Your views on Reanimation

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by lime treacle, Jun 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

One of their best. The only downfall is some of the guest rappers that I could do without (
    Rnw@y, Wth>You). It was a window into what the band could become. That's why I love Living Things so much. Reanimation showed how the band could mix various styles (with some guest producer help). Hybrid Theory is a wonderful debut but a bit limited in scope. Reanimation showed the band had real range. Meteora kind of stunted that along with MTM imo (still love them). ATS and Living Things are back on that trend.

I find a lot of fans who love Reanimation are a bit older and are familiar with a lot of the guests and producers. It was more our era with Orgy (Jay Gordon), Taproot (Stephen Richards), The Roots (Black Thought), Sneaker Pimps (Kelli Ali), etc being on the album. That's the 80s baby's shit lol. Not so much the younger crowd who may have started with Meteora. Then we have fans like Philsfan, who is 15 and awesome. lol

lpxerotheoryfan

lpxerotheoryfan Can you do it like this?

I love Reanimation! Sometimes I prefer listening to it over Hybrid Theory and that means a lot because I LOVE Hybrid Theory.. I think it was really cool that they did that though. When I was younger I always had hoped they'd do something like that with Meteora, at least with a few songs. I always wanted to see how they could pick apart each song and turn it into something new.

Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

Your entire post tells me you know nothing about hip hop or rapping. Rapping is a part of hip hop, not a separate thing. The fact that you think some of the most talented rappers/MC's around in Pharoah Monch, Black Thought, Aceyalone and Chali 2na suck speaks voluumes. I get the feeling that you're the type of hip hop "fan" that only likes Eminem (I think Eminem is brilliant, but he attracts lots of fans who know nothing about hip hop).

Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

Reanimation, in my opinion, was by far their best work until ATS and now Living Things. My guess is the people who don't like it are those who aren't that into hip hop. Which is fine, except when people start talking about great MC's like Chali 2na, Aceyalone and Black Thought not being good rappers. These guys are hip hop royalty and true lyricists.

But back to Reanimation as a whole, it was LP pushing themselves creatively and working without constraints. Reanimation is more of a "hybrid theory" than the album with that name. It's LP at their best, a genre-less outfit that you can't label and raised the stakes for what I thought they would become. This is what made Meteora and MTM so disappointing to me. One album that was a ripoff of their debut and another where they had an identity crisis. It took them 8 years (ATS) to figure out how to be what they appeared to be heading towards all along.

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Meteora is overrated.

Suffered

Suffered All we need is faith

And Reanimation is underrated...

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I think Reanimation was the band's first real display of, "Let's try something different." I've seen other bands release remix albums, but none where the band was so actively a part of the process and threw out newly written lyrics and such. I think it's a close second in regards to studio releases (not official albums, of course) behind A Thousand Suns. It brought out the best of Hybrid Theory and really made a lot of those songs better. I'll never forget hearing that album for the first time and how impressed I was. The only effort by Linkin Park that has ever really impressed me more was A Thousand Suns - which to me still stands to be the best piece of work they've released.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Reanimation is the most overrated LP release ever though.

Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

Far from it. You have a right to your opinion, of course. In my opinion, it's one of their three best releases along with A Thousand Suns and Living Things. What is a fact is that it was their most ambitious, varied work prior to A Thousand Suns. For me, it was when I realized they could be so much more than all those other nu-metal and rap-metal bands out there. And that's coming from someone who was obsessed with Hybrid Theory and played it non-stop for about a year.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

If you ask me, the most overrated Linkin Park release is Hybrid Theory. And yes, I said it, but I don't know how anyone truly loves that album beyond its nostalgic value. Yes, Linkin Park perfected a genre, but to me, it wasn't anything mind-blowing. The six tracks off of Hybrid Theory EP were better than those tracks. Their demos were better. There is something upsetting about how many people take that album and place it on this pedestal of absolute glory. It's not that good!

Reanimation does get a lot of hype, and it does have some lacking tracks - but I wouldn't say it's overrated. I said it before, but that was the band's first effort to really say "Here is something completely different." I don't know of any other band that would release anything like it, nor do I know of any band that would actively collaborate with other artists to create a genuinely new remix of a song. None of those songs are those stupid 8 minute long house remixes. They're actual, solid reinterpretations. For people to love Reanimation, to me, makes sense. It's a good album that brings out the best of Hybrid Theory​ and actually made a lot of those songs better.

Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I kind of hinted at this in my above post but didn't go out and say it, but yeah, I agree that HT is their most overrated work. It's their claim to fame and I do listen to it from time to time because of nostalgic value, but after listening to so much more music over the last 12 years it certainly isn't a mind blowing album. I enjoy listening to HTEP tracks like And One, Part of Me and Carousel more than most of HT. If I had to rank the albums (not counting HTEP) HT would come in no higher than fouth.

DaMU

DaMU Well-Known Member

There's a lot of correct opinioning in this post, and I support this post.

Sunset

Sunset Well-Known Member

I just loved In The End, My December, Crawling, Papercut and Pushing Me Away remixed. They were just awesome, and to me Reanimation is far better than Meteora, and sometimes I feel like it's better than HT.
    But I agree with who says that there's some crap rap on these songs.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Reanimation is LP's most overrated release. Krwlng, 1 Stp Klosr, My<Dsmbr and nothing else.

Peeper

Peeper Well-Known Member

Yeah, sure. And Justin Bieber is going to join LP.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

This. The responses in this thread just prove it more too.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

The whole album is great right up until the guest rappers come in. They just ruin the whole thing.

Peeper

Peeper Well-Known Member

Why do you think that responses in this thread prove that Reanimation is overrated? Someone just likes this album more than HT, and he could say HT is overrated.
    I think what is underrated or overrated is really subjective. You could say that everything what most people like and you don't like it as much is overrated. This thread will never end then.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I personally feel a fair few of the guest rap verses on "Reanimation" are solid. For me, "X-Ecutioner Style" is one of the album's biggest highlights. Chali 2na's verse on "FRGT/10" and Aceyalone's verse on "WTH>You" enhanced those respective tracks.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

The only song I liked it on was papercut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.