Linkin Park: This is your next album.

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Whellow, Jul 26, 2012.

Whellow

Whellow New Member

I've watched you guys pretty closely from a fan's perspective for a pretty long time now, since LPU2.0. I've loved that your music has evolved along with your tastes, and you weren't afraid to make the music *you* like making. I knew and continue to know that before every new release, I will respect the time and effort you all have put into it.

Since Meteora, I've been fairly accurately predicting your movements in sound. I noticed you guys had good taste, and couldn't pigeon hole yourselves for long. I knew the importance of a strong sophomore release meant a lot, as it would provide the fiscal/business stability with Warner Bros to move on to far riskier and experimental projects, and so I imagined the next album (turning out to be M2M) to be not a dramatic but gradual shift towards that goal, and I was right.

SO. You've made the leap from potentially being stuck in a genre to making a completely experimental album with ATS, and you've come back to "use all of the tools in our toolbox" - as you've put it - with Living Things. It sounds really great, and will prove to be a template of true experimentation with a band's sound for years to come, of that I'm sure. But what's next?

This is difficult to predict, as not many bands have done what you have done. Fleetwood Mac, The Beatles, they've done it and done it well, and yeah, I'd put you guys in the same group of talent.

So here's the kicker. You guys strive to do something new and exciting with your music, with every release. From very early on, probably from the beginning of Xero, there's been one thing that's stayed the same, and that's 100% group participation on each and every song. This is a pristine opportunity to try something new, and the following is my proposal:

The band splits into three groups of two (or two groups of three, but I like the diversity of three/two). For the sake of argument, we'll say Mike teams up with Joe, Chester with Brad, and Rob with Phoenix. Each group gets complete ownership of 3 to 5 completely new songs. Writing, producing, the whole process. The groups work in parallel, and if one group needs the talent of, say, Chester's screaming vocals, he's there to provide it almost entirely without question. Yeah, if he needs context for the lyrics he's singing, that's fine, but he's at the beck and call of the two other bandmates. The same goes for any other member of the group. You've worked with each other for years, well over a decade - you all share the level of trust required to make an experiment like this work, it would be (I imagine) enormously fun, challenging, and best of all - different.

At the end of the experiment, finishing touches are put on each groups tracks, and a 3CD set is mastered. Each CD comprising of between 3 to 5 tracks, each group taking control of the artwork for their CD label, and name of their particular CD. Then, as one last decision, you all come together to decide on the album artwork, and the album name.

Typing this all out makes it sound like I spent a long time thinking about this, but really it only took about 5 or so minutes to flesh out. It just seemed so obvious that this should be your "next thing".

I hope that when you likely ignore this post, it at least inspires you to really reach for the stars on the next album, which no doubt you all are thinking about already.

Regards,
    A. Fan

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Someone needs to lock Mike in a closet away from the laptop and make the 5 other members actually come up with music.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Well, that was rather, interesting to read.

I've been posting regularly for a few months now and I only had seen people asking for/giving an opinion on how this or that album should sound, but this is probably the 1st time I read someone trying to actually tell them how to do things.

Welcome to the LPA, and I hope you stick around but honestly, I don't think that would work in any way :lol:

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

This message will now self destruct.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

So...instead of recording a Linkin Park album, they should record 3 side project EPs, box them together, and slap the Linkin Park name on it? :dafuq:

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

I kinda lol'ed at the part where he portrays Chester almost as if he was an object, like get over here, do these vocals, don't ask, here's some context for you and when you're done, there's the door.

That approach to me looks, so unproductive I don't even know where to start to point its flaws.

Jack_Farrell

Jack_Farrell KTTK is Chester suicide-diving off a cliff naked

I mean, I understand what he says and I think it's a good idea, but in the end the whole "lending" stuff is just the band being the band. What they need to do is, as Blackee said, crush Mike's fucking laptop and have the other guys start dropping demos. Brad's had a lot of the lately stuff (UIB's Chester's/Brad's part, HHH, bringing the tape of early music) but the guys should have a bigger say in the band; not just be lead by Mike and rally behind him. Go bonkers again, but go in a non-Mike centered bonkers approach. Do whatever they feel like. THIS would be a good change for the band. Breaking down self-imposed band limits. Have everyone do whatever they want. If they want to rap in a song, then do it. If they want to scream, do it. I don't want more LITEs, I don't want more I'll Be Gones. I want crazy ass shit that goes everywhere. For it to be boundless.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
    Rosh

Rosh Well-Known Member

I would love to see what other guys could solely come up with.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Team up Mike with Joe, and you won't get any instruments on the next album...

Melis

Melis when you're feeling empty, keep me in your memory LPA Super Member

I understand what he is trying to tell and actually I thing it is a good idea. But I don't think that should be so serious and they put all the diffrent songs on only one album. They could do that just for fun when they are bored or so ;)

CylockDNB

CylockDNB Well-Known Member

I want a Brad solo record. Trust me when I tell you, that could be seriously amazing.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Or so you'd assume

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

Based on previous work.... No i doubt it would.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

This was a nice read, but, dude, they're not going to listen to you. Even if they read this, because, you may not know this is not a site by Linkin Park, just a fansite.

Welcome to the LPA.

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

Linkin Park: "6th Album"

Produced by: Linkin Park [I want all the 6 members to share and be a part of the entire process.] [I think its enough already for Mike & Rubin.]

Sunset

Sunset Well-Known Member

Nice idea, but no. *Almost* all the lyrics come from Chester and Mike. And Mike does 70% of the work, so if we separate them, it's not gonna work.
    All I want to see on the next record is Brad singing again, and different stuff.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

One of the pre Living Things videos actually had Joe, and only Joe, being the one pushing for more "traditional" based rock songs on the album.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Mike's rap verses are already pretty "meh", but imagining a duo trying to write his lyrics for him WITHOUT his assistance makes me cringe like Meteora.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Welcome to the LPA, Nostradamus. As for what you've predicted, or dreamed up, none of us can tell what their writing process is going to look like for album 6. It's too early in the game.

Jack_Farrell

Jack_Farrell KTTK is Chester suicide-diving off a cliff naked

Instant gold. Man, now THAT is a good idea.