Meteora: What Went Wrong?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by rundown228, Jul 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    rundown228

rundown228 Banned

I thought Bleed it Out was the song that needed to be re-written 100 times XD

DaMU

DaMU Well-Known Member

It's dull, plodding nu-metal power chords swallowing up meaningless you-vs-me aggro-angst lyrics purified by band management into easily digestible radio noise. A few sparks in the dark ("Breaking the Habit," "Easier to Run") can't absolve this tepid sludge.

Meteora is one of the very few albums I feel embarrassed for having once liked.

rundown228

rundown228 Banned

Angst?

Maemi

Maemi Well-Known Member

It´s quite a surprise to read that "everybody" hates Meteora. I don´t love any other album as much as Meteora and all LP fans I know also like that album the most.
    Personally, I don´t like Minutes to Midnight and A Thousand Suns very much, because I can´t get used to them.

rundown228

rundown228 Banned

Well most people on the shoutbox hate it, and ofc that one asshole who acts like it doesn't exist.

It's a great album, but like the others it has flawls :awesome: It gets a pass. Next year = 10th anniversary :awesome:

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Too bad the world ends in December :trollface:

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

FTFY. ;)

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Session would probably be in my top 10 LP songs. It's just epic.

Tweak

Tweak Well-Known Member

I like it because of Breaking the Habit.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Most people don't "hate" Meteora as much as think it's overrated, and when the "bad" fans talk it up as their greatest accomplishment, it gets picked apart.

It's a good enough album, but the lyrics are almost Papa Roach levels of bad.

SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

I don't hate Meteora. Heck, before ATS it was my all-time favorite. And I actually still really like Nobody's Listening. That said, I wish we'd been able to hear the album before Gilmore "had his way" with it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
    lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I'll just say this:

Nothing went wrong.

And I'm embarassed this thread exists.

Flagrare

Flagrare 'Majestic Dick. Brazilian Snake Cock. And Cunts. LPA Super Member

I like your personality, boy.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I don't know what this Meteora you're talking about is, but it sounds highly disappointing.

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

I love Meteora. It's their best album evah. :awesome:

:kappa:

In all seriousness, I loved Meteora. Now I just LIKE it. I believe it improved and perfected the sound of HT, as well as making better songs than "Runaway", "Forgotten" and their worst song ever "A Place for My Head" (I don't care how much you guys love this song.) After listening to it a billion times and reading your criticisms on the album, it hit me. It did improve on the sound. Just nothing else. The lyrics just spoil the broth of the fantastic riffs ("Somewhere I Belong") and most end up awkward. "Breaking the Habit" and "Faint" are probably the most different among the songs, but that's it. It's just a lack of creativity.

PS I'm surprised I'm not on Minus's ignore list despite my numerous praises of Meteora.

Jack_Farrell

Jack_Farrell KTTK is Chester suicide-diving off a cliff naked

Don't Stay was never going to be full-on reggae, the guitar part they had before had a reggae vibe is what Mike said. Meteora is by no means "shit". Instrumentally it pushes further boundaries. It's an album that plays well. It's solid. It doesn't get "weak" or "boring". Yes, much of the lyrics are crap, but that's because of the label's/Gilmore's decision. I think no-one can deny however that it was once an album everyone absolutely loved and praised, because they're rightfully so. I mean, the band has said itself that the album was MEANT to be epic. It has one of the greatests walls of sound, everything is perfect to the tiniest detail.

Man, if it weren't for the lyrics this album would be right up there with HT and ATS.

LPChris

LPChris LP Fan Since 8/2001

Nothing went wrong with Meteora. It was an awesome successor to Hybrid Theory.

I hope we're not forgetting the gems like Numb, Breaking The Habit, Faint, Easier To Run, etc.

ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

Why are we STILL talking about this album?

1. Don Gilmore. DON GILMORE. DON GILMORE. If you look at the meteora demos... you could oviously tell the potential of the album. unfortunately due to DON GILMORE, the album became a piece of poopoo.

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

I'm going to agree with these two posts. No one at the LPA really HATES the album. However, we aren't afraid of picking apart music in Linkin Park's discography. Just because we are fans doesn't mean we can't be subjective. We are subjective to all of their music including ATS and LT. We all did like Meteora at one point but it just doesn't live up to its reputation anymore. Session is still on my favorite songs list.

Now in reference to how everyone calls Meteora teenage angst music: Fuck, Don Gilmore specifically said to write the lyrics of the album so that little boy in Cleveland could connect to it. How is that not a teenage angst album?

And Don't Stay was supposed to be a reggae song Jack Farrell. Mike had originally put a reggae like rap into it.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.