What was the most surprising Linkin Park song for you? From all albums

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Delicious Dave, Jul 11, 2012.

Surprising in a bad way: The Catalyst. I was so stunned. I was in my cottage listening to the radio for hours and hours just to hear the premiere (I didn't have internet access there). I was like, "was I waiting for THIS?" Then I came back and listened to the full version, not the radio version. I loved it in the end. It's the most epic Linkin Park song ever.

Surprising in a good way: When they come for me. It still gives me goosebumps. Never have I thought Linkin Park would make that kind of a song. Radiohead, Muse, yes. But Linkin Park? This made Linkin Park become my favourite band still today.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Nothing from the first two records. Little Things surprised me the most I'd say.

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Hybrid Theory - None
    Reanimation - Krwlng
    Meteora - Session
    Collision Course - Big Pimpin'/Papercut :kappa:
    Minutes to Midnight - The Little Things Give You Away
    A Thousand Suns - The Messenger
    Living Things - Until It Breaks

deadbysunrise

deadbysunrise Well-Known Member

Well, the song that probably surprised me most is In Between. It might not be as experimental as Little Things is on that record, and the whole ATS had a lot more unexpected elements, but listening to In Between for the first time is the closest to 'Ís this really Linkin Park?' I have ever gotten. When MTM came out, we hardly knew Mike could sing. Even if he could, having a full song on his own wasn't something that we could really see coming. And then bang - a Linkin Park song and Chester isn't singing? Well that's a surprise!

TVTV

TVTV Active Member

"Skin to Bone" because I would never expect them to write such a weirdly dark pop song. It's one of my favorites.

"Robot Boy" for the song relying mostly on vocal harmonies.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Robot Boy surprised me in a bad way. I got used to the song since then, but I'm still not a fan of it.

JasonN

JasonN Well-Known Member

Hybrid Theory: nah
    Meteora: Breaking the Habit
    Minutes to Midnight: In Between
    A Thousand Suns: Robot Boy
    Living Things: Skin to Bone

StaticOnTheWay

StaticOnTheWay Makin' you all say "woah"

Nothing from the first two.
    MTM: Little Things!
    ATS: TBH most of the album. Most surprising was probably Catalyst
    LT: Castle of Glass. Holy fuck is that song good.

lpgabriel

lpgabriel Wasn't that fun? Let's try something else!

The wait for A Thousand Suns for me was a mixture of anxiety with good and bad expectations (mostly bad because of MTM).

When I got to hear The Catalyst in a Youtube Video for the first time I really wasn't expecting that... It look me like 4 or 5 listens so I could digest that lack of guitars and awkward song structure.

Honestly, the first time I heard it I waited for the song to really start until the end of it, LOL.
    Then after the end I kept asking myself: 'Is that it?'

Today it's one of my top 5 favorites and it has grown on me in such way that when I heard it live in the one an only concert I attended to, it was a f**ing blast!

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

HT: Papercut. DAT RAPPING! Before Linkin Park was known for their rock/hip hop fun, Mike was just that one guy in the band with red hair that didn't really do anything. See the video for One Step Closer. This was the first introduction to the band for a lot of people. Being ignorant to what the band was at the time, like 99% of the fanbase at the time, I didn't know how much of a role he would play in most of the record. Buying the album on release day with just hearing One Step Closer on the radio, the biggest surprise was the first song I heard from the album. Papercut.

Shmoanator

Shmoanator Guest

Hybrid Theory honestly didn't really surprise me that much. If I had to choose one, It would probably be "Cure for the Itch", just because I wasn't expecting an instrumental song.

"Nobody's Listening" was probably the biggest "shock" to me in Meteora. I just flat-out wasn't expecting the sound of "Nobody's Listening".

I know It's just a B-Side, but "No Roads Left" was a big surprise to me. I don't think I need to elaborate for that song.

As Faint into Pieces and lpgabriel pointed out, after first listening to "The Catalyst", having mixed feelings towards it and having now digested it (that song is now one of my favorites), it told me that there were going to be some shockers on A Thousand Suns. I wasn't so surprised when I heard the rest of the album after "The Catalyst".

"Until it Breaks" was definitely the biggest surprise to me on Living Things, although at this point (like ATS), I was still expecting the unexpected for this album.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Hybrid Theory: At the time, the whole thing.
    Meteora: Breaking the Habit. It was the only song they actually put any effort into.
    Minutes to Midnight: The Little Things Give You Away
    A Thousand Suns: The Catalyst
    Living Things: Until it Breaks

rcm034

rcm034 Well-Known Member

Does it have to be a studio album?

If not, I'll go with You Ain't Gotsta Gotsta. Put that cd in and my immediate reaction was *pause* lolwut? *pause* *bursts out laughing*.

As far as major releases
    MTM: In Between
    ATS:The Messenger, though by the time the album was released, I had zero expectations of what I was about to hear, so nothing really had me going wtf?
    LT: On my first playthrough, Castle of Glass.

The Prisoner

The Prisoner ...O...

Breaking The Habit (at the first time I listened to it I was very suprised)
    Valentines Days / In Between
    No Roads Left
    Until It Breaks

I wasn't reall suprised by the ATS songs. I hoped for something like that for this album. Nevertheless the abum has blown me away.

Geki

Geki >.

mmm...cookies really fucking surprised me. I remember how pissed off I was at the time it was released, I couldn't believe LP gave us that for an LPU release. I appreciate it now when I listen to it.

Peeper

Peeper Well-Known Member

Hands Held High. When I heard it for the first time, I was like "WTF?!!" ... actually, when I hear that song today, still feel like :dafuq:, guess this song will never grow on me. Anyway, from other songs I'd mention In Between, but this one in a good way, I liked the idea of Shinoda singing some songs, and Robot Boy. Gotta say I'm starting to like the vibes of this one.

lpxerotheoryfan

lpxerotheoryfan Can you do it like this?

:ditto:

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Hybrid Theory - High Voltage

Reanimation - The entirety of the album

Meteora - Zilch.

Minutes to Midnight - The Little Things Give You Away

A Thousand Suns - The Requiem, When They Come For Me, Blackout, The Catalyst ( I can't pick one, sorry )

Living Things - Skin To Bone

Duragon

Duragon Well-Known Member

I remember at the time of MTM i had two versions dowloaded. And the first one was the album with fakes, grey daze and such. And was so completly confused with the original one after hearing In Between. So i bought the album, and it took a long time realise that Mike sang In Between, the version i bought was the tour edition too, so No Roads Left came as a big ''who the he** sings this? Thats awesome stuff''

On ATS The Catalyst came as a bad shock, after listening to snippets and the first radio release. It felt so long and too repeated for my taste. Blackout shocked me in the good way. Cause of LPTV i thought Blackout was going to be that hard old sounding track. And when i heard the album, the track had like a happy melody with hard screams, i remember also hair on my arms rised and i had goosebumps on Mike's part.

LT, pretty much everything was unexpected. Roads Untraveled, and Victimized had huge impressions on me.
    But Lies Greed Misery just fucking blew my mind. That was something i would never see comming. The intro part tricked my to think it was going to be somekind of a happy song. Lies Greed Misery was a kick in the face nutts.

Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

Hybrid Theory: Hearing In The End on the radio for the first time, won't ever forget that.

Meteora: Listening to Faint on LP's website before the album dropped, the were streaming Somewhere I Belong, Faint, and I think Numb, but when I heard Faint I was in awe.

Minutes To Midnight: The 17-second scream in Given Up. Godly.

A Thousand Suns: Hearing The Requiem for the first time, extremely chilling. Also, the lead in from Wisdom, Justice, and Love into Iridescent.

Living Things: Hearing the lead-in for Lost In The Echo for the first time, and then hearing the song in its entirety. Beastly song.