[SPOILER ALERT] The Dark Knight Rises

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Agent, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

SPOILERS SPAMMING TEXT FOR THE CONVENIENCE OF SPOILER-FREE-NESS IN ACTIVITY FEED

SPOILERS SPAMMING TEXT FOR THE CONVENIENCE OF SPOILER-FREE-NESS IN ACTIVITY FEED

The CIA is trying to extract the doctor that has the knowledge of how to make a fusion bomb into the US with additional hostages (those who are supposedly working for Bane).

Bane's plan was to make the plane look like it crashed with the doctor inside. That's why they had a random dead cadaver in a body bag which was injected with the doctor's blood.

2. deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

10/10.

Loved it.

Very emotional and brilliant cinematography.

3. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

It was very good, but it was missing something compared to The Dark Knight. I don't know if the scope was too big that it was hard to focus on the characters, if it was missing a compelling villain, or if there wasn't enough protagonist/antagonist. Something just felt off about it all. I'll need to watch it again, but I'm feeling depressed about it after going in with movie-of-the-century expectations.

Edit: I think the passage of time had something to do with how disconnected things were. Basically the last half of the movie encompasses 5 months. It just goes by so fast and it barely explores anything that's going on during that time. Bruce is stuck in prison for 5 months and we barely see him. Gotham's citizens are stranded on an island for 5 months and we barely see anything they are going through. Then bam. Batman is back and saves the day.

Edit edit: Also, Bane had Gotham in genocide mode for 5 months. Gotham was completely broken, and still is completely broken, even though Batman saved the day. Society turned against itself and the goals of Ra's al Ghul were basically fulfilled. The wealth is gone, the spirits are broken, and they now have to build back up to their peak again.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  4. JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

I personally didn't enjoy it one bit :melow: we hardly saw Batman in the entire movie (or at least he was missing for a good majority of it anyway)! It didn't really have the same feel to it like the first two... so kinda like travz above.

However I loved the ending! another Batman (and potentially Robin) movie anyone?

5. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I just arrived back from the theater. Just throwing out some of my initial thoughts, not a proper review.

First of all, there were way too many apparent conveniences and unlike the previous films, in 'The Dark Knight Rises', they're much too transparent. The film drifts between the razor edge suspense established in 'The Dark Knight' and the calming, brooding effect of 'Batman Begins'. Unfortunately, this effect is executed without grace; the pacing is confused and out of place.

Characters like the Joker never had a fully designed background story, but it worked considering just the kind of villain he represented; Like Faulcone said to Wayne in the first film, "you always fear what you don't understand" . The same cannot be said for Selina Kyle/Catwoman. Her character is clearly presented as someone we're supposed to connect with and sympathize for on some level. Consequently, I failed to completely invest myself in her character thanks to the scarce information given on her backstory.

The second act was for the most part, a muddled mess. Also, the journey Bruce Wayne had to endure before he could rise once more after his defeat was too convenient, corny, and uninspired. Though, the score, performers and cinematography helped to maintain the illusion that it was an enthralling segment of the film. I don't buy it.

On the plus side,

Everyone on board gave an incredible performance. Anne Hathaway exceeded my expectations, and is the perfect live action Catwoman to date. Tom Hardy was absolutely amazing as Bane. The performances were top-notch...well, almost. Marion Cotillard dropped the ball in her final moments as Talia Al Ghul. I'm surprised nobody acknowledged just how bad her dying sequence was, it was downright laughable.

There seems to be a consensus that Bale's performance trumps that of the previous films in the trilogy. I totally disagree. In retrospect, Bale's most heartfelt and relatable performance as both Bruce Wayne and the Batman will forever stem from 'Batman Begins' for me.

Subsequently, we were treated to an amazing finale. It was the conclusion Nolan's take on the Batman story needed, and the ending audiences deserved.

The Dark Knight Rises - 7.5 - 8/10

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  6. travz21

The more I reflect on it, the worse it becomes.

I thought this movie was going to be total darkness and brutality, even more than The Dark Knight, but it wasn't. Like Snail said, there were a few main characters that didn't make us feel much. I didn't even feel anything for Bruce this movie. I wanted to like Catwoman because Anne Hathaway is a goddess, but we know absolutely nothing about her. I would say the only character that you can present as a mystery is the Joker. Catwoman felt way too human to be given no info on her. Bane was way too smart and motivated for us to be given no info other than "league of shadows" 10 different times throughout the movie to make fans feel cooler about linking it to Batman Begins. That just seemed lazy and cheap to do with a character with the potential Bane had. And the entire character of John Blake could have been scrapped and simply added to the role of Gordon. Instead we get little screen time from either of them and have nothing invested in their story.

And yeah, I thought Talia's death scene was lol-worthy. Like blooper-worthy. I can't believe they didn't redo that. I guessed Tate was Talia right after the bang-by-the-fire scene. That didn't bother me that she was in the movie, but the way they did it was absolute trash. As soon as she reveals she's Talia, Bane's whole image becomes tarnished and we lose all emotion towards him. This is only further proven when Catwoman anticlimactically kills him and he's done for the movie. Just like that.

7. Snail

Definitely, it was the perfect time to let the audience have a breather as well as creating a sense of just how drawn-out and desperate those five months must have been. Really poorly handled. Nolan should have toned down the erratic style of editing. It did not work quite as well this time around consistently.

Wanted to add to my thoughts,

Batman's first violent confrontation with Bane was fucking amazing. I wish it would have lasted longer.

8. ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

I think both fights between Batman and Bane are just plain awesome.

9. Minus

JESUS PEOPLE, THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO ARE ON THE ACTIVITY STREAM THAT CAN READ YOUR POSTS, UN-SPOILER THEM FOR FUCK SAKE OR SPAM RANDOM SHIT UNTIL IT'S NOT ON YOUR POST

JESUS PEOPLE, THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO ARE ON THE ACTIVITY STREAM THAT CAN READ YOUR POSTS, UN-SPOILER THEM FOR FUCK SAKE OR SPAM RANDOM SHIT UNTIL IT'S NOT ON YOUR POST

Okay, now that that's out of the way...

Yeah, no.

1) Isn't it obvious that Bruce Wayne decided to retire for good from both his life as Batman and as Wayne as shown by the ending?
    2) It has been stated several times that Robin wouldn't fit in the universe.

If anything, I'd say Nightwing.

And I'm surprised nobody has made any comments about Joseph Gordon-Levitt's performance.

10. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I agree with everything you said about Bane and how the plot twist ruined his character, but I can't help but think you and I fell victim to our own expectations a bit in regards to how dark we thought the movie should have been vs how it ended up. It's never really fair to hold your own expectations against a film.

I do disagree about John Blake's character though. I think he was distinguished enough as the pure, idealistic, orphan cop, and his character was good at paralleling and contrasting with both Bruce Wayne and Gordon. His pureness highlights how corrupt even the best of "the system" (Gordon) had become during that scene where Bane reveals the truth about Harvey Dent, and his backstory makes him essentially the younger, not-yet-corrupted version of Bruce Wayne. In my mind, John Blake is really the hero that rises in the film.

11. Minus

Dude, seriously. You guys are spoiling those people who haven't seen the movie that use the Activity Stream function of the forums.

12. travz21

Seriously, I'm not going to put spoiler tags in every post in every thread I post in about movies or tv shows. I've never used the Activity Steam and really don't know what it does. 'New Posts' is what I've been using on forums for years.

13. Minus

Activity Stream shows you most recent posts in threads. I know for sure one of you spoiled Ree in this manner. I know the stream makes it easier for mods and admins to do their jobs since you don't have to go into each thread to see what is being posted.

14. Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

Doing it for mom. Cute.
    But actually. I told Todd a while back to come up with a new programming for spoiler tags that actually hides your comment in a spoiler box.

15. StaticOnTheWay

StaticOnTheWay Makin' you all say "woah"

IMG_1983-500x333.jpg

16. travz21

17. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I think the movie's going to be awesome. I think I'm seeing it Tuesday, so we'll see what I think then. (I've already spoiled the movie for myself, much like I did with Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.)

My only problem with the movie is its title. When The Dark Knight came out, I thought to myself, "OK, cool. All three movies are going to have completely different titles." It's not a new concept, but I definitely thought it was going against what's normal for Hollywood, insofar as naming sequels goes. But when Nolan decided to call it The Dark Knight Rises, I thought it was kind of lame. But thinking about it, I don't think anyone would've gone to see The Caped Crusader. :lol:

18. Snail

Everything I wanted to point out and more. Though, some of the errors he mentioned are highly debatable. Glad I'm not the only one who thought this way about the film.

19. StaticOnTheWay

StaticOnTheWay Makin' you all say "woah"

20. travz21

Yeah, he got some things completely wrong and some don't make sense. I read the first 57 and about 50 of them were spot on.