Does anyone else feel this way?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Money Maker Mike, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Jack_Farrell

Jack_Farrell KTTK is Chester suicide-diving off a cliff naked

Yeah it lacks the Meteora "wall of sound". This album feels now more like a climber almost reaching the top of a mountain only to slip and fall, lol. It tries to get "there" but it can't reach ever reach that point.

2. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

That constant "wall of sound" is precisely what makes Meteora so boring nowadays. All of the songs carry the same weight. There's no bends or ridges in the album. Every song sounds the exact same to the point of monotony. Changing it up is what makes Living Things so refreshing to me in comparison.

Seriously, the hate-train for this album right now is pretty unbelievable to me. I'm still enjoying almost every second of it.

3. mastae

mastae Some Honky

Most of the comments aren't hating though. The albums sat for awhile, so I think we're just getting responses after double takes, and even so, most of the comments aren't "God this album sucks now," or "This is the fuckin worst shit I've ever listened to." Most of the comments are just saying that the album seems to be missing something, which I agree with. It's not a bad album by any means, but it doesn't feel complete either.

4. jordanW241

jordanW241 Well-Known Member

I think it's important to note that most albums become boring when you listen to them over and over. Yes - Living Things is getting a little boring, but that's probably because I listened to it obsessively when it came out, as I do with any new material from LP. Therefore, all of LP's music is destined to become boring at some point or another... it's just a case of giving it a rest and coming back later.

I didn't listen to LP for a few months a while back because I was overplaying them to a ridiculous extent, then when I came back, I realised why they were my favourite band again. If I were just a casual listener, I'd probably listen to Living Things and go 'ah, that's a good album' and listen to a couple of songs off it every so often (like I do with most other bands). I just think a lot of people here (me included) just need to take a step back sometimes. There is no other band that I analyse so deeply as LP, and I think that does ruin the music sometimes, trying to pick holes and listening to things hundreds of times.

5. BrandonR24

BrandonR24 Well-Known Member

Been listening since day one. Love it! Best album since Hybrid by far. Just wish VICTIMIZED was longer haha.

6. Jack_Farrell

Jack_Farrell KTTK is Chester suicide-diving off a cliff naked

I listened to ATS on constant repeat for a shitload of time and it didn't become boring, with LT, stuff like I'll Be Gone or Skin to Bone makes it get old fucking fast.

7. Flagrare

Flagrare 'Majestic Dick. Brazilian Snake Cock. And Cunts. LPA Super Member

I must be the only person, each time listening, more likes of the album.

8. I agree with this.

9. shwcobb

shwcobb 持ち上げて 解き放して

To be honest, the more I listen to it, the more I like it. That said, it's still my least favorite LP album to date, and I'm positive it'll stay that way [until something worse comes along].
    It's definitely tiresome.

The thing that instantly resonated in a wrong way with me was the amount of pure electronics and basically no rock sounds. Yes, ATS was the same, but it was what it was, a true sonic journey. That album is really something special, and every sound feels perfectly balanced, in-place, and part of a whole. LT is just an electronic mess, and the first half, though it contains extremely catching melodies and choruses, doesn't feel LinkinParkefied. No real depth, no true quality behind it all. Calling Powerless an epic is also beyond me.

I like to think of it as their time to let it out of the system. Let the bad things out? Maybe. When I first listened to ATS, I didn't like it at all. Within the week, I loved it. That didn't happen with LT.

10. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

It's funny you say that, because I feel the complete opposite when comparing both album's electronic atmospheres. ATS felt emptier, which in turn played out well for it's "sonic journey" as you say. But the electronics overall felt relatively safe. Whereas to me, Living Things felt like a step forward in electronic progression. While you call it messy, I consider it a fuller, "richer" (I use that term lightly, as ATS overall as an album was indeed richer) experience.

And not feeling "LinkinParkefied" is super contradictory to this seemingly universal idea that the first half of Living Things sounds like it's been done before.

11. Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

The thing is, I didn't overplay LT and then get burned out on it. I listened to it maybe a dozen times, loved it at first & then got bored of it. Conversely ATS I played heavily for about 3 months before easing off, and after that I played/still play it semi-regularly and it always pulls me in (and that goes for any favourite album).

I find LT kind of rote & not very interesting. They really castrated the record by consciously and deliberately keeping the songs short. They really went out of their way to do that. It feels rushed & unrealised & deliberately broadly accessible, to the detriment of the songs.

I recall LP talking about the early material like, "We can write that kind of song in our sleep" and LT feels, to me, like they did that, just with some new sounds. It's kind of remarkable, just 2-3 years ago/one album ago, Mike is talking like this, and then goes right back to the thing he/they wanted to get away from.

I really hope they take as long as they need to write the next record, and just let the songs be as long as they need to be. I'm "whatever" on the genre/direction, just write good songs.

12. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

One thing I will say is that I already stopped listening to LT haha. Still a good album tho

13. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I feel like Castle Of Glass, Skin To Bone, Powerless and Roads Untraveled won't get old, because they aren't like something LP does all the time.

14. rundown228

rundown228 Banned

It depends on the listener. For me, bands like LP and Disturbed I could listen for MONTHS and not get tired of them. Ofc there were a select few that I got tired of (Prayer and Catalyst respectfully) but after I stopped listening to them, I got hooked fast.

For some, bands get old fast. For some, it takes awhile before it gets old, and then it just never gets old. :p I'm a little bit of all 3

15. Spiderguy252

Spiderguy252 Awaiting LP in India

I've been saying it since minute one. This album just doesn't possess the same amount of shelf life that ATS was lucky to have. Threads and opinions like these prove that it's in fact a majority verdict.

16. shwcobb

shwcobb 持ち上げて 解き放して

Well said, especially the last part. I'm ''whatever'' at this point as well, just make good stuff.

17. The Fortunate One

The Fortunate One Well-Known Member

This happens with every single album/song I enjoyed. At most I listen to a song/album everyday for about 2 months before it gets boring and dated and I can't stand it anymore.

18. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

False prediction! RU and Powerless got really old for me :lol: RU is like a loop song, there isn't much substance I'd say, it's the same repeated melody all the way.

19. Nick Hart

Nick Hart Well-Known Member

This.

20. Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

Well I don't think its getting boring one bit, in fact, it took a few months to realize which songs I truly liked and now that its settling in, I can listen to it more frequently with my friends, but of course I would have to say that any of their albums might feel like a step back if they had to be the successor to A Thousand Suns, you can't beat perfection