68 year old woman bullied by kids

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Nish, Jun 23, 2012.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

The reason this is such a big deal to many people is because there's a face to this cause. While bullying is a major issue, its charities won't see a drive of this nature until something truly awful happens and creates a martyr for people to rally around.

That, and people HATE seeing the elderly cry. Almost everybody loves their grandparents, or at least has respect for them, so when a video goes viral about a 68-year-old woman being tossed insults, you can't help but think "what if that was my grandmother?" and wish to help out in some way. $600,000 is no doubt exorbitant, it would be nice to see her give some of that to bullying causes.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Exactly. That woman is someone's grandmother, and imagine what that person would like to do to those kids if he has a slightest bit of respect for his grandma. 600,000 Dollars is too much for this, but I'm glad it sent a message.

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Agreed.

Amanda.

Amanda. Well-Known Member

I'm pretty shocked by the figure that was donated to her. It makes me think of the literal millions of other people who have been bullied of all ages and creeds. The kids, adults, elderly, gay, straight, Christian, Muslim, etc. Where's their cut? Whoever said she should donate some (if not the majority) of the money to bully causes, you were spot on. While it's obviously necessary for these kids to learn a lesson, a year suspension? Whatever happened to sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me?

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

I have mixed feelings about this, I mean, I agree with everyone at some extent.

I totally agree with the punishment that was given, and hell, why not more? .. Seriously, at the point we are right now as society, there is pretty much no other way to fix certain poisonous behaviour of people than to be severe, because it's obvious that other methods aren't working. Bullying kids NEED to understand that what they do is not right, and not only they offend physically other kids, wounds might heal overtime but psychological damage NEVER heals and that's something that should be treated like a considerable offense. If they are not punished, then they think they can get away with it, and hell they've done it for many years already, it's got to stop.

Hell, it's a completely different scenario what I'm going to mention but things are so bad in criminality here, that I crave for death penalty to be taken back by the national courts, life here isn't worth a penny, if you go out at night you come back home being thankful for being alive, what kind of life is that? Delinquents aren't punished at all and they have lost every bit of respect for life, if they did have any, before you would have seen killing as some sort of last resort but now they can just take away your stuff and kill you anyway. If severe punishments were to be applied offenders would think more than once to do things and risk themselves be caught. It's a totally different thing but I think you can understand my point.

Things need to be set straight, a sermon and a few slaps on the wrist is not going to do anything, actions have to be taken firmly in order to set a precedent and then maybe we could start seeing some changes.

And as for the money given to the lady, yeah if they had gathered just enough for her to be sent on a nice trip it would've been fine, but it went a little excessive and like people pointed here before, people don't have great priorities when it comes about their money, there are so many good working causes that need support and people decide to donate their money on useless shit (not referring to this case)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
    Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I pretty much agree with everything you just said. I feel like if we're going to stop bullying we need to start getting sevre. So in my opinion one year wasn't enough. We need to start making an example. Give em 6 months of juvie and a year suspension. I guarantee things will start changing.

Filip

I seriously didn't think 13 year olds can get community service. I'll be more careful in pranks now. :lol:

Nish

Nish Well-Known Member

That's true, but it has to be noted that she never asked for this money and was initially told that she'd be receiving about $5000. That being said, the happiest possible outcome from all of this would be if she kept a small amount (maybe that 5K, maybe more) and gave the rest to an anti-bullying charity of some sort. Although, empathising with her, I wouldn't judge her at all if she decided she was hard done by and just kept the money.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
    Filip

Bullying is not as big as problem as world hunger or stuff like that... She should donate, I agree.