not metal and most metal fans will tell you this or punch you in the face first and then tell you this. Lol. That is probably the biggest negative that came out of the music scene in 1999-early 2000's. Nu-metal brought in a lot of kids to the metal scene but they had no idea what true metal was all about. And when their heroes stopped making their favorite kind of music (remember Papa Roach?) or fell off the map (Limp Bizkit anyone?) they didn't have anything else to do but to listen to those old albums and complain about returning to the "roots". LP has a lot of those fans who misunderstood the band as a metal band and were disappointed when the band explored beyond the early sounds.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

I simply love the fact that Chester took the time to listen to each of their albums and really enter the mind of his fan base. The fact that he came out of the experiment with a completely different frame of mind speaks volumes for what the band was thinking at the time.

I guess you could argue that if it weren't for that moment of revelation, Living Things would have been a lot closer to A Thousand Suns part II.

I for one am glad with the decision to come back-down-to-earth for Living Things. Honestly now that they've found a sound true to their name, I'd be all for them taking another year and a half to release another album in the same vein. After that, they can go off exploring the vast emptiness of space in search of another musical boundary to break through!

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

True story, I was initially going to say "Live, they rape ATS, especially NMS and Given Up". I guess we have an opinion issue :lol:

You've made interestings points, yep. I would just like to add that LP still had some Metal influences, and so, it's quite logical to see people wanting LP go "metal". Obviously they have never been a full metal-act (not even close), but they still had that agressive/heavy edge to them. Songs like OSC, Qwerty, or Don't Stay are influenced by the metal genre. And Chester voice back then was simply the voice of an Hard Rock singer.

Speaking of that, I was wondering the other day why I prefer old LP music to their newer stuff. I'm not naïve or anything and I can see that LP newer stuff is way more creative and original than their older work, so I was just asking myself if I was one of those nu-metal heads, if it was nostalgia or whatever... And then I found out why. The main reason I falled in love with this band was Chester raspy voice. Not even his screaming voice, but the way he used to sing POA chorus, With You pre-chorus, Carousel chorus, Lying From You chorus, it was just one of the best rock voice I had ever heard. That was what made LP interesting to me in the first place. Now his voice still sounds cool, but it isn't that special anymore, at least to me. I was just saying this to show that there are more reasons to favor old LP music to the newer than just "I want to jam, I don't care about anything else!".

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
    LinkingParks

LinkingParks Member

Waiting for the end live is well good, the catalyst is okay live , personally not the best live

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Beautiful article.. If there's something I'd like is that people who judge their music (even within the fanbase) to realize how hard they've worked over the past few years and how much courage it takes to leave what was considered a the moment "a winning formula" for the sake of creativity and evolution. They have balls, not many bands dare to take such high risks on their career the way Linkin Park have, and that's why they are still relevant to this day, they got out of that "nu-metal zone" on time, and took their game to the next level.

Of course, it doesn't really matter what people think or not, but I can't help feeling irked sometimes when reading some people comment things about LP that aren't true at all or just being judgemental without knowing the facts.

I hope LT does really well in sales, as it deserves to, it's an amazing album, for all (or most) tastes, IMO, it's very diverse.

LinkingParks

LinkingParks Member

I totally agree with this, true words right there , they have got the balls, ATS was amazing and really original.Living things
    is the greatest album of all time and the most creative of all time.

aKaRiot

aKaRiot LP Fanboy

What's ironic is that Reanimation was a very "Hybrid Theory" version of the experimentation already found in ATS.

This band never wanted to stay in the same sound, but after Hybrid Theory, if they changed paths as drastically as M2M/ATS, they probably wouldn't be a band in 2012.

2003 wasn't ready for a "Older" LP sound. (I'd actually say 2007 wasn't either, but that's my own personal disttaste for M2M. It's still the least Linkin Park album to date. Sounded like radio rock without the LP uniqueness)

Gman2887

Gman2887 Well-Known Member

Not really fond of the negative spin the author puts on ATS. Living Things is a fantastic album and really solid, but I'm more interested in the Living Things vs. A Thousand Suns poll a year or more from now. A Thousand Suns is still their best work and while Living Things speaks with progression on the second half of the album, the first half seems to be designed to put out singles.

Now, I think A Thousand Suns and Living Things are one and two, but I do hope they do something polarizing again. That's what keeps them interesting and fans on their toes. I'm not asking for ATSpt.2, but something that challenges listeners to accept something that is borderline a new genre. Living Things is a fun electronic rock album, but it didn't offer the same challenges. It's amazing how putting blame on ATS for the birth of Living Things compliments and damns the incredible, fourth album in the same breath.

wilson_r

wilson_r Member

I think you're mistaking the article - not once does it actually say ATS was a bad record nor do I get the feeling they feel that way about it. More's the point, they actually rated ATS 4/5 and only gave LT 3/5 so I wouldn't say they dislike it! I understand the argument that the first half of the album is designed for singles as it's influences are much more heavily from HT/Meteora structure-wise but they are still relatively experimental. LGM for example has a real happy beat behind it and yet it's aggressive and angry, the chorus of LITE has Chester straight-out singing and doesn't vary much from the verse, COG - it's folk and they're a rock band and it has electronics in it, what more do I need to say? Ha! The second half of the album is fairly experimental albeit a little rained in from ATS but that's because it has more direction! I don't tend to like looking at songs as sequels to other songs but UIB is the Blackout of this album - it has so many movements and it flows so awesomely - really grown on me! But it shows they can experiment in such a way without going way over the top with it and that's great!

Gman2887

Gman2887 Well-Known Member

But it is it the same author that reviewed ATS and LT that wrote this article? It doesn't really matter what the magazine scored these albums, the author of this article seems to be writing to cater their career and specific albums a certain way. He mentions to approach ATS with caution and calls LT the "do whatever the fuck I want" album, which is funny because during the ATS cycle Chester mentioned how Linkin Park, "...could be anything." So I figured they had reached the "do whatever the fuck I want" point with the last album. Not to say they aren't with LT, but there's a distinct feeling that fans have affected this album, despite what Chester says in this article. Which I find kind of sad.

As for Lost in the Echo and Lise Greed Misery, I enjoy them fine, but they don't do a lot as far as progress. They're mostly just fun songs. Castle of Glass was the real, albeit slow, turning point of the album. From there things get really interesting.

Kurotaiyou

Kurotaiyou Member

I did what Chester did last night. I listened all five of LP's albums back to back. It was an awesome experience. I also do not get the hate on ATS, which is my favorite album. Living Things is great and actually has knocked Hybrid Theory off my number 2 album spot but ATS is so different from everything else LP has done and unlike anything else I listen to.

mastae

mastae Some Honky

Unrelated but regarding ATS live...

I pray to god they never remove The Catalyst from their live set. To me, that is always the peak of their shows.