Has LInkin Park sold out?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by PT37, Jun 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Geki

Geki >.

The best thing ever to happen to Linkin Park was in 2006, when they decided to choose Rick Rubin to produce their third album. He helped further open up their eyes, that they needed to evolve. But what people don't remember is that the band actually WANTED to change their sound themselves. Let me ask you something. Where are all the ''nu-metal'' bands today? Where are Crazy Town, Limp Bizkit, Korn, Disturbed, Adema, Powerman 5000, etc?? More than half of the bands from the whole ''nu-metal'' era are no longer active, and the ones that are still active, aren't doing very well for themselves. Linkin Park hopped off that whole stupidly labeled genre and decided to not fall apart. They saved themselves from destruction. Since 2006, the band has released three albums. Minutes To Midnight drastically changed the band's sound and completely erased all the old Hybrid Theory purists. I personally know people in my area that loved LP back in 2000-2004, and then no longer were a fan of the band once MTM dropped. MTM contained almost no ''nu-metal'' roots, but it was still the same old LP structure and it was still radio friendly. In 2010, the band released another album, A Thousand Suns. This album further drove the whole ''erase nu-metal'' attitude. It sounded absolutely NOTHING like old-school LP, there were no remnants of their ''nu-metal sound'', and they even got rid of the old LP song structure. This album got rid of the HT purists that somewhat still followed the band after MTM. Then again, this year in 2012, the band released another new album, Living Things. It's not full of their old ''nu-metal'' style, but some songs do have a tiny influence from the ''old LP sound'', such as Lost In The Echo, Burn It Down, Lies Greed Misery, I'll Be Gone and somewhat Victimized. The other songs though, could find easy homes on MTM and ATS. In My Remains, Castle Of Glass, Roads Untraveled and Powerless all could have easily been on MTM. Skin To Bone, Until It Breaks and Tinfoil all sound like ATS tracks. They essentially did use ''all the tools in the toolbox'' on this album, they included tracks for all eras of LP fans. So I don't see how you can say this is the worst LP album, and that they sold out. In your idiotic logic, the band sold out once they stopped making your precious ''nu-metal''. Also, QWERTY (not Behind Your Lies, smh), was not ever intended for MTM, the band stated that many times. It was created for the Summer Sonic tour in 2006, then they recorded a studio version for their fanclub, which was cool of the band.

All in all, they did not sellout, they just stopped making music that you think is ''good''. I seriously do not think that LP will ever escape all the ''MAKE HYBRID THEORY PART 3'' hate throughout their career. It's sad, but true. People like this are the reason I believe that. I seriously thought that if the band still hasn't made a ''nu-metal'' album since 2003, that people would have lost faith in that by now. Jesus Christ.

Gorgeous Nightmare

Gorgeous Nightmare Member

I LOVE THIS POST! I hate when people think the term "sellout" means a band that changed their sound. A sellout is an artist that does something primarily for the purpose of gaining profit. Linkin Park's first 2 albums, which were their original albums, were their highest-selling albums, 10x platinum for Hybrid Theory and 6x platinum for Meteora. Their latest 3 albums, which are a totally different style, have not sold anywhere near that much, even combined. So if they really sold out and were just in it for the money, wouldn't it make sense to continue making albums like their first 2, because those were the highest-selling, and not make albums like their latest 3 which were not as successful?

People need to stop throwing around the term "sellout" and learn what it actually means.

I also hate it when people call A Thousand Suns or Living Things "pop rock" or "purposely mainstream". Because it's nowhere near pop rock, and like I said before, if they wanted to be mainstream they would make albums like their first 2. Hope this all makes sense.

Star Scream

Star Scream Does A Machine Like You Ever Experience Fear

by definition of the term 'sold out' there musical ideas will give them profit. if they stuck to albums like meteora and HT that means that it is obvious that they are just in it for the money but changing their musical style gives them more satisfaction in the long run. living things perfectly defines that, most people just demand metal and say that they are to soft now but they are wrong. LP still has the energy in their music and it is stronger than HT and meteora. i just read the post of Gorgeous Nightmare and he/she is absolutely right people need to stop throwing around the term "sell out" and learn what it means. in my opinion i don't believe in the term "linkin park's best years" because if you are referring to that term you are referring to now, because they are at the best right now. they made radio stations around the world happy for burn it down because it is considered as radio friendly and they made LP fans happy with the rest of LT.

CylockDNB

CylockDNB Well-Known Member

You know, I hate to say it, but in a way, LT is kind of a HT part 3.

I know I'll get flamed for that... Wait for it.....

1635898-flame_on_super.jpg

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Living Things is not Hybrid Theory Part III.

Neither is Meteora Hybrid Theory Part II.

Nish

Nish Well-Known Member

Meteora is more Hybrid Theory 2.0 than Hybrid Theory II

StaticOnTheWay

StaticOnTheWay Makin' you all say "woah"

While I personally don't believe LP has sold out, why does everyone care so much what other people think? If they don't want to listen to LP then they don't have to. We can enjoy their growth without the haters.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Living Things=Living Things
    Meteora=Meteora
    Linkin Park=Linkin Park

There is no ''new Linkin Park'' or ''old Linkin Park'', and they did not sell out.

Smarky

Smarky Well-Known Member

You know guys. Who cares?

Haters gonna hate.

If somebody actually has an opinion or actually does something, there is going to be someone that holds the opposite view or opinion. Who cares about critics. What they say doesn't matter.

It's only the people that do nothing interesting that won't attract extreme views and that's just boring.

These people view there views and critics just don't matter. It's easy to sit on a computer and point out people's flaws or analyse a situation and make it negative when you have no idea what is going on. Credit belongs to the people out on the edge actually doing something. Like the band for example.

Really? Does any of this matter? You love the music and you connect to it, or you don't. If you don't go find something you do like.

That's what I feel the band are doing anyway, doing what they like, creating music that they like and that's what everyone should do too.

This guy is wasting his time spewing argumentative and negative comments like he is angered by the band cause they owe him something. Maybe he should just go live his life. Life is to short to not spend it on what you love.

Either you love this band and the music they create and you enjoy it. Or you don't and you find something else that makes you excited. The rest is just BS Period.

"So we've decided — very clearly — that we're just going to make music that we like, that is challenging to us to create and pushes us in a place that makes us feel uncomfortable and giddy, like we're discovering something. As long as we do that, and we feel happy with the record we put out, then it's like, 'OK, we've done our best, and if you like it, great, and if you don't, go find something that you like." - Chester.

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Well, kinda. :p

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

I like Meteora and I think its Hybrid Theory Part 2. You can't argue with the fact that there identical.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I haven't seen them on a Pepsi commercial yet or make an appearance in an Austin Powers movie.

lime treacle

I'm refraining from bursting into a clusterfuck of cursing and offenses.

They are not identical. My opinion. Period.

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

And I respect your opinion. :)

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

How is Living Things Hybrid Theory 3? Can you really say that Castle of Glass, Roads Untraveled, Skin to Bone, Until It Breaks and Powerless could be on an album like HT?

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

If anything, Living Things is a MTM part 2. A collection of songs in different styles and sounds without a main theme.

Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

I mean it with all due respect when I say that person is an idiot. The irony of it all is that if there is one "sell out" song on LT it would be Burn It Down. They were on some What I've Done and SIB shit where it's clear they wrote a song intended to be radio friendly.

lime treacle

They weren't on some What I've Done shit. I mean, yeah, they wrote a radio friendly song, but it wasn't meant to be the first single until they "chose it because of the really high energy."

iPhantom

iPhantom Banned

Who gives a fuck about any of this?

You like whatever you like. Why does everybody need to compare and break down this band's career constantly. There are members who think Meteora sucks, is good, or doesn't even exist. There are members who like Hybrid Theory, the later albums, and LIVING THINGS. You like what you like.

Enough of this Meteora = HT, Living Things = HT3 or MTM2 bullshit.

Just stop.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Lmao so his argument was "They went from one of the biggest festivals on the planet to alienating half their fucking fan base." Yeah really selling out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.