Meteora: What Went Wrong?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by rundown228, Jul 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nish

Nish Well-Known Member

When Meteora came out, I loved it. I thought it was a more polished version of Hybrid Theory. It was my favourite LP album until A Thousand Suns came out.
    Looking back now, yeah the lyrics are terrible but the music still has energy behind it. But the age I was then, it was more about the emotion the song conveyed as opposed to the specific lyrics. I still listen to Faint now and I get just a little bit excited. The effect has worn off, and it's now not even in my top 3 LP albums, but it has it's own place in Linkin Park's discography. I think that album was about them proving that Hybrid Theory was more than just a lucky coincidence, plus they hadn't yet reached the mindset where they wanted to challenge themselves with every album they did, as they do now.

Honestly, I react to people telling me that Meteora was a bad album in the same way I do when people tell me they hate the 'new LP'. Whatever floats your boat, it's still there for my enjoyment whenever I feel like it

2. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

You're gonna have to try harder than that. :shifty:

3. Geki

Geki >.

I think it went like this...

Hybrid Theory - Huge album, I don't think the band knew how big it was going to be, it changed music completely.

Meteora - Haha, see, we aren't just a one hit wonder, we can make ANOTHER album just like our first and we still have it!

Minutes To Midnight - Ok, we don't like being judged and placed in a box. We aren't just nu-metal. We can make whatever we want, let's do this. Let's make an album completely different from our old work, and let's make it an effort NOT to make songs that sound like 'nu-metal'.

A Thousand Suns - Let's me different and totally not listen to what fans want or what the label wants. Let's make music we like and just go with it.

Living Things - Now we can do whatever, we can make old school LP Music, and new LP music, let's just write whatever.

4. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Meteora is still good, it sounds good, but it's not very creative...

5. RiseFromTheAshez

RiseFromTheAshez Banned

not very creative, wow......

6. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

If you think this non-existent album actually was creative, I don't know what to think.

Because even the band has admitted it's Hybrid Theory Part 2. Nothing says creative quite like doing the exact same thing you did last album.

7. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

What exactly do you consider creative? Using the same rhymes, melodies, song structure and sound isn't very creative...

Session and Breaking The Habit still rule.

8. Shikshak

Shikshak Well-Known Member

I didn't like it very much when it came out. It was too HT for me, but I felt it was a weaker version of it. It's a good album but I'm glad they're trying new things since MTM, even when I don't dig some of them.

9. RiseFromTheAshez

RiseFromTheAshez Banned

I'd like to see you flip a sample and turn it into something half as good as somewhere I belong, I'd like to see you use a flute and turn it into a hip hop track half as good as nobody's listening, I'd like to see you make an instrumental half as good as session, this should be very easy since its not a creative album, and I was just talking about the beats and instrumentals, but hell I bet you could also write better lyrics, so please man I'm waiting

10. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

What the fuck is this load of crap? I don't have to be a chef to know that I'm being served shit. See what I'm talking about when I say nu-metal fanboys don't have a leg to stand on? You want a rap song with a flute? Here's a list. You want a bunch of cool instrumentals? Post-rock and most forms of jazz are pretty much entirely instrumental. You want better lyrics? Trying looking at any of the bands Linkin Park cite as influences. I'd wouldn't be surprised to learn that Meteora's defenders have no working knowledge of any music beyond modern rock.

Jesus Christ, the mere act of writing a song means precisely dick if the song's not good. I've written my share of shitty songs, but I wouldn't hold them up as art and dare someone to do better.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  11. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

^This guy is always so angry...

12. RiseFromTheAshez

RiseFromTheAshez Banned

first of all you dont even know me, nu metal fan boy made me laugh since im a hip hop, 2nd learn how to read, when did I say I wanted a song with a flute, that was an example of how creative they are blending flutes with guitars to make such an amazing and creative song, when did I say I wanted better lyrics, and why would I wanna check out some whack ass bands? fuck outta here

13. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I'm just gonna say it. Nu-metal fanboys are stupid and there's nothing they have done to make me think differently. Their only defense is this circular logic that Meteora is good because it's good. I'm fine with liking some unsophisticated bullshit, but at the very least you can be honest. Don Gilmore forced the lyrics to be overwritten, the songs hardly varied from the same structure and the band itself has referred to it as a rehash of Hybrid Theory. Those are facts. I'd rather listen to the album than any other nu-metal, metalcore or post-grunge, but that doesn't change my impression that it's not only derivative, but the thing it rips off isn't even that good. I don't care that Hybrid Theory went diamond, it's as uninspired as its successor.

Hmm, my reading comprehension might be a bit off. We could probably communicate better if you weren't completely illiterate.

14. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I disagree with you. Hybrid Theory when it came out was a breath of fresh air. It's inspired me to make some changes in my life, and for that I am eternally greatful.

15. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'd rather listen to Meteora than Hybrid Theory. The lyrics are a heap more stupid but I like the samples more. I'm not saying they're better, just that I prefer them.

16. RiseFromTheAshez

RiseFromTheAshez Banned

Go slap your mother for raising such a dumbfuck

17. Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

Cut it out. You're both getting infractions for your comments. Keep this up and you'll be banned from these forums.

---

This thread seems to be going downhill (was it ever uphill? :kappa:). I'm keeping it open for now but if stupidity continues in this thread, it will be locked.

18. DaMU

DaMU Well-Known Member

You don't have to be a skilled filmmaker to be able to criticize a movie.

You don't have to be a skilled novelist to be able to criticize a book.

You don't have to be a skilled musician to be able to criticize an album.

"Let's see you do better" is one step below "that's your opinion brah" on the list of value-free conversation contributions.

19. RiseFromTheAshez

RiseFromTheAshez Banned

You don't have to be a skilled filmmaker to be able to make a movie.

You don't have to be a skilled novelist to be able to write a book.

You don't have to be a skilled musician to be able to make an album.

20. Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

These aren't really arguments, because it's irrelevant. What's there is there. We can critique it if we want. From that point on it's just agreeing and disagreeing, making points from what we think, and letting other people have their opinions. Shutting down arguments like this is counter constructive.

Anyone can critique anything. Everyone has their own opinions. Linkin Park have proven themselves to be again and again, skilled musicians. In my opinion, Meteora was a step back, one that shouldn't have happened-- Again, IN MY OPINION. You can't defend something by saying "Well, you can't do better", that's just a cheap way of trying to end an argument. What matters is what's right in front of you, and your opinions on that piece of music.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.